ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Selling car, private plate question? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1033794-selling-car-private-plate-question.html)

Bean592 13 January 2016 06:12 PM

Selling car, private plate question?

As some of you may or may not know I'm thinking of selling my Widetrack Blob at some point this year. But currently I have my private plate on it. Now my question is I don't want to remove it until I have a buyer or until I'm fully committed to selling it. So the best scenario is that the buyer pays a deposit and waits until the plate is removed (but I know if I was buying I don't know if I could wait that long) or is there any other way, maybe do the change as the buyer collects so I get my plate and they get the logbook in their name? Help!!! :-(

Emmaroids 13 January 2016 06:16 PM

i did this when i sold my car, you have to pay £80 to put the plate on retention. then the dvla will send you a new v5 and a retention certificate.
i did it online and got the v5 within a week so it shouldnt hold the sale up to much like the postal way will.
then when you have a new car and get the v5 in your name you can also put the new plate on the new car online too and i beleive it is free to do so as long as you have the plate on retention with the certificate.
if you sell the car with the plate the new owner then owns the plate so id be wary of this option unless you know and trust the new owner

Bean592 13 January 2016 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Emmaroids (Post 11782137)
i did this when i sold my car, you have to pay £80 to put the plate on retention. then the dvla will send you a new v5 and a retention certificate.
i did it online and got the v5 within a week so it shouldnt hold the sale up to much like the postal way will.
then when you have a new car and get the v5 in your name you can also put the new plate on the new car online too and i beleive it is free to do so as long as you have the plate on retention with the certificate.
if you sell the car with the plate the new owner then owns the plate so id be wary of this option unless you know and trust the new owner

Ahh ok, so if I do it online the new logbook only takes a week to be returned? That's not a bad scenario and I'll check what it says online. I won't be buying another car at the min as I have my workhorse and the scoob is only my weekend toy :-)

I have had the plate many years but with all the new rules being put in its all changed since I last changed it. Also if I took it off first then I'd have to change the insurance back to the origanal plate and the costs incurred with that :-(

Emmaroids 13 January 2016 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Bean592 (Post 11782141)
Ahh ok, so if I do it online the new logbook only takes a week to be returned? That's not a bad scenario and I'll check what it says online. I won't be buying another car at the min as I have my workhorse and the scoob is only my weekend toy :-)

I have had the plate many years but with all the new rules being put in its all changed since I last changed it. Also if I took it off first then I'd have to change the insurance back to the origanal plate and the costs incurred with that :-(

i did it just before xmas and id say its quicker to do it online as its processed instantly and payment is taken by card.

get insurance with moley, no charge for plate change :thumb:

Bean592 13 January 2016 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Emmaroids (Post 11782143)
i did it just before xmas and id say its quicker to do it online as its processed instantly and payment is taken by card.

get insurance with moley, no charge for plate change :thumb:

Thank you for the info, I'm going to look into it online :-)

I did get a quote with moley but unfortunately he couldn't beat my current insurer Hastings so I just stuck with them (multi car)

bustaMOVEs 13 January 2016 06:53 PM

can only do it online during office hours as they have workers on other end to do it live

Emmaroids 13 January 2016 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs (Post 11782161)
can only do it online during office hours as they have workers on other end to do it live

yes i read that part, strange in this day and age

Bean592 13 January 2016 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs (Post 11782161)

It is a bit poor that but still better than waiting the 3 weeks or so like in the old days.

Got my advert wrote out just need to make my mind up what to do now :/

bustaMOVEs 13 January 2016 07:15 PM

Yep, well it is the dvla.

I need to remove mine at some point too.

Bean592 15 January 2016 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs (Post 11782169)
Yep, well it is the dvla.

I need to remove mine at some point too.

How come you are removing yours?

At least the DVLA are moving forward even if it if for Thor own gain (new tax rules)

Anyway need to sort out if I can let her go to a new home now I've found out it's quite simple these days to remove my plate :)

bustaMOVEs 15 January 2016 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bean592 (Post 11782917)
How come you are removing yours?

At least the DVLA are moving forward even if it if for Thor own gain (new tax rules)

Anyway need to sort out if I can let her go to a new home now I've found out it's quite simple these days to remove my plate :)

Because mine came with car and it says p1 on it, and mines a type r.
Don't really suit

Bean592 15 January 2016 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs (Post 11782996)
Because mine came with car and it says p1 on it, and mines a type r.
Don't really suit

Ahh ok get your point, lol!

I've had mine years but only had it on 2 cars my Astra GSi and the scooby ;)