ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Member's Gallery (https://www.scoobynet.com/members-gallery-5/)
-   -   MY97 v3 Sti ra (https://www.scoobynet.com/members-gallery-5/1032700-my97-v3-sti-ra.html)

Classic_Marc 08 December 2015 10:55 AM

MY97 v3 Sti ra

4 Attachment(s)
Here's a couple of pics of my new v3 Sti ra. Imported in July it's pretty standard and I intend to keep it that way.

I'm going to change the arb's and drop links at some point and possibly fit brembos all round. What sort of conversion will I need to do for the rear brake callipers?

I've already got fog covers and a cobra decat centre section to fit as the cat has been welded during its life.

I'm still unsure if I should convert it the mph. It's not really bothering me.

It's running on shell optimax As I understand it will be fine running on this without a remap? or will I need to get it done if I fit the decat centre section?

Sorry for all the questions I'm new to jdm I had a uk turbo for 8 years but sold it earlier in the year.

Attachment 39657

Attachment 39658

Attachment 39659

My old uk turbo.

Attachment 39660

Tony Harrington 08 December 2015 11:07 AM

Looks like a nice clean example!

nardoblue 12 December 2015 10:32 AM

Fantastic looking car, the classics look so wright

scoobydreamer11 12 December 2015 02:54 PM

Any uk fuel will be fine mate. Obviously the higher the octane the better but in Japan they rate their fuel differently to us. So their higher octane (103 is it?) is the same stuff as our 99 etc. Lovely looking ra mate!!!

Tom

**jay** 12 December 2015 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by scoobydreamer11 (Post 11770771)
Any uk fuel will be fine mate. Obviously the higher the octane the better but in Japan they rate their fuel differently to us. So their higher octane (103 is it?) is the same stuff as our 99 etc. Lovely looking ra mate!!!

Tom

Nope jap fuel is of higher RON so even v power at 99 will not quite be enough and needs an bottle of octane booster to be safe ish

ossett2k2 12 December 2015 04:40 PM

Lovely car :thumb:
I thought v3 was MY97 tho?

Classic_Marc 12 December 2015 05:09 PM

Thanks for the comments, the paper work I have for the car says it was registered in November '96. I just had the cambelt changed and needed the earlier piston tensioner from a v2. Wish I'd known that before I ordered the kit.

ossett2k2 12 December 2015 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Classic_Marc (Post 11770804)
Thanks for the comments, the paper work I have for the car says it was registered in November '96. I just had the cambelt changed and needed the earlier piston tensioner from a v2. Wish I'd known that before I ordered the kit.

I did exactly the same on my old v3 RA,it's on the cross over period so some v3's have the older style tensioner.
Build in November 96 then your car is a MY97

Classic_Marc 12 December 2015 07:34 PM

Ah ok, my97 it its. Cheers

Welloilbeefhooked 13 December 2015 10:37 AM

Nice reg plate on a cool car!

DaveMK39 13 December 2015 11:48 AM

gotta love the classics. is it cavity waxed and undersealed?

Jaysz 13 December 2015 10:21 PM

Cool car not the easiest version for rear brembos as these had different brake set up
Mine was ok with fpr decat and fmic but yours might not be same

ScruffyDoo 14 December 2015 06:15 AM

Impressive looks. nice car you got there

Welloilbeefhooked 14 December 2015 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Jaysz (Post 11771175)
Cool car not the easiest version for rear brembos as these had different brake set up
Mine was ok with fpr decat and fmic but yours might not be same

My v3 type r came with single pot callipers on solid 290mm discs and r180 hubs. Easiest way to mount 2 pots or Brembos is to fit v4 or later r180 hubs. Changing the backing plates on your hubs can be done but cost you a bearing per side at £70 each

Jaysz 14 December 2015 10:40 AM

Ok cheers so just need hubs and brakes

Silver Scooby Sport 14 December 2015 04:20 PM

The other way to fit rears as I have done on mine, remove dust guards and use brackets and oversized handbrake shoes to make the inner hub size larger then you can fit caliper and disc from a new age. The only rear caliper to keep away from is off a hatch as they are different again plus normally black in colour... Front will be fine, all you need to do is have the classic PCD drilled out on the discs if they are after MY05.

Welloilbeefhooked 14 December 2015 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Scooby Sport (Post 11771393)
The other way to fit rears as I have done on mine, remove dust guards and use brackets and oversized handbrake shoes to make the inner hub size larger then you can fit caliper and disc from a new age. The only rear caliper to keep away from is off a hatch as they are different again plus normally black in colour... Front will be fine, all you need to do is have the classic PCD drilled out on the discs if they are after MY05.

If he has the oddball v3 hubs like the type r the adapters to fit 2 pots and brembos onto the rear 266mm disc hubs wont fit. Did yours have r180 rear hubs on the ra Silver?

Silver Scooby Sport 14 December 2015 05:50 PM

Good point did I miss that, I had sliding rear calipers on mine.
Will the rear Brembo's fit straight on with a smaller disc ?

Welloilbeefhooked 14 December 2015 06:24 PM

Sliding rear callipers with 266mm discs allow the use of adapter brackets as you say. If the op has 290mm discs with sliding callipers then its a hub change.

Jaysz 14 December 2015 06:25 PM

V3 sti ra,r even has discs that cant be swapped with other versions sure brake mounting holes also different and no brackets available handbrake shoes not same
So as said looks like easier to change hubs

Welloilbeefhooked 14 December 2015 06:31 PM

In any case always larger discs with the brembos

Classic_Marc 14 December 2015 10:36 PM

Thanks for the replies regarding the brake question. It has single pot sliding calipers I'm not sure on the diameter of the disc. Looks like I'll be going for the hub conversion. So to be clear on the donor car for the hubs.

V4 or newer sti classic?
Newage wrx or sti 100pcd?

Thanks for the help.

Classic_Marc 14 December 2015 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by DaveMK39 (Post 11770986)
gotta love the classics. is it cavity waxed and undersealed?

It's not been cavity waxed or undersealed. I can't decide what to do for underside protection. It's in good condition underneath and in the arches. I don't think I could bring myself to paint all the nice white bits black. Is there any sort of clear coat protection that can be applied?

ditchmyster 15 December 2015 09:03 AM

Just leave the brakes alone and let the car stay standard, Learn to enjoy it for what it is, including it's shortcomings.;)

As for fuel, at the very least have it checked on a dyno for any det, 99 ron would be my choice, if you plan on keeping it then I would go for ESL daughter board and remap for mods and UK fuel of your choice.

Any other way and you're rolling the dice with your engine. :thumb:

Classic_Marc 15 December 2015 10:12 AM

What do you mean by shortcomings? I will be upgrading the brakes at some point. I always wanted to do it on my last classic as I found the brakes to be the biggest let down in terms of feel and brake fade even with decent discs and pads.

Jaysz 15 December 2015 11:05 AM

Swapped front brakes on my v3 still ra as had sliders on the front made an improvement also found swapping suspension, tyres and geometry set up made a lot of difference