ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   JDM Version 5 STI vs 1995 WRX (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1034349-jdm-version-5-sti-vs-1995-wrx.html)

britishbulldog 27 January 2016 08:50 PM

JDM Version 5 STI vs 1995 WRX

I Decided to sell my Classic WRX a few years ago due to getting a company car, I miss it so much :cry: and cant handle only driving an insignia every day!

So I have just put a deposit on a JDM Version 5 STI :luvlove:, have only seen pics of it so far as its still in Japan , but can't wait to check it out properly.

I am going to notice much difference between the power of my old WRX (96) and the STI, there is only a 20bhp difference, is there any difference in power delivery or will I not really notice? and what about the handling, any differences?

Cheers

britishbulldog 28 January 2016 12:17 PM

No opinions?

So has no-one got any opinions?

Any opinion welcome even if its: sh**e car you should have bought a
(Spec C /insert model here / etc) :lol1:

banny sti 28 January 2016 12:50 PM

No comparison the sti 5 is much sharper and more responsive with the Vf28 turbo, handling should be a little better with the sti having alloy arms and better struts as standard.

veerinder9 28 January 2016 12:53 PM

A wrx is better than the sti. Period.

:lol1:

Ian 28 January 2016 12:53 PM

i would say it is a good step up over your old wrx

if it was me buying it i would

full service
oil
oil filter
fuel filter
air filter
spark plugs

then do any mods, exhaust etc if you want

then a map to run on uk fuels.

they are fantastic cars

any pictures?

banny sti 28 January 2016 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by veerinder9 (Post 11789101)
A wrx is better than the sti. Period.

Sounds like you're on your period bish :hjtwofing

britishbulldog 28 January 2016 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 11789102)
i would say it is a good step up over your old wrx

if it was me buying it i would

full service
oil
oil filter
fuel filter
air filter
spark plugs

then do any mods, exhaust etc if you want

then a map to run on uk fuels.

they are fantastic cars

any pictures?

It will be having Spark plugs, all fluids and filters changed, it has coilovers fitted and a HKS hi flow exhaust. Other than that its standard.

Does it really need a re-map as It will only ever be fed V-Power?

Its on the Hurst Cars website, Grey V5 STI, I will post a link later but you should be able to find it pretty easily.

Originally Posted by banny sti (Post 11789104)
Sounds like you're on your period bish :hjtwofing

Originally Posted by banny sti (Post 11789099)
No comparison the sti 5 is much sharper and more responsive with the Vf28 turbo, handling should be a little better with the sti having alloy arms and better struts as standard.

So how does the VF28 turbo differ from the TD05, Earlier spool, more boost? It has fully adjustable cusco coilovers fitted already (i'm assuming these are not standard?)

The WRX had a lot of understeer (was standard) how does the STI compare, how would I dial it out, would an uprated Rear ARB do the trick?

Going to get a full wheel alignment done, any suggestions of anything to do prior to getting that done?

Cheers and glad to be back in the Subaru fold :thumb:

banny sti 28 January 2016 02:54 PM

The VF28 is a ball bearing turbo so will spool earlier, also the stis run 1.1 bar boost as opposed to 0.9 bar for the wrx.

The sti is a little better but will still understeer so an ARB will be a big help, roll centre kit will also help and would also look for some better pads and discs for the woeful standard 4 pot brakes.

britishbulldog 28 January 2016 02:59 PM

Cheers for the advice didn't realise the standard brakes would be that bad!

What is a centre roll kit though? never heard of that!!

Also how is the quoted power for both the STI and WRX both 280bhp if the STI runs more boost? :wonder:

britishbulldog 28 January 2016 03:02 PM

Power

Banny,

What power is your STI running at now, seen a graph at 480 bhp :norty:

And if you don't mind me asking how much has it cost you to get where you are (ballpark figure is fine, you don't need to post a bank statement or anything:lol1:)

banny sti 28 January 2016 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by britishbulldog (Post 11789146)
Cheers for the advice didn't realise the standard brakes would be that bad!

What is a centre roll kit though? never heard of that!!

Also how is the quoted power for both the STI and WRX both 280bhp if the STI runs more boost? :wonder:

Standard brakes are pretty poor, me personally I would ditch them and get the brembo brakes from a newage ;)

from the whiteline site:

Product Benefits
KCA313 is designed to raise the front roll-centre geometry by using specially engineered ball-joints & tie rod ends while still maintaining original steering geometry. Front roll geometry actually encourages roll the lower you go. Testing proves that raising the front roll-centre resulted in a substantial increase to front roll resistance & a significant reduction in suspension compression of the outside front wheel during cornering (less roll). This improves weight distribution & maintains a better camber angle which ultimately improves front grip. The overall outcome is significantly reduced understeer through reduced front wheel compression as well as improved steering precision & vehicle stability.

They had a gentlemen agreement in Japan at the time all cars were quoted at 276ps but the stis were closed to 300ps and also run more torque than the same year wrx

Originally Posted by britishbulldog (Post 11789147)
Banny,

What power is your STI running at now, seen a graph at 480 bhp :norty:

And if you don't mind me asking how much has it cost you to get where you are (ballpark figure is fine, you don't need to post a bank statement or anything:lol1:)

it is running 449 bhp at the wheels which is around 550-570bhp at the flywheel, to get your car to 450 flywheel horsepower you're looking at least 8k :thumb:

britishbulldog 28 January 2016 04:06 PM

550 - 570 at the flywheel :D bet that thing absolutely flies!!

so you think my sti will be around 300 bhp then?

One of the other posters said it needs a remap to run on uk fuel :wonder: is that correct? I would only ever use V-power.

Last question, is it legal to run it without a speedo conversion so in KM/H?

Cheers

Ian 28 January 2016 05:43 PM

Hurst Cars is a good company to buy from, I this Richard from Zen Performance checks them over and maps if needed

kingofturds 28 January 2016 07:05 PM

Can a standard v5 ecu be remapped? or do they need an esl board?

britishbulldog 28 January 2016 07:30 PM

Mapping?

Yeah, I didn't think the standard ecu could be mapped, but they did say they will do a map health check, is that even possible on a standard ecu?

Will it need a remap to run on V-Power or will it be ok? Surely there are some JDM Classic STI's that are standard in the UK?

RAF1 28 January 2016 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by britishbulldog (Post 11789257)
Surely there are some JDM Classic STI's that are standard in the UK?

Yep and most have had engines go bang because of that. At worse use V-Power and some Octane Booster but ideally I think a mappable ECU, Upgraded Oil / Fuel Pump and should be ok.

Raf

banny sti 28 January 2016 07:58 PM

Version 5 sti's can be mapped with ecutek on eculabs on the standard ecu

britishbulldog 28 January 2016 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by banny sti (Post 11789271)
Version 5 sti's can be mapped with ecutek on eculabs on the standard ecu

That means I can do some mods and get it remapped without buying a new ecu, that frees up some cash :luxhello:

What would a map cost me?

Any suggestions on a good mapper in the northwest?

It seems this list of things I "need" is growing and I haven't even got the car yet :lol1:

The list is so far: (have put in order of priority so feel free to change the order if you think its not right

Its already got Adjustable Coilovers
a HKS exhaust. (assuming this is a Catback as it will come with a 12 month MOT) If I decat it I guess I will have to put the cat back on every year for MOT?

And it will be getting:

full service
oil
oil filter
fuel filter
air filter
spark plugs (is it worth changing the leads as well?)
Uprated Discs and Pads (Any recommendations?)
ARB
Roll centre kit
4 wheel alignment (seen someone mention replacing the bushes before getting this done, is this correct?)

What do you recommend to up the power?

And finally :wonder: when do I need to go Front Mount or is the STI top mount any good?

Cheers for all the advice so far, just trying to get back ahead of the game and learn as much as I can, the wait for it to arrive is going to be torture :brickwall

britishbulldog 28 January 2016 08:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here it is:

RAF1 28 January 2016 09:00 PM

I think a front grille should be on top of the list :) Looks well though.

I'd reccomend Andrew Carr / TeamCarr to re-map.

britishbulldog 28 January 2016 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by RAF1 (Post 11789341)
I think a front grille should be on top of the list :)

I'd reccomend Andrew Carr / TeamCarr to re-map.

Damn your good, u can see it needs a front grille from a side shot of the car, you got some mad skills :notworthy:notworthy:notworthy

Do you know How much would they charge for a map?

britishbulldog 28 January 2016 09:12 PM

i will be getting a front grille, best i have found is £45 so far, is that a good price?

Ian 28 January 2016 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by britishbulldog (Post 11789351)
i will be getting a front grille, best i have found is £45 so far, is that a good price?

is that to fit a 22b bumper like on your car or a standard one for a v5?

Get some mesh and make your own

britishbulldog 28 January 2016 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 11789360)
is that to fit a 22b bumper like on your car or a standard one for a v5?

Get some mesh and make your own

Good point, it was a standard V5, that didn't even register in my thought process :brickwall

RAF1 28 January 2016 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by britishbulldog (Post 11789350)
Damn your good, u can see it needs a front grille from a side shot of the car, you got some mad skills :notworthy:notworthy:notworthy

Do you know How much would they charge for a map?

lol - I saw the pics on there website. I 'think' its about £600 ish for the ECUTEK but drop them an email i'm sure they will give you a better idea of price / options available..

You may be lucky and it may have an aftermarket ECU so be sure to check once you get the car..

Alec 29 January 2016 06:14 AM

Here you go. http://teamcarr.net/ Click ECULabs logo for pricing

britishbulldog 29 January 2016 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Alec (Post 11789467)
Here you go. http://teamcarr.net/ Click ECULabs logo for pricing

:thumb:

britishbulldog 29 January 2016 10:07 AM

What Power can the top mount intercooler take? is there a noticeable lag if you move to front mount?

kingofturds 29 January 2016 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by RAF1 (Post 11789449)
lol - I saw the pics on there website. I 'think' its about £600 ish for the ECUTEK but drop them an email i'm sure they will give you a better idea of price / options available..

You may be lucky and it may have an aftermarket ECU so be sure to check once you get the car..

Do you know if an ecutek remap allows for a maf delete? as I hear the maf sensors are a bit ropey on the v5's.

cheers kot.

banny sti 29 January 2016 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by kingofturds (Post 11789599)
Do you know if an ecutek remap allows for a maf delete? as I hear the maf sensors are a bit ropey on the v5's.

cheers kot.

Ecutek does not allow removal of the maf sensor but eculabs does :thumb: