ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Whats involved to convert a Hatch 2.5 STi to 2.0 STi (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1033661-whats-involved-to-convert-a-hatch-2-5-sti-to-2-0-sti.html)

scoobyboy1 09 January 2016 09:53 PM

Whats involved to convert a Hatch 2.5 STi to 2.0 STi

Probably been asked before, but whats involved to convert for example a UK STi hatch 2.5 to run a 2.0 STi engine from say a blob widetrack STi!!! Been talking to a friend about this conversion and was wondering what sort of costs/work involved, not seen many conversion done like this, but anything is possible I guess so anyone seen it done??

8ulldog 09 January 2016 09:55 PM

Why? Surely you'd be better served strengthening the 2.5 engine already in situ? Probably cheaper than a full swap as well.

sy. 09 January 2016 10:01 PM

Was having this conversation before Xmas mate as It was a poss route for me, it's going from dbw back to dbc and from 32 bit ecu to 16 bit may be wrong but stand alone ecu would be best I think also the twin Avcs?

scoobyboy1 09 January 2016 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by 8ulldog (Post 11780598)
Why? Surely you'd be better served strengthening the 2.5 engine already in situ? Probably cheaper than a full swap as well.

I said to my friend that I'll put the question to Scoobynet and see what they say, and his words where, someone will say "why dont you just make the 2.5 stronger":D

But for arguments sake that someone was really determined that they wanted a 2.0 or maybe a 2.1 stroker using a 2.0 CDB, what would be involved, and lets say that they had a cheap hatch STi with a blown engine that could be done to it!

scoobyboy1 09 January 2016 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by sy. (Post 11780602)
Was having this conversation before Xmas mate as I was a poss route for me, it's going from dbw back to dbc and from 32 bit ecu to 16 bit may be wrong but stand alone ecu would be best I think also twin Avcs?

How's it going Sy:thumb: Hows the JDM hawk??

Think it would be easier to drop a hatch STi down to Matty, and say sort that and tell me how much!!!:D Never seen it done, so wondered why no one has ever done it.

sy. 09 January 2016 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1 (Post 11780609)
How's it going Sy:thumb: Hows the JDM hawk??

Think it would be easier to drop a hatch STi down to Matty, and say sort that and tell me how much!!!:D Never seen it done, so wondered why no one has ever done it.

Has deffo been done, or yeah agree just get Matty on it lol. Glad I choose the hawk in the end a jdm hatch was just to much £££ for me and as every scoobie the mainatance and mods I've spent over 1k on her already lol.

chrispy200+ 09 January 2016 10:25 PM

Thought the twin avcs heads wouldn't work on a 2ltr block

The Pink Ninja 10 January 2016 12:01 AM

Pretty sure I guy I know has had this done, dropped a 2.0l in with a different ecu as the camshaft sensors are different he used a syveccs I think but don't hold me to it

scoobyboy1 10 January 2016 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by The Pink Ninja (Post 11780657)
Pretty sure I guy I know has had this done, dropped a 2.0l in with a different ecu as the camshaft sensors are different he used a syveccs I think but don't hold me to it

Does he use Scoobynet??? or any other Forums?? You got any links or any more info about it.:thumb:

MOTORS S GT 10 January 2016 05:37 PM

I have fitted a JDM Legacy GT 2.0 into a customers 2.5 Hatch, used the 2.5 inlet complete, 2.0 Legacy was twin avc's anyway with the correct cam triggers, on the OE 2.5 remapped ECU.
Also done 3 or 4 2.35's into Hatches, using all the 2.5 top end, although the twin avc's 2.5 cylinder heads don't take kindly to 14mm studs, they are very thin castings & distort very badly.
You can use single avcs heads from a normal 2.0,with std triggers, but you will need to either run a aftermarket ECU, or modify the inlet triggers & cam to suit an OE ECU, & remap.

scoobyboy1 10 January 2016 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by MOTORS S GT (Post 11780919)
I have fitted a JDM Legacy GT 2.0 into a customers 2.5 Hatch, used the 2.5 inlet complete, 2.0 Legacy was twin avc's anyway with the correct cam triggers, on the OE 2.5 remapped ECU.
Also done 3 or 4 2.35's into Hatches, using all the 2.5 top end, although the twin avc's 2.5 cylinder heads don't take kindly to 14mm studs, they are very thin castings & distort very badly.
You can use single avcs heads from a normal 2.0,with std triggers, but you will need to either run a aftermarket ECU, or modify the inlet triggers & cam to suit an OE ECU, & remap.

Thanks Paul:thumb: If my mate goes through with it, I'll send him your way!!;)