ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Apple ruining small businesses (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/1034721-apple-ruining-small-businesses.html)

pimmo2000 06 February 2016 09:37 PM

Apple ruining small businesses

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35502030

Quite a few fan boys here so tell me, how does this not make apple a greedy monopolistic bunch of *******s?

Posted from an iphone 6s by the way.

Tidgy 06 February 2016 09:43 PM

Interesting. Winder how that will pan out legally, i know car dealers arn't allowed to do it.

dpb 06 February 2016 09:56 PM

Keep everything inhouse , build up a buffer against the inevitable android take over

iv spent less than 3 quid with apple so far

JackClark 06 February 2016 11:16 PM

I just knew one of you buffoons would post a link bait title to this story.

I'll take security over being able to pay a moody bloke to do a dodgy repair.

"Ruining small businesses" that's a cracker, creased me up.

Tidgy 07 February 2016 12:33 AM

While the ruining small businesses is rollox. The legality of it may well not be jack. How would you like it if you bought something and had to take it back to the seller for repairs?

Galifrey 07 February 2016 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 11793294)
While the ruining small businesses is rollox. The legality of it may well not be jack. How would you like it if you bought something and had to take it back to the seller for repairs?

As long as it's an Apple product he wouldn't have it any other way :)

pimmo2000 07 February 2016 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11793276)

"link bait title" .. you click it .. so it worked ..

Security? someone fixing a screen? a button? seriously? there are thousands of little phone repair companies that survive on these little repairs.

What happens when the repairs stop coming in? er..? open your eyes.

**** sake

pimmo2000 07 February 2016 08:35 AM

*added to ignore list .. ah that's better

gazzawrx 07 February 2016 09:27 AM

Why is he a moody bloke, hes more than likely got the same technical skills that any apple tech has got and is more than capable to do the job, he dosen't however work for a MOODY company that seem dead set on fooking over customers at every avaliable oppurtunity with every route possible.

My missus took her ipod touch into the apple shop the other day to get help with something, after 2 hrs of waiting for an(using the word loosley) technician she was told the updates she needed were no longer avaliable and essentially the ipod was scrap, after the missus asked what she supposed to do with it now then? The guys smug response was "at least you can still play music on it".

APPLE are ****e end of and so far, so are most of the people ive encountered who work for them, in my opinion apple are the only MOODY company and everyone else who can help are knights in shining armour:thumb:

JackClark 07 February 2016 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 11793294)

I've bought lots of things and taken them back to the seller for repairs, it's usually the best avenue to take.

What some people fail to understand - corner shops included - is that TouchID is very secure and it's a very good idea to keep it that way. Have a read of this https://www.apple.com/business/docs/...rity_Guide.pdf it might help.

JackClark 07 February 2016 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by gazzawrx (Post 11793332)
Why is he a moody bloke, hes more than likely got the same technical skills that any apple tech has got and is more than capable to do the job, he dosen't however work for a MOODY company that seem dead set on fooking over customers at every avaliable oppurtunity with every route possible.

My missus took her ipod touch into the apple shop the other day to get help with something, after 2 hrs of waiting for an(using the word loosley) technician she was told the updates she needed were no longer avaliable and essentially the ipod was scrap, after the missus asked what she supposed to do with it now then? The guys smug response was "at least you can still play music on it".

APPLE are ****e end of and so far, so are most of the people ive encountered who work for them, in my opinion apple are the only MOODY company and everyone else who can help are knights in shining armour:thumb:

Rant much. I meant moody as in I walk in to ask a question and he's always in a mood. Bloody expensive too, both times I've ended up going to Apple for an official repair.

Tell your missus to book an appointment next time, it's what the rest of us do. You should take a look at Android phones if you want to see a lack of updates, shocking, how old was your iPod? I've seen Android phones less than a year old that can't get the latest updates and are essentially scrap like your iPod, at least they can still make calls on them though.

JackClark 07 February 2016 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by pimmo2000 (Post 11793315)
"link bait title" .. you click it .. so it worked ..

Security? someone fixing a screen? a button? seriously? there are thousands of little phone repair companies that survive on these little repairs.

What happens when the repairs stop coming in? er..? open your eyes.

**** sake

Open my eyes, it's you that's commenting about things you know nothing about. "little repairs" I posted a document earlier that you might like to read, secure enclave is a good start. And you can fix the screen no problem, just don't replace the button.

dpb 07 February 2016 10:37 AM

lots phones have touch id do they not

JackClark 07 February 2016 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11793358)
lots phones have touch id do they not

Yes, the iPhone 5s upwards. If you're suggesting that other brands of phones are using Apple's technology then no.

dpb 07 February 2016 03:17 PM

Yes Iv a feeling all iPhones updates are costing me data ..

My android was completely useable after 3 years btw

ScoobyDoo555 07 February 2016 04:06 PM

The screen "replacers" aren't the problem - the crafty shysters out there found an "in" using dodgy fingerprint home buttons.
Most screens can be replaced without changing the home-button.

Sensationalist reporting at best tbh.

andy97 07 February 2016 04:13 PM

Just because a device doesn't have the latest updates, does no take it scrap. My phone is still on Kitkat, perfectly usable, and modified to my requirements. It is 2 updates behind. It works just aswell the day I bought it and doesn't stop working because it hasn't got the latest OS.

Apple's behaviour of bricking devices which have had a perfectly satisfactory repair by a non apple repair centre appalling behaviour. Just shows a contempt for consumers. I hope this bites them on the arse.

JackClark 07 February 2016 04:23 PM

Pitchforks at dawn.

You crack on modifying your phone, I'm sure you're better at fixing security issues than Google and Apple. How dare they stop their operating system from working on shady hardware in the name of security! What utter wankers.

riiidaa 07 February 2016 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11793336)
I've bought lots of things and taken them back to the seller for repairs, it's usually the best avenue to take.

What some people fail to understand - corner shops included - is that TouchID is very secure and it's a very good idea to keep it that way. Have a read of this https://www.apple.com/business/docs/...rity_Guide.pdf it might help.

so then disable touch id, not brick phone

JackClark 07 February 2016 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by riiidaa (Post 11793466)
so then disable touch id, not brick phone

Read the document I linked, it's not that simple. What is simple is getting a real button.

markjmd 07 February 2016 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11793476)
Read the document I linked, it's not that simple. What is simple is getting a real button.

Please elaborate, or distill for us the vital essence of the 60-page doc you posted which would explain why:

Behaviour 1, phone software detects that possibly invalid hardware has been installed, and reacts to this by permanently and completely disabling the entire OS, and displaying 'Error 53'
could not quite easily be replaced by

Behaviour 2, phone software detects that possibly invalid hardware has been installed, and reacts to this by forcing the user to enter numeric passcode instead of using TouchID, and displaying a warning message permanently at the top/side/bottom of the screen, advising the user their phone may have been tampered with.
Once you've the done the above, we'll hopefully be in better a position to decide whether Apple are just being a bunch of miserable cvnts, or whether there's any truth to the claim that "Behaviour 1" was the sole option open to them entirely due to technical constraints :thumb:

gazzawrx 07 February 2016 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11793338)
Rant much. I meant moody as in I walk in to ask a question and he's always in a mood. Bloody expensive too, both times I've ended up going to Apple for an official repair.

Tell your missus to book an appointment next time, it's what the rest of us do. You should take a look at Android phones if you want to see a lack of updates, shocking, how old was your iPod? I've seen Android phones less than a year old that can't get the latest updates and are essentially scrap like your iPod, at least they can still make calls on them though.

She waited 2 hrs for the appointment, that was the point of the wait, :hjtwofing but after waiting 2hrs she was fobbed off in 30 seconds, imo thats taking the p1ss. The ipod is quite old now, she had it when they not long come out. Apple neglected to mention the thing would end up scrap after a few years when i was paying them iro £400 for it, again thats taking the p1ss.

As for android, i have a galaxy s6 edge and have had no trouble at all with updates, if anything it does my head in that i keep getting notifications to update the software/apps etc, so at the minute its good as is the missus' s4 mini thats just over 2 years old.

Oh and just so you know my kodi box is great:lol1:

hodgy0_2 07 February 2016 07:22 PM

jack,

Sorry, I appreciate your sanity on a lot of topics/threads - even the trivial "Apple are cvnts" threads

But I read about this "error 53" issue - and you are wrong

The implications for consumers are awful

If "cashless security" means consumers have to accept this b0ll0cks, then frankly let's keep cash

gazzawrx 07 February 2016 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11793476)

So what happens if a moody guy fits a 'real' button but is not an apple tech?

neil-h 07 February 2016 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by gazzawrx (Post 11793535)
So what happens if a moody guy fits a 'real' button but is not an apple tech?

Nothing. If I understand it right, the error 53 issue is caused by none OE hardware. Fit an OE button and the phone doesn't care.

gazzawrx 07 February 2016 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by neil-h (Post 11793540)
Nothing. If I understand it right, the error 53 issue is caused by none OE hardware. Fit an OE button and the phone doesn't care.

Fair enough, are rear buttons readily availiable though? Knowing apple probably not and if they are to come direct from apple, they will probably cost as much as a new phone anyway:lol1:

andy97 07 February 2016 09:30 PM

apple are going to get their fingers burnt over this policy. The phone belongs to the consumer and not apple. Rendering a phone useless and unable to retrieve their own personal data. Class action is coming their way

pimmo2000 08 February 2016 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by gazzawrx (Post 11793546)
Fair enough, are rear buttons readily availiable though? Knowing apple probably not and if they are to come direct from apple, they will probably cost as much as a new phone anyway:lol1:

that's the next catch, only supplied and fitted by Apple.

JackClark 08 February 2016 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by neil-h (Post 11793540)

Thats not true, the button needs to be coded to the secure enclave, your bloke down the shop might one day be able to do that but right now he can't. He shouldn't have told you he could repair it, if he'd read up he'd know he can't, but he took your money and left you with a bricked phone, but Apple are the wankers here. :)

JackClark 08 February 2016 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by andy97 (Post 11793604)
apple are going to get their fingers burnt over this policy. The phone belongs to the consumer and not apple. Rendering a phone useless and unable to retrieve their own personal data. Class action is coming their way

Bad Apple, such wankers for being so secure. We should burn them at the stake.