ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Taking your dog for a walk in the wet, dark muddy evenings....... (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1032893-taking-your-dog-for-a-walk-in-the-wet-dark-muddy-evenings.html)

LSherratt 15 December 2015 05:35 PM

Taking your dog for a walk in the wet, dark muddy evenings.......

How are you guys coping? Every single damn field is like a mud bath. This is what annoys me the most! The rain and the dark I can deal with as I take out a huge Fenix torch but its the mud that's really grinding me! Every walk my dog comes back literally soaked, he may as well have jumped in a lake and added to that is dirt and mud all in his fur which means I have to spend about 20 minutes every evening trying to get the mutt clean and dry! I wish I could stick to roads and pavements but that's no exercise so we have to go off-lead through fields.

Anyone else feeling the frustration? If we had a proper icy winter, the fields would be solid/frozen which would be a lot better but no, they're like bogs at the moment! :o

Dave Y 15 December 2015 05:39 PM

My dog goes out twice a day.Muddy water is like a magnet to her.
LS is that a rechargeable torch you have ?

alcazar 15 December 2015 05:42 PM

Let the dog off a lead, it will do what dogs do.

dpb 15 December 2015 05:49 PM

green grass , fields ..!

you're spoilt

LSherratt 15 December 2015 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Y (Post 11771753)
My dog goes out twice a day.Muddy water is like a magnet to her.
LS is that a rechargeable torch you have ?

It's not rechargeable as such, but I use Fenix rechargeable lithium batteries in it with a quality charger. It's the Fenix TK35 which is a medium size torch but extremely bright for it's size. It'll fit in a coat pocket and has 4 light level settings.

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11771760)
green grass , fields ..!
you're spoilt

:lol1:

Norman Dog 15 December 2015 07:07 PM

We have a nice big garden and a Chihuahua that doesn't really like to walk, so I just chuck her out there. :D

Scooby.Newbie 15 December 2015 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Norman Dog (Post 11771797)
We have a nice big garden and a Chihuahua that doesn't really like to walk, so I just chuck her out there. :D

Diito.

Have a Jack Russell and a garden big enough for her to run around like an idiot in, her main focus is chasing the increasing number of Doves and Wood Pigeons that seem to spend their days hanging about out there.

Sarg400 15 December 2015 07:51 PM

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...fd1c76c26.jpeg

Paben 15 December 2015 08:34 PM

Use the pressure washer. Tie the dog to the mountain bike and sort them both at the same time, easy! :luxhello:

LSherratt 15 December 2015 09:33 PM

I've got a farm and my back garden is literally half a field for him to run around in. He doesn't exercise properly though, just mooches about during the day. This is why he needs a proper walk through fields in the evening!

PaulC72 15 December 2015 09:57 PM

Just walk ours on the roads in the week but try to get into the fields at the weekend so it's not too bad, although 2 weeks ago it was really muddy, we had problems with horses in the field so had to go round it was blowing a gale - fun nevertheless.

ALi-B 15 December 2015 10:50 PM

My dog fits in the sink and I have a spray/hose thingy on the end of the kitchen tap (you know, like you see in the fancy kitchen adverts on the telly :D ).

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11771755)
Let the dog off a lead, it will do what dogs do.

Yeah, mine will make a bolt back for the house if its raining LOL.

ditchmyster 15 December 2015 11:14 PM

With the space you have, just get another dog and you won't have to go anywhere, they'll exercise themselves together running all over the place playing with each other. ;)

Devildog 16 December 2015 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by LSherratt (Post 11771749)
How are you guys coping? Every single damn field is like a mud bath. This is what annoys me the most! The rain and the dark I can deal with as I take out a huge Fenix torch but its the mud that's really grinding me! Every walk my dog comes back literally soaked, he may as well have jumped in a lake and added to that is dirt and mud all in his fur which means I have to spend about 20 minutes every evening trying to get the mutt clean and dry! I wish I could stick to roads and pavements but that's no exercise so we have to go off-lead through fields.

Anyone else feeling the frustration? If we had a proper icy winter, the fields would be solid/frozen which would be a lot better but no, they're like bogs at the moment! :o

A young Shepherd shouldn't be getting too much exercise until he's fully developed - lead walks on less muddy areas will be enough.

Clean dog + no risk of long term joint and bone issues due to over exercising :thumb:

Miniman 16 December 2015 09:56 AM

Yep mud is an issue. I like to take her out on the trails rather than round the streets, so she can go off the lead. She's not bothered about the mud or puddles, it's just me really! Hoping we get colder weather to solidify the ground a little it will make walking easier!

pimmo2000 18 December 2015 06:41 AM

Long hair GSD owner here and I feel your pain .. stupid ****ing dog aims for mud and water and every time I threaten not to dry her when I get home ..

nortonscooby 18 December 2015 07:07 AM

Ive got a sprocker and she gets really muddy. Take her out twice a day and have to mop the kitchen floor when we get back.

Turbohot 18 December 2015 10:33 AM

My son also has this complain wth muddy paths. He was talking about the fog being another hurdle for dog walking.

This has just given me an idea. I can get him a top notch torch for his dog walking as a Christmas stocking filler. Something that tears through the fog, something that spots things from miles! Men are obsessed with torches, anyway. I'm sure he'll appreciate that.

Back on the topic, although cats serve different purpose to what a dog serves, I am lucky that I don't have to take them out for a walk, as they take themselves out for a wander. On occasions, I have seen that they had brought some little mud on them. But I don't have to clean them, as they wash themselves prim n' proper for ages with their thorny tongue. Thin one won't let me, but I do towel dry my fat cat sometimes when he comes back in after his galavanting session in rain.

Coc-ker 21 December 2015 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Devildog (Post 11771981)
A young Shepherd shouldn't be getting too much exercise until he's fully developed - lead walks on less muddy areas will be enough.

Clean dog + no risk of long term joint and bone issues due to over exercising :thumb:

This!

How are you cleaning the dog? I have a GSD too and it takes less than 5 minutes to towel him off, and he loves the mud!

Tim.

fatscoobfella1 23 December 2015 08:55 PM

Same as..

Our GSD takes about 5 mins tops to rub down with old towels and they got straight in the washer..
We live within the peak district national park and ours gets muddy most days,he loves laying and digging in old tractor tracks...

When he is old enough you could always play ball and find within your garden.. GSD's love to work,they find it really enjoyable.... But they will get lazy if you let them.

RS_Matt 29 December 2015 12:08 PM

We've taken our 30lb cat for a walk a few times but there's always someone walking a Staffy who feels they have to walk towards us.

pimmo2000 29 December 2015 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by RS_Matt (Post 11775970)
We've taken our 30lb cat for a walk a few times but there's always someone walking a Staffy who feels they have to walk towards us.

:confused:

dpb 29 December 2015 12:50 PM

That does seem bizarre , you cant make a cat into a dog

Swift Nick 29 December 2015 10:27 PM

Guys, (and girls) just be aware this is rife in sleeply old Wiltshire at the moment and seems to be moving about.

Something I'd never heard of before but it aint pretty. Alabamha Rot. No known reason why it occurs but woodlands and mud seem a big factor. Have a google it can lead to a dogs death in under 2 weeks if not treated quickly. :(

Turbohot 29 December 2015 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by RS_Matt (Post 11775970)

Well, your 30lb Ludo the cat could have been capable to maul a staffy if it were a cheetah. :D

ScoobyDoo555 30 December 2015 09:20 AM

My Lab & Spaniel have road walks during the week (especially at the moment). We've got fields right by the house too - reserved for weekends and holiday time at the moment.

joz8968 31 December 2015 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11775991)
That does seem bizarre , you cant make a cat into a dog

O2 seem to think otherwise. ;)

Turbohot 01 January 2016 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by joz8968 (Post 11776931)
O2 seem to think otherwise. ;)

Yes, I don't know why. In my opinion, this sort of expectation undermines wonderful cats.

joz8968 02 January 2016 12:41 AM

lol

ven 02 January 2016 01:05 AM

Get a tripod, set one of these up on it Fenix tk75vnQ70 (4X xhp70 leds)at 14,000 out the front lumens (or 16,000 with new carrier mod),2 run time kits and let him off . Should be good to cover a decent area:lol1:
http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/...pstluflnwp.jpg

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1hf4v4jx.jpg