ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   in car camera (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1033147-in-car-camera.html)

saxon 26 December 2015 01:30 PM

in car camera

Looking for recommendations on a in car camera please got gopros but looking more for one to dispute insurance claims so looking for gopro sort of quality any recommendations would be appreciated thanks mike

riiidaa 26 December 2015 01:50 PM

mini 0806, youtube search techmoan

cam87 26 December 2015 02:17 PM

got a transcend drivepro 200 myself and cant fault it including playback on the computer. offers 720 or 1080 hd quality

JDM_Stig 26 December 2015 03:43 PM

MiVue 518

pimmo2000 27 December 2015 05:07 AM

Just had the F750 installed and pretty impressed. Comes with GPS, wireless, parking mode and some other bits.

I turned off speed camera detection though, it drives me nuts.

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX 27 December 2015 06:03 PM

Hi,
Just to let you know that a wide range of insurance schemes do offers discounts for a wide range of in-car cameras. If you'd like any further details then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

DemonDave 27 December 2015 09:18 PM

cost v quality - mini 0806

riiidaa 27 December 2015 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by DemonDave (Post 11775593)
cost v quality - mini 0806

discreet too, with no poxy chrome or silver in the window

lozgti1 27 December 2015 10:51 PM

Find the whole idea of cameras in cars and on cyclists heads just something else.Especially holier than though cyclists.Creepy

pimmo2000 28 December 2015 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by lozgti1 (Post 11775615)
Find the whole idea of cameras in cars and on cyclists heads just something else.Especially holier than though cyclists.Creepy

You say that till you need to prove you're not in the wrong.

PaulC72 28 December 2015 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX (Post 11775534)
Hi,
Just to let you know that a wide range of insurance schemes do offers discounts for a wide range of in-car cameras. If you'd like any further details then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

Dan, curious to know if you have a policy which gives a discount for having a cam installed, will they by default request the video should an incident occur (regardless of fault) so it could prove that you were in the wrong where sometimes you may have got a 50/50?

Also what would happen should you have an incident but the camera was off?

dpb 29 December 2015 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by pimmo2000 (Post 11775842)
You say that till you need to prove you're not in the wrong.

I think when you get middle aged women riding the heaviest basket bedecked safety bikes sporting helmet cams you start to wonder...

Bit like security industry , self fulfilling prophecy

horsham rc 29 December 2015 09:57 AM

I've just got a next base 101 nice small reasonable video quality and it hides behind the rear view mirror if I'm honest I've forgotten it's there lol.

Puff The Magic Wagon! 29 December 2015 02:10 PM

K1S Dual Camera

So that's back & front covered. Cams are small & discrete with a control module/screen you can hide away someplace.

ossett2k2 29 December 2015 03:05 PM

Do you guys wire the cams into the car or have them charged so no need for wires?
Just wondering how long a average cam would last on its battery's.
Don't like the idea of having a wire coming from the cig lighter and trailing up to the windscreen.

pimmo2000 29 December 2015 08:57 PM

mines wired in, with the wires hidden. It has no battery and runs off the car.

Allan 30 December 2015 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by pimmo2000 (Post 11775363)
Just had the F750 installed and pretty impressed. Comes with GPS, wireless, parking mode and some other bits.

I turned off speed camera detection though, it drives me nuts.

Very impressed with mine also, parking mode is very good with integrated power management if hardwired in. Quality from both cameras is excellent, the only downside is the front unit is a little larger than some. Also has a great app for checking settings and downloading footage.

ScoobyDoo555 30 December 2015 12:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I bought a "cheap" 0803 camera - hardwired in as well. Just chucked up some footage on to youtube.

Attachment 39123

camera footage is brilliant tbh.

Puff The Magic Wagon! 01 January 2016 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by ossett2k2 (Post 11776012)
Do you guys wire the cams into the car or have them charged so no need for wires?
Just wondering how long a average cam would last on its battery's.
Don't like the idea of having a wire coming from the cig lighter and trailing up to the windscreen.

Mine's wired in. Front Cam is behind the rearview mirror, the other is top middle of rear screen (privacy glass) and both virtually un-noticeable. Wires through the headlining and down A-pillar to control module in the front glove-box. Its then wired into the SatNav screen, so I can use the rear cam to keep an eye on things being towed.

Small test video

IIRC my cam uses GoPro batteries and is good for about 90 minutes.

madman69 01 January 2016 06:50 PM

am sorry but those f...ers on the bikes should all be given tickets if you was on the road driving like that!!!!!!!!

ALi-B 01 January 2016 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX (Post 11775534)
Hi,
Regards,
Dan.

Just a quick question, and not really wanting to divert the thread even though its kind of related.

If I were to have a insurer approved dash cam and had a discount. Are there any typical terms and conditions that the insurer demands with the camera's use and when making a claim...

Does it have to be recording everytime the car is driven? When making a claim, is the policy holder obligated to provide all recorded footage including non-accident related footage (i.e you driving 10mins earlier)? Does vehicle speed need to be logged?

andy97 01 January 2016 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by madman69 (Post 11777129)
am sorry but those f...ers on the bikes should all be given tickets if you was on the road driving like that!!!!!!!!

In English please

PaulC72 01 January 2016 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11777135)
Just a quick question, and not really wanting to divert the thread even though its kind of related.

If I were to have a insurer approved dash cam and had a discount. Are there any typical terms and conditions that the insurer demands with the camera's use and when making a claim...

Does it have to be recording everytime the car is driven? When making a claim, is the policy holder obligated to provide all recorded footage including non-accident related footage (i.e you driving 10mins earlier)? Does vehicle speed need to be logged?

Hopefully Dan will reply to both our insurance related cam queries at some point.

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX 02 January 2016 07:00 PM

Hi,
Just to let you know that currently the schemes we operate that give a discount for one of our approved in-car cameras don't actually endorse the policy with any specific terms regarding the cameras usage however if we are providing a discount for the fitment of one we would expect it to be operational when the car is being driven. If the vehicle is involved in an accident the insurer would expect any in-car footage at the time of the incident to be made available regardless of circumstances. If the are prepared to offer discounts for them then it's not unreasonable for them to ask for any available footage.
Regards,
Dan.

Cambs_Stuart 26 April 2016 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX (Post 11777427)
Hi,
Just to let you know that currently the schemes we operate that give a discount for one of our approved in-car cameras don't actually endorse the policy with any specific terms regarding the cameras usage however if we are providing a discount for the fitment of one we would expect it to be operational when the car is being driven. If the vehicle is involved in an accident the insurer would expect any in-car footage at the time of the incident to be made available regardless of circumstances. If the are prepared to offer discounts for them then it's not unreasonable for them to ask for any available footage.
Regards,
Dan.

What cameras do you approve?

CrisPDuk 26 April 2016 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by madman69 (Post 11777129)

I may be misunderstanding you, but what is wrong with the way they are riding :wonder:

Wouldie 26 April 2016 02:39 PM

Yes l'd be interested in finding out what in car camera's are acceptable for insurance discounts.:luxhello:

fat-thomas 26 April 2016 02:48 PM

i have a transcend drive pro 220 hardwired to the fuse box.
its pretty much fit and forget.

Wurzel 26 April 2016 03:53 PM

I have a Koonlung K1S dual camera setup in mine one front and one rear same as Puff. Only problem is the video footage is not admissable as evidence in court, does not give you insurance discount and may also get you in trouble for recording someone without their consent. Don't you just love German common sense.

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX 26 April 2016 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Wouldie (Post 11825597)
Yes l'd be interested in finding out what in car camera's are acceptable for insurance discounts.:luxhello:

Hi,
Please see below link for an up to date list of the cameras we give discounts for.
https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/dash-cam-insurance/
Regards,
Dan.