ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   TV signal lost. Is it because of weather? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1031483-tv-signal-lost-is-it-because-of-weather.html)

skoobidude 02 November 2015 09:45 PM

TV signal lost. Is it because of weather?

As above, I lost my TV signal earlier this evening. Only a couple of commercial channels pick up a picture but they often scramble and make any programme unwatchable.
Even Catch-up which works via my internet is stop-starting.

Anyone else having problems? This digital service is all or nothing, bring back analogue.

Time to read a book!

Nick

markjmd 02 November 2015 10:04 PM

TV signal lost. Is it because of weather?

Yes. Everyone's TV is out right now, because the signal from the giant two-mile high transmitter located at the exact geographic midpoint of the British Isles that delivers programs to the entire country can't break through the fog.

Oh, hang on :wonder:

andy97 03 November 2015 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by skoobidude (Post 11756499)
As above, I lost my TV signal earlier this evening. Only a couple of commercial channels pick up a picture but they often scramble and make any programme unwatchable.

Anyone else having problems? This digital service is all or nothing, bring back analogue.

Time to read a book!

Nick

High pressure or odd atmospheric conditions affect radio waves. If you have a marginal signal strength, weather can disrupt to the point that some channels or all reception is affected

johned 03 November 2015 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by skoobidude (Post 11756499)

Time to read a book!

Nick

Which part of Britain are you in.

ALi-B 03 November 2015 06:10 PM

The fog (low cloud) could condensate on exterior cabling, and if the insulation is damaged it can wick into the cable, corrode it and short out the inner signal wire with the outer shielding.

This has happened to my old VHF radio aerial on the roof....I can literally pour water out of the cable..completely soaked the distribution/amplifier unit in the attic..which in turn killed my terrestrial TV signals (the same amplifier does TV signals as well) had to disconnect it and kink the cable like a hosepipe to stop the water coming out LOL.

hodgy0_2 03 November 2015 06:30 PM

anecdotally (with all the caveats applied) I do seem to get poorer mobile phone reception in periods of low clouds

andy97 03 November 2015 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11756772)
anecdotally (with all the caveats applied) I do seem to get poorer mobile phone reception in periods of low clouds

It's possible that you were trying to access the cloud :D

Gets coat

Rapid17 04 November 2015 06:46 AM

I lost the signal on Freeview HD soon after the rugby world cup final started but luckily I also have Freesat HD and that was working. After half time I went back to Freeview HD and it was back to normal so it's a mystery to me as to why it played up.

skoobidude 04 November 2015 10:56 PM

All working ok now. Must have been the fog/atmospheric conditions etc. Had this TV for just over a year with a new aerial cabled direct from the TV outlet to the roof so it should be fine unless there is a problem on the actual aerial connection.

Nick