ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Glasses for driving. (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1032171-glasses-for-driving.html)

Littleted 22 November 2015 09:27 PM

Glasses for driving.

Ok I wear glasses for reading only, but as of late I'm finding reading the cars speedo and stereo a bit blurry. My distance is fine.

Do any of you have reading glasses only have a special pair for driving that enables you to see your cockpit better?

I presume there verifocal but which type or are there special driving ones.?

Ta

daviee 22 November 2015 10:26 PM

A pair of varifocals will fit your needs distance at top of the lense and reading at the bottom I have them but really struggle, I was driving for 30 years without,they are great on motorway but hate wearing them town driving.

jazzyjembreaze 23 November 2015 12:47 AM

I'm exactly the same m8
Just picked up my new glasses Saturday / eye test the week before . My eyes have depreciated 3 grades or 30% in 2 years as to my last pair ... I'm fine at distance it's just reading , but your right about dash board .. I blame iPhone , iPad & computer pixelation for my eyes .. The brightness should be turned way down if your starting to feel your eyes getting worse , but the kind lady said at nearly 47
" it's just your age sir "

Littleted 23 November 2015 08:40 AM

yeah thats me, i found the stereo LCD is even blurry a little now, Iphone 6 on dash with sat nav i can see but text is harder

I do have 1 pair of verifocal but there workstation ones, so not suited, i suppose i should go get some custom Specsaver ones with the wide bit at the top and reading at the bottom then.

I do have verifocal contacts, which i can drive in cockpit looks HD when i wear em but distance is less then without but still ok to drive... But i hate contacts...

andy97 23 November 2015 09:35 AM

When your renewal for license comes round you will need to declare you wear glasses for driving, if you get caught without them after the declaration, criminal offence for failing standards of vision for driving!

hodgy0_2 23 November 2015 10:37 AM

balance a pair of reading glasses on your nose

or just put up with a slightly blurry dashboard

alcazar 23 November 2015 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by andy97 (Post 11764146)
When your renewal for license comes round you will need to declare you wear glasses for driving, if you get caught without them after the declaration, criminal offence for failing standards of vision for driving!

So don't declare it.

jazzyjembreaze 23 November 2015 11:47 AM

Absolutely ^
If you can read a number plate at 40 feet
Without your glasses , your good to go

Littleted 23 November 2015 12:02 PM

I'm fine its just annoying... i,ll ask when I'm next up for a test...

neil-h 23 November 2015 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by andy97 (Post 11764146)

Ummmmm, no you don't.

Originally Posted by Gov.UK
You must tell DVLA if you’ve got any problem with your eyesight that affects both of your eyes, or the remaining eye if you only have one eye.

This doesn’t include being short or long sighted or colour blind. You also don’t need to say if you’ve had surgery to correct short sightedness and can meet the eyesight standards.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-eyesight-rules

hodgy0_2 23 November 2015 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Littleted (Post 11764176)
I'm fine its just annoying... i,ll ask when I'm next up for a test...

tell me about it - whenever I look at my dash with my reading glasses on I think

"wow what a lovely clear and well designed display"

andy97 23 November 2015 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11764166)
So don't declare it.

So something fundamental as being able to see what you're doing and what is around you whilst driving. You advocate doing it dangerously?

Make no wonder there are so many collisions and so called accidental deaths if you're representative of the majority :eek
https://www.gov.uk/driving-eyesight-rules

20 metres minimum registration plate also must pass visual acuity test. Why risk yourself or anybody else's life for a bit of vanity!

alcazar 23 November 2015 02:32 PM

You've not read the above posts, have you?

You'd be a fool to declare that you HAD to wear glasses for driving, since you don't have to so declare, by law.

Do so, and then lose them? Or break them while out? You're fukced.

neil-h 23 November 2015 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11764227)

You'd be a fool to declare that you HAD to wear glasses for driving, since you don't have to so declare, by law.

It's the same link :lol1:

speedking 23 November 2015 03:47 PM

Licence code

Somewhere along the line they've sneaked a code 01 against all my vehicle classes which means "01 - eyesight correction". AFAIK I only require 'standard' glasses. Does that mean that I can be nicked if spotted driving without glasses?

As my first test was passed in 1979 I know that code wasn't appended then. Worth people checking their licence.

Puff The Magic Wagon! 23 November 2015 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11764161)
balance a pair of reading glasses on your nose

or just put up with a slightly blurry dashboard

Its what I do. I can work out where the speedo is/spped doing, so that's ok :)

andy97 23 November 2015 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11764227)

Where is the problem. I still can read a registration plate at 20 metres but my distance sight was becoming blurred and I didn't feel I had the necessary sight standard without glasses. So I declared it when my license renewed.

Your last comment highlights your attitude, that it would be highly inconvenient. You'd rather not be delayed and risk driving with impaired vision with all the potential disastrous consequences. Carry an extra pair as a back up.

alcazar 23 November 2015 05:01 PM

My attitude is sensible.
I am NOT going to give PC Plod another reason to stop and fine me, he has plenty already.

I can see perfectly well for distance, but the instruments can be blurred, however, I know where 30, 40, 60 and 70 are on the speedo, so why bother?

I think you are splitting hairs here, or somehow think you are "holier than thou"?

IF I had a genuine reason, or impairment, I would declare it...but I don't and the law DOES NOT require me to declare what I have.

You do as you wish...but try and stop judging others, while doing so.