ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Projects (https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-40/)
-   -   blob sti 500bhp build (pain in the a***) (https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-40/1030939-blob-sti-500bhp-build-pain-in-the-a.html)

carlmcg 19 October 2015 08:55 PM

blob sti 500bhp build (pain in the a***)

1 Attachment(s)
sti 500bhp build (pain in the ass)

thought its time i posted something up about my car been on the forum for a while. its not my first subau had a v2 sti then v3 sti type r and now the blob sti. i bought the car last December form a friend he was told it was a 500bhp sti. the car was 430 bhp when it was on the rollers, i still was happy with the way the car pulled. a few months later i had an engine management light popping up and flashing around 5500rpm so thought i should take it for a map. Duncan at racedynamix mapped my previous car so he was the on top of the list for a map as he was very helpful with my type r so booked it in with him at rcm. he wasn't happy with the car he had detonation after 1.6 bar of boost. still gained 20hp with dropping the boost from 2bar and o 1.6 top man. But driving the car for a few months with the wrong map the damage was done. the engine was using oil and water....

after a bit of ��i took the car to a friends house and took the engine out. stripped the engine down the damage was obvious with marks on the pistons so decided to rebuild the engine. i got on the phone with simon at chevron motorsport as he originally built the car. he was extremely busy he had a 4 month waiting list on an engine so decided to build the engine my self. simon offered to get all the machining done and get all the parts i needed. we discussed what route i was going to take with the new engine decided to go for higher compression. after taking my engine down, Simons guys heated the blocks and measured my blocks ect. the blocks was worn so i couldent use the piston i wanted, we decided to go for some low millage cdb with 14mm conversion. one head was cracked so i had to get a replacement and the heads had some work done to them while they had them. sent the clutch to be re plated by questmead. and sent the turbo to be checked by owen development. got every thing back me and my friend built the engine. took the car for a base map. after 700 miles took it to chevron to be mapped by bob rawle and he wasn't happy with the engine, cylinder 1 and 4 was knocking. my hart fell to my a** i was devastated. took the car home and left it for a bit.

I decided to take the engine out again but this time I decided i wasn't going to build the engine myself again. so i took it to andy at wms-racing. he noticed a fault with the con rods so it wasn't my fault after all ��. 2 weeks later i had the engine back off andy very helpul guy and top work. i still had the base map in the car so i ran it in on that. booked another day with bob at chevron and now finally after 7 months i got her back too full potential and it was over 430whp on a road graph don't remember the spot on numbers was i will post the graph when I receive it from bob.

some of the car spec of the top of my head.

fully cdb decked and bored
2.5 nitrided crank
chevrons head work
acl race bearings
William's rods with arp bolts
mahle high comp stroker pistons
rcm sump plate
cosworth oil pump
cosworth headgasket
rcm 14-12 headstuds
cosworth timing belt
genuine subaru water pump
rcm thermostat
chevron alloy rad with oil cooler
mocal sandwich plate
chevron full race top mount intercooler
rcm headers
owen development gt30r motorsport core
ap racing clutch
rcm fuel pump
800cc injectors at 3 bar
alcatek ecu
rcm inductin kit relocated to inner wing
miltek sport 3inch inner turbo back exhaust

whiteline anti rollbar
whiteline anti lift kit
whiteline camber bolts
whiteline bushes
cusco braces underneth car and struts
bc coilovers
spec c bottom arms

thinking of changing the coilovers any advice would be great. thanks

carlmcg 19 October 2015 09:15 PM

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...8eb4a3e2a.jpeg

bigredrob 19 October 2015 09:26 PM

Great looking car,..well done for hanging on ...and getting it finished,... often up your way,.... early mornings.....for a spin,... lol.

carlmcg 19 October 2015 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by bigredrob (Post 11751122)
Great looking car,..well done for hanging on ...and getting it finished,... often up your way,.... early mornings.....for a spin,... lol.

thanks mate. i was close to parting the car out but i was still in the (honeymoon period) lol. where do you go for a drive? snowdon pass?

bigredrob 19 October 2015 10:05 PM

... usually do Blaenau, Betws, A5,.. pen y gwryd,..
back round coast, then home to Aberystwyth for elevenses, ...

carlmcg 11 November 2015 10:24 PM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...6818a383b.jpeg

MrBlobby 23 November 2015 05:35 PM

nice spec motor you've go there and glad it worked out for you in the end. I'm just in the process of going front mount after fitting an md321t.

Only thing i'm still undecided on is how to go about mounting my RCM induction kit. How do you find running the kit in the wing? I take it you've got a cold air pipe running up looking at your fog cover? I've heard the filter can get quite messy there but looking for a decent balance between practicality and performance. Also you still running the maf?

carlmcg 23 November 2015 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by MrBlobby (Post 11764288)
nice spec motor you've go there and glad it worked out for you in the end. I'm just in the process of going front mount after fitting an md321t.

Only thing i'm still undecided on is how to go about mounting my RCM induction kit. How do you find running the kit in the wing? I take it you've got a cold air pipe running up looking at your fog cover? I've heard the filter can get quite messy there but looking for a decent balance between practicality and performance. Also you still running the maf?

hi its a bit easier for me to run the kit in the wing because of the top mount. it dose tend to get dirty there but if you run a rcm kit the filter is spot on after a year of driving i took it off and it was dirty but in side was like new so no dirt got through. some people don't like to have it in the wing because it involves having 2 90 degrees bends instead of just 1 because of the air flow. no maf on my car ether. regards

Kedlestone 23 November 2015 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by MrBlobby (Post 11764288)

I had an APS inner wing system previously on my old blobeye, never put a feed in for it and worked fine, didn't get messy either. I was running maffless also.

ross2786 23 November 2015 08:17 PM

I'm in the process of building the same project, been at it 2 n half years! I also have the aps wing kit and never had a problem before hand so will be using it again!

Its turned into a really good hobby, enjoy the build!

carlmcg 23 November 2015 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by ross2786 (Post 11764334)
I'm in the process of building the same project, been at it 2 n half years! I also have the aps wing kit and never had a problem before hand so will be using it again!

Its turned into a really good hobby, enjoy the build!

what suspension you running ross? thinking of changing the bc on mine

ross2786 23 November 2015 08:33 PM

ive got the tein superstreets on mine.

carlmcg 23 November 2015 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by ross2786 (Post 11764346)
ive got the tein superstreets on mine.

how do you find them? i was thinking of going bilstein b16 or ast

ross2786 23 November 2015 08:57 PM

tbh I really cant remember its been 2 and a half years since I last drove the car. from what I can remember they were a bit on the stiffer side but I never really experimented with the settings. The super streets are discontinued now tho. If I thought it was stiff before I'm not going to like it now as ive replaced every bush n the car with uprated ones steering, gearbox/diff, handling and engine!

I'm fancying ohlins next but they might have to wait a long time

carlmcg 23 November 2015 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by ross2786 (Post 11764360)
tbh I really cant remember its been 2 and a half years since I last drove the car. from what I can remember they were a bit on the stiffer side but I never really experimented with the settings. The super streets are discontinued now tho. If I thought it was stiff before I'm not going to like it now as ive replaced every bush n the car with uprated ones steering, gearbox/diff, handling and engine!

I'm fancying ohlins next but they might have to wait a long time

ohlins are good ive heard. chevron recommends going for the bilstein b16. I don't want the car to be to hard thats the problem iv got now. where I live its got a few bumps and jumps.

ross2786 23 November 2015 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by carlmcg (Post 11764371)
ohlins are good ive heard. chevron recommends going for the bilstein b16. I don't want the car to be to hard thats the problem iv got now. where I live its got a few bumps and jumps.

I'll see how it goes and maybe change the springs for softer ones! I will keep watching this thread and see how things progress

carlmcg 12 February 2017 11:10 AM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...e0f91dd6ce.jpg

carlmcg 12 February 2017 11:39 AM

A bit of an update on the car. i've fitted new brakes godspeed g grove disks and carbone lorraine rc8 pad (very noisy) but my god they work.

Took the car of the road for a month to wax oil and under seal the car. (the winter service) changed oils ,filters and spark plugs.

fitted 4 new michelin pilot sport 4. these tyres are a lot better than the continental contisport 5 i had on it before.

i had a bit of knocking coming from the suspension. So i decided to take the the bc coilovers off to see what was the knocking. Found the nut at the bottom of the shock was lose. striped them down put new pillow bearing at the top nipped every thing up and they are like new now 😁😁😁

matt-c 12 February 2017 12:05 PM

Like the tilt/shift shots.

carlmcg 12 February 2017 08:15 PM

i forgot i to mention i had the turbo re built 3 months back. the wastegate came loose and cracked on the turbo the hot side was binned and i now have a 9cm2 hot side and the latest owen development hta wheel. i think the reason for the to crack was i had a crack on the rcm up pipe and the turbo was getting pushed to make 2 bar boost. all sorted now and going well again. these tubular manifold don't last long in my experience.

Rbon91 12 February 2017 08:21 PM

Andy built my 2.35 couldnt reccomend him more.. top bloke! im off for mapping on the 20th. aiming for 550/550 at the fly so simialr whp.

ryan

carlmcg 12 February 2017 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Rbon91 (Post 11918921)
Andy built my 2.35 couldnt reccomend him more.. top bloke! im off for mapping on the 20th. aiming for 550/550 at the fly so simialr whp.

ryan

Andy it a top man he has all the time in the world to help someone out. he's done a few engines for a few people my way. whos mapping your car Ryan? andy uses steve i think?

carlmcg 12 February 2017 08:29 PM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...b1b8a9d507.jpg

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...179b72c79d.jpg

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...6e7760de27.jpg

[IMG]https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.scoobynet.com-vbulletin/720x1280/80-img_0368_632f8795a589d604999d4fb9a95fdb6d83347637. jpg[/IMG

some pics of whats been going on

carlmcg 12 February 2017 08:31 PM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...0f2ae28340.jpg

carlmcg 19 September 2018 10:29 AM

ross2786 19 September 2018 01:04 PM

Without stating the obvious is that the chevron ic or just a painted on logo? What power are you able to achieve on it?

carlmcg 19 September 2018 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by ross2786 (Post 12027448)
Without stating the obvious is that the chevron ic or just a painted on logo? What power are you able to achieve on it?

yes its the full race top mount. i only loaded the pics up on here because i dont know how to send pics through pm for a interested buyer. i ran 520 hp on it what ive seen there are a few runing over 600 on them. the amount of losses in this cooler is considerably less than a fmic. when i had this and the gt30 how the boost came on it was awesome. i then fitted a gt35 and a perrin fmic it wasent the same to drive after. the first setup was best on the road.

matt-c 19 September 2018 06:49 PM

Prob more to do with the turbo change though

carlmcg 19 September 2018 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by matt-c (Post 12027472)
Prob more to do with the turbo change though

had the perrin on the gt30 without a map for it while i was wating for the 35 definitely more lag but maybe a map would sort a bit out. gt30 with the topmount hit full boost 2.1 bar at 3.3k ish the gt35 set up was 4.2k if i remember correctly.