ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Cat D 2005 WRX for a project or a money pit ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1032411-cat-d-2005-wrx-for-a-project-or-a-money-pit.html)

Ozgur 29 November 2015 02:20 PM

Cat D 2005 WRX for a project or a money pit ?

Hi Everyone,
First of hope i did not post this in the wrong part of the forum :confused:
I have been thinking of a Cat D for a long time project for a while now. Since i am new to forum just wanted a heads up before parting my cash.
I think the saying '' If it is too good to be true ..'' goes for this one.
Checking several sites daily i just wanted to see if you guys can advise.

It is the Grey 2005 WRX on autotrader from qualitysalvage.net . I can not quite make out the reg. on it but price of it is really tempting.
Any ideas or advise is highly apreciated.

Thank you

The Pink Ninja 29 November 2015 08:18 PM

Depends how much you spend in the car...as a cat D car will always be a cat D car even if it's mint and if you ever sell be prepared to take a hit

**jay** 29 November 2015 08:34 PM

Depend how much it costs in long run and if you want to keep it as above hard to sell it ln again. I had a cat d repaird one years ago and it was never right, lost a bit trying to get rid of it.

jonnyboy82 29 November 2015 08:48 PM

if your really considering buying a cat d, or salvage I would personally go and buy a car direct from a salvage auction as opposed to the middle man whos making his profit and potentially not telling it for what it is?

I buy and sell salvage. Its never put me off and ive never had a problem selling them on. Its only about making profit if you are trading. If its a personal car then you pay what you want to! Who cares about resale if the car you got you are happy with.

And ake sure you got the tools/knowledge or even the right bodyshop/garage to do your repairs!

BoozyDave 29 November 2015 10:17 PM

It depends why it has been car D?

Has it had brake fluid poured on it or vandalised?

or crashed?

Mustoe91 29 November 2015 10:27 PM

Don't have to buy a cat D could buy mine the engine basically gave up so all it will need is a new engine and turbo just a thought message me if you want any info

Ozgur 30 November 2015 12:08 AM

Hi Guys, Thanks for replying.
Car will be for personal use only, I do not intend to sell as long as it gives me a smile. One thing that will kill me though is the insurance. After 20+ years and 9 cars later on my current licence, i had to get the Full UK last year.
Car is a Cat D 2005 WRX with 85.000 on the clock. Wording in the ad suggests it is either a written off or stolen. I have not checked the history yet until i am sure to commit, but for £1675 + £2000 for engine swap or rebuild + £1000 for door,wing and other bits seems not far off ? (Unless a serious Jig job needed) Or am i missing something here. As said it will be a long term project and i can even keep it in my garage and do some work myself. Here is the car if i am allowed to up-link in forum.
Thank you all.

Weeked 30 November 2015 02:26 AM

Here you have the HPI check:

https://totalcarcheck.co.uk/Certific...05AOU-dzo0pHIn

A friend of mine wanted to buy it and he changed his mind after saw the car is registered twice with cat D.

Cheers

**jay** 30 November 2015 06:31 AM

1700 for a cat d and needs an engine, really? The money you spend on it will buy a decent one, car will only beworth about 2.5 when fixed.

ditchmyster 30 November 2015 07:39 AM

Cat D WRX with 85k on it needing an engine and other work is not a bargin @£1700, maybe if you wanted a cheap hack and it had a decent engine, then possibly, but you quoting £2k for engine leads me to believe you can't do the swap yourself and a grand for other work means you're at £5k by the time you're done and dusted.

You can pick up a nice straight one (non cat D) with less miles and a decent engine for that sort of money and probably get most of it back in a year or so.

But hey your money, your choice. :thumb:

lordharding 30 November 2015 07:58 AM

No stay clear
Plenty new bargain out there or for your skills as a mechanic best pick up a classic that needs a new engine or rust tackled for a few hundred as its 05 wrx at th end of the day

Neeko1988 30 November 2015 09:55 AM

I have just purchased a 54 plate blob WRX with 80k FSH no faults its a lovely car and paid £4.5k for it.

My opinion would be to save yourself alot of hassle and just go get yourself a nice straight car.

But its your money and if you fancy a project then go for it.

Chris

1509joe 30 November 2015 11:26 AM

All that is is a money pit boss leave it alone.

jonnyboy82 30 November 2015 02:39 PM

No offence but id steer well clear of that car! Look to be owned by a serious chav/boy racer in the past judging by the choice mods?

Norman Dog 30 November 2015 07:16 PM

PN05AOU, Cat. D on: 15 August 2005

PN05AOU, Cat. D on: 16 September 2013

So does that mean it's been fixed twice previously? :wonder:

:nono: Like you've been advised, stay well clear.

Just looking at it tells me that the previous owner was a tw@t. :D

**jay** 30 November 2015 07:49 PM

A double write off and needs an engine and you think its a bargain, not worth anything and wont make much breaking it, its worth nothing for another grand you could buy a decent one and you wont fix that for a grand. Id stay well away from it.

BoozyDave 30 November 2015 10:08 PM

It's worth about £500 max!

not worth the hassle or headache

Ozgur 01 December 2015 12:02 AM

Thank you all guys, this is the reason i am here and apreciate all the help.
As advised , a double write off for that sort of money just does not cut it for me. ''Weeked'' thanks for that HPI mate.''Ditchmyster'' you are right , engine will be up to API :notworthy For every one who shared their opinions, i must agree with you all and thank you. Also for the pm's for sale.
No Cat D then , This leaves me with 2 options,
1- Look for a low ml(50-90)/hpi/Fservice/ clean about 4-5 grand (2002-2007)
2- Get high mile (90-150)with service history ,trash it and swap/rebuild afterwards 2-4 grand (as long as it's straight) (99-2004)
3- Blob? Hawk? Saloon ,Hatchback or Estate ? :wonder:
But i must ask , for a WRX, especialy with a good service, as original as possible (i should be able to do the mods myself) what sort of milage is reasonable ? i mean life of it , unabused one. Are these bad boys good up to say 200.000? (a cheap 100-120.000 then a rebuild later comes in mind) Or say as a rule of thumb any hpi clear and good service ones what should be the market value ?
I know it all depends but what you guys think any list of some sort here (by year lets say) in forum ?
Thanks
Ozgur

ditchmyster 01 December 2015 04:44 PM

I bought mine with 92k on it, it's just about to hit 122k, one set of pads all round, oil, Polly bushes and springs, but they were by choice not necessity and a couple of sets of tyres.

I now have one leaky rear shock so I'm going to have to do something about that in the next couple of months.

All in all I think that's pretty good and quite cheap motoring considering the performance, car cost me £4k 4yrs ago and had PPP and a fresh set of brakes, front's being AP racing 4 pots, I thought the car was a bargain tbh, and the seller knew his Subarus which was very important to me, and something that's been bourn out by how reliable it's been.

domino46 01 December 2015 05:09 PM

Iv got one for sale
05 plate Wrx in blue
Sti interior
98k just serviced
Tein coilover
Mapped to 280bhp by Bob Rawle
Forge dump valve
RCM exhaust
RCM gear knob
18" prodrive alloys
Brembos front and rear
Pro flex drop links
Sti fog light cover
Rear tints
Prodrive uk300 spoiler
Will put a new mot on
Good clean car
4k Ono

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX 01 December 2015 07:29 PM

Hi,
If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to give us a try.
Regards,
Dan.