ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Amazon Firestick ..... (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/1032622-amazon-firestick.html)

Dirk Diggler 75 06 December 2015 01:10 PM

Amazon Firestick .....

Hello all,anybody got one and are they any good,do they buffer or is the streaming fine got sky fibre broadband.

Cheers ...

Fonzey 06 December 2015 01:33 PM

Recently got a new TV for front room, so old TV became bedroom TV. Got a firestick for that.

So far, seems fine. Streams on my 6mbps rural broadband just fine for Netflix HD and Amazon Prime stuff.

Bit annoyed that ITV Player isn't compatible with it (find it in store, go to download and it just says not compatible with this device) - so might be other stuff out there.

Dirk Diggler 75 06 December 2015 01:43 PM

Cheers for the reply Fonzey .....

Dirk Diggler 75 06 December 2015 03:47 PM

Anyone else got one,would appreciate the feedback
cheers ......

Scooby.Newbie 06 December 2015 04:59 PM

Ordered one last Friday, not arrived yet so there must be a delay on them.

I have Amazon Prime and stream stuff to the laptop and Kindle that I have, has always been a god service on there, so for the money thought I would give the stick a go

Just checked and Amazon say that it is arriving tomorrow so will let you know once I have had a play with it.

Dirk Diggler 75 06 December 2015 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Scooby.Newbie (Post 11768858)
Ordered one last Friday, not arrived yet so there must be a delay on them.

I have Amazon Prime and stream stuff to the laptop and Kindle that I have, has always been a god service on there, so for the money thought I would give the stick a go

Just checked and Amazon say that it is arriving tomorrow so will let you know once I have had a play with it.

Cheers bud,any feedback appreciated ....

stevebt 06 December 2015 05:14 PM

I bought a wifi blueray payer as it does everything the amazon stick will do and more as it plays blueray and upscales to 4k video. I think I paid £99 for an LG one.

Dirk Diggler 75 06 December 2015 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by stevebt (Post 11768874)
I bought a wifi blueray payer as it does everything the amazon stick will do and more as it plays blueray and upscales to 4k video. I think I paid £99 for an LG one.

Already got a blueray player on the playstation but never use it .....

ossett2k2 06 December 2015 08:04 PM

We've got one,now all friends and family have them,excellent value for money,work really well.
They were on offer for 24.99 last week but have gone back up to 34.99
Which is cheap for what you can get on there,we are not allowed to discus in detail what they are capable of doing,let's just say there is some good software you can stick on the stick :D

RRP1STI 06 December 2015 08:36 PM

As above,I have one with some software installed,works well,you need to have a bit of a play to get used to it,I paid £50 with aforementioned software installed,well worth it,go for it!

**jay** 06 December 2015 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by RRP1STI (Post 11768980)
As above,I have one with some software installed,works well,you need to have a bit of a play to get used to it,I paid £50 with aforementioned software installed,well worth it,go for it!

Lol software is free to install

ossett2k2 06 December 2015 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by **jay** (Post 11768986)
Lol software is free to install

Free and easy :thumb:

Dirk Diggler 75 06 December 2015 09:09 PM

Cheers all,is it true you can install sky movies sports etc .....

Stiff 06 December 2015 11:45 PM

We've got four in the house: One in the kitchen and one in each of the three kids' rooms. The kitchen is furthest away from the wifi router at the other side of the house and it often stops to buffer, sometimes taking a fair while before re-streaming. The kids rooms are basically above the router and they never have an issue at all. Lots of stuff to choose from and any media that you've bought from Amazon comes up free (my other half may as well have shares in the place).
Not sure on the Sky Movies/Sports etc as there's so much stuff on there (I know BBC Sport is on there) but all in all it's a great piece of kit for the price!

Mus 07 December 2015 12:11 PM

I have had mine for a few months, live football does pause at times but great for hd films.

Dirk Diggler 75 07 December 2015 01:11 PM

Thanks for all the feedback .....

Scotsman 07 December 2015 01:59 PM

We've got both a Fire TV box and a Firestick - both are excellent pieces of kit - and for the price are great value. Never had any streaming issues. Highly recommended.

The Pink Ninja 07 December 2015 02:37 PM

Not allowed to mention a certain software programme that manipulates paid TV...I have one to watch the 3 O'clock Saturday Kick offs, which I should be allowed to say as they are not broadcast on UK tv

ossett2k2 07 December 2015 02:43 PM

Keep On Doing It
but don't mention the software :D

Scooby.Newbie 07 December 2015 08:06 PM

Mine turned up today, bought it last Friday whilst on offer to see what it would be like.

Came in a nice bit of packaging with nothing more than a quick start guide, which is all you need really.

In the box you get the stick, remote control (with batteries supplied) plug and USB power cable. There is also a HDMI female/female connector which would be handy if you had an issue getting the stick into your TV.

Was pre-configured to my Amazon account, so confirmed that I wanted to use that and as I already have Amazon Prime we were off.

Took it out of the box, plugged it in and turned the TV on. TV came on knowing that something was in the HDMI slot, so the initializing screen for the stick came straight up, said it would take 10 minutes but was about three, checked for firmware updates and then played a little introduction video.

Had the little one with me, so she tried the voice feature, thought that was great and was laughing as she spoke into it but it got what she wanted every time, pretty impressed with this bit.

Whilst she was watching Peppa Pig in HD I started streaming on the Kindle as well, no problems, everything was instant
Ran a internet speed check on here http://www.speedtest.net/ and got 8.5Mbps download speed to give you an idea of the speed I am getting as a comparison to yours.

Only had a quick play, but seeing as I have had Prime for over a year don't know why it took me so long to get one of these, think may get another.

Would recommend.

richie001 07 December 2015 09:06 PM

I take it,after you pay the £35 one off payment,you still got monthly/yearly subscription charges?

Dirk Diggler 75 07 December 2015 09:08 PM

Thanks for all the comments,think I will give it a try .......

ossett2k2 07 December 2015 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by richie001 (Post 11769419)
I take it,after you pay the £35 one off payment,you still got monthly/yearly subscription charges?

You are free to load your own software onto the stick so this means you don't have to pay anymore than the cost of the stick,ever.

Dirk Diggler 75 08 December 2015 05:28 PM

Got one today with the appropriate software and it works great,thanks again for all the feedback,scoobynet saves the day again .....

ossett2k2 08 December 2015 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler 75 (Post 11769685)
Got one today with the appropriate software and it works great,thanks again for all the feedback,scoobynet saves the day again .....

Nice one Mr Diggler :thumb:
Just remember,if you can't get a good pic in one place that there's LOADS of other places you will find it ;)

Dirk Diggler 75 08 December 2015 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by ossett2k2 (Post 11769697)
Nice one Mr Diggler :thumb:
Just remember,if you can't get a good pic in one place that there's LOADS of other places you will find it ;)

Cheers bud .......if my smilies worked I would give you the thumbs up ..

ossett2k2 08 December 2015 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler 75 (Post 11769713)
Cheers bud .......if my smilies worked I would give you the thumbs up ..

:lol:
You still not got them smiles sorted :(

Dirk Diggler 75 08 December 2015 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by ossett2k2 (Post 11769722)
:lol:
You still not got them smiles sorted :(

No mate, give up trying ......

Dirk Diggler 75 10 December 2015 06:16 PM

Just a heads up if anyones thinking of getting one it's well worth the money,just got another one for me lads room .......

daviee 10 December 2015 08:31 PM

They loaded my apple tv2 box with Kodi, a whole new world when loaded with Kodi
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Amazon-Fir...8AAOSwBahVBqUQ