ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Hella Supertone (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1035161-hella-supertone.html)

stavrossthegreek 17 February 2016 08:01 PM

Hella Supertone

Hi guys,
I've fitted the classic red hella supertone behind the grill of my blobeye Impreza. The installation manual is rubbish and the usual help videos I find on YouTube have been rubbish as well!
Does anyone have the idiots guide to fitting the relay etc?
The easy option would find a professional but I'd rather do it myself!

mazbow 17 February 2016 09:23 PM

Don't worry about it mate I didn't fit it when I installed mine and they work just fine

Scubarroo 18 February 2016 07:48 PM

I too fitted them without the relay and they are fine.

madman69 18 February 2016 08:02 PM

yep mine to no relay and no probs

Mark10sti 18 February 2016 08:24 PM

What is the relay supposed to do?

Scubarroo 18 February 2016 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mark10sti (Post 11798322)
What is the relay supposed to do?

Baisicly the new horns take more power than the original horns and if the car originally only had one horn then there is plenty more power being drawn through the original system. The relay would switch the horns via a second circuit, so the original horn wires would power the coil of the relay. So now the horns need power from somewhere else, you could take a live from the battery through a inline fuse and onto the normally open side of the relay then to the horn. Put a earth from the horns onto the chassis, now when you press the horn instead of it powering the horns direct it will power the coil on the relay and change the normally open to closed and this will make a new circuit powering the horns.

Hope that explains it.

Mark10sti 19 February 2016 01:16 PM

So on a new age with two horns already I would not need the relay, it doesn't make the horn sound different/more powerful I guess

Steve T 19 February 2016 06:35 PM

I fitted mine with the relay but took it off because of water getting on it . No difference in the sound. Steve.

Scubarroo 19 February 2016 07:50 PM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...88415b1c53.jpg

Just a cool looking set of twin turbos :wonder:

Cambs_Stuart 22 February 2016 11:04 AM

I'm terrible with anything with wires in, but I have fitted some hellas using this guide:
https://youtu.be/EbiD9YRjlFU
And a month later (and lots of rain) they still work. The relay wasn't needed just some M & F spade terminals, a ring terminal, some electrical tape and wire.

chucky1970 22 March 2016 11:07 PM

i fitted my horns without relay aswell with no probs either

Cpt Jack Sparrow 23 March 2016 09:12 AM

no relay here either

yabbadoo4 15 May 2016 07:55 PM

guys i went to fit my hella,s today and after knocking up all the wires and connects etc and working out how to remove my grille only to discover i can fit the one on the right side (beside the sti badge) but at the left side there is some pipes which look like something to do with the air con? can this be removed at all? does everyone who has fitted these have the air con removed? really wanted them done today as the weather was decent! grrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!

Cambs_Stuart 15 May 2016 08:02 PM

Here is a picture of mine fitted.
I used the row of holes that run along beside the bonnet catch, behind the top of the grill. The ones on the drivers side hold the bonnet release cable in place, so I removed one of the cable holders and put a bolt through the hole. Just be careful you don't pinch the cable when you tighten the bolt up.
Apart from removin the brackets that held the old horns in place I didn't need to move any other hardware.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...a9ee4d9fac.jpg

yabbadoo4 15 May 2016 08:15 PM

cheers stuart, mine looks the same but coming in from the left side is some piping which sits right where the left horn would sit? it must be from the air con or i read somewhere else it could be the power steering cooler? is your air con removed btw? edited to say i have a bug sti so might be different to wrx,s ?

stavrossthegreek 15 May 2016 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by yabbadoo4 (Post 11833465)
cheers stuart, mine looks the same but coming in from the left side is some piping which sits right where the left horn would sit? it must be from the air con or i read somewhere else it could be the power steering cooler? is your air con removed btw?

I've got the same, I'd imagine it's a JDM thing as my one is an import.
I used the metal bars behind the hella horns to make a nice secure connection for both on the nearside.
Does anyone have a decent picture of the relay wired up. Pretty crap soo far trying to track down help.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...c793ca42a7.jpg

yabbadoo4 15 May 2016 08:34 PM

mine is a uk car tho? possibly the sti,s have this and wrx,s dont? i had thought about doing it the way you have but it looks better one per side!

Cambs_Stuart 15 May 2016 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by yabbadoo4 (Post 11833479)
mine is a uk car tho? possibly the sti,s have this and wrx,s dont? i had thought about doing it the way you have but it looks better one per side!

In that case I've no idea. Sorry. When I did mine there was nothing else in the way. I've still got the air con fitted. Mine is a wrx wagon, so it may be that it is slightly different to your sti.

CharlySkunkWeed 15 May 2016 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by yabbadoo4 (Post 11833465)
cheers stuart, mine looks the same but coming in from the left side is some piping which sits right where the left horn would sit? it must be from the air con or i read somewhere else it could be the power steering cooler? is your air con removed btw? edited to say i have a bug sti so might be different to wrx,s ?

I remember having the exact same issue with my Type UK bugeye. I can't remember the solution but vaguely remember taking a bracket off , turning in upside down , which made it pull the pipe back towards the rad just enough to squeeze the horn in front. It was tight but it fitted. Is there a bracket holding the pipe ?

yabbadoo4 16 May 2016 01:25 AM

yeah theres,s a bracket holding it but i cant see how to turn it upside down. will have another look when i get a chance

CharlySkunkWeed 16 May 2016 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by yabbadoo4 (Post 11833578)
yeah theres,s a bracket holding it but i cant see how to turn it upside down. will have another look when i get a chance

I think its a bracket this shape "p" with the round bit over the pipe. If you turn the bracket around to this shape "q" it pulls the pipe backwards just enough to fit horn.

joe v3sti 16 May 2016 08:15 AM

Genuine question here........
What's the attraction with these? It's a horn.
Seem to see loads of subarus with these on

Cambs_Stuart 16 May 2016 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by joe v3sti (Post 11833606)
Genuine question here........
What's the attraction with these? It's a horn.
Seem to see loads of subarus with these on

Fore the standard horns were a bit pathetic, these are louder without being ridiculous or non MOT compliant. Plus they're a relatively effective, if subtle, styling mod at no great cost and in my case were pretty easy to install.

yabbadoo4 16 May 2016 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed (Post 11833591)
I think its a bracket this shape "p" with the round bit over the pipe. If you turn the bracket around to this shape "q" it pulls the pipe backwards just enough to fit horn.

cheers bud, will have another look tomorrow if i get time. it looks odd both being on the same side so i def want one per side! just out of curiosity what is that pipework for? anyone know?