ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   which 4x4 to choose (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/1030162-which-4x4-to-choose.html)

the shreksta 29 September 2015 04:48 PM

which 4x4 to choose

i keep finding myself looking at 4x4's so im gonna treat myself to one but the question is.........which one?

i really like the range rover vogue around a 54 plate BUT ive read absolute horror stories regarding reliability etc which i was surprised to hear considering its a prestige marque, it was the petrol v8 i was looking at as i only do short trips so a diesel would be no good for me as it would just clog up and prove un-reliable

are they really that bad? airbag suspension giving up/v8 blocks cracking around the liners/auto-boxes giving up/ electrical problems including battery going flat after 2 days etc

all these things really put me off to be honest but it is the car thats at the top of my list.

next one would have to be the jeep commander 5.7L v8 around a 2006 plate but i would consider a cherokee 4.7L v8

also considered a bmw x5 v8 and a mitsubishi shogun sport

i wont do any off-roading and i only do around 5k a year so mpg doesnt interest me,i dont have kids or dogs so rear room isnt an issue although being a shade over 6 foot 8 means im needing quite alot of cabin room

i can budget anywhere between £5k-£9k

can anybody give their experiences with any of the above? is there a decent 4x4 forum i could use?

cheers guys

hodgy0_2 29 September 2015 07:10 PM

The cracked block/liner issue was only really on the original Rover V8 (and only ones bored out from the original 3.5ltr)

I believe they were last used in 2001 - in the face lifted P38

the shreksta 29 September 2015 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11743199)
The cracked block/liner issue was only really on the original Rover V8 (and only ones bored out from the original 3.5ltr)

I believe they were last used in 2001 - in the face lifted P38

think i read of head gasket issues aswell

gazzawrx 29 September 2015 08:34 PM

My mate had a range rover sport on a 2008 that was nothing but trouble, suspension and rear diff trouble, but my gaffers got a vogue on about a 2006 and its been a good motor, that said my mates not really mechanically minded and just gets in and drives it whereas my gaffers runs a garage so does look after his and hes not had much trouble with it.

I suppose it all boils down to how you treat and look after them. If you do get one change the rear diff oil as i believe the issue is land rover decided to paint the inside of the diffs before assembly and over time the paint flakes off and deteriorates the oil which eventually leads to diff failure.

gazzawrx 29 September 2015 08:41 PM

The d40 navaras are descent but theyre diesels, the only major issues they suffer with are timing chains, however if you get one thats had the duplex chain fitted theyre pretty much trouble free, avoid the ones from 2005-2006 as the chassis on the rear passenger rail split, it wasnt as much an issue on the later ones as i believe they fitted reinforcer plates.

the shreksta 29 September 2015 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by gazzawrx (Post 11743245)
The d40 navaras are descent but theyre diesels, the only major issues they suffer with are timing chains, however if you get one thats had the duplex chain fitted theyre pretty much trouble free, avoid the ones from 2005-2006 as the chassis on the rear passenger rail split, it wasnt as much an issue on the later ones as i believe they fitted reinforcer plates.

Navaras are to small inside.........in called shrek for a reason lol :D

gazzawrx 29 September 2015 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by the shreksta (Post 11743252)
Navaras are to small inside.........in called shrek for a reason lol :D

I know your a big lad i saw your bodybuilding expo thread:lol1:

Have you sat in a d40, i found them to be about as big inside as a range?

lozgti1 29 September 2015 09:14 PM

Land Cruiser Amazon:thumb:

Would not touch any single car in the Land Rover/Range Rover line up despite gagging for a Range Rover as a dream car for me.Just my personal view and stories I have heard from friends who have them

the shreksta 29 September 2015 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by gazzawrx (Post 11743271)
I know your a big lad i saw your bodybuilding expo thread:lol1:

Have you sat in a d40, i found them to be about as big inside as a range?

To be honest no I haven't I'm just basing my guess on it being the same as a hi-lux/ranger which are pretty small inside.

as it's a pick-up truck I'm guessing they are all similar inside size wise

gazzawrx 29 September 2015 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by the shreksta (Post 11743279)
To be honest no I haven't I'm just basing my guess on it being the same as a hi-lux/ranger which are pretty small inside.

as it's a pick-up truck I'm guessing they are all similar inside size wise

Try one out, i think you'll be surprised:thumb:

the shreksta 29 September 2015 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by gazzawrx (Post 11743282)
Try one out, i think you'll be surprised:thumb:

I have some time off work soon so I will try and get a few test drives sorted.

Any other recommendations on a 4x4?

I like the commander v8

imprezagaz 29 September 2015 10:00 PM

Ford F-150 supercharged:D

XPCobra 29 September 2015 10:58 PM

BMW X5 unless going off-road, Range rover if going off-road.

No 4x4's are reliable IMO

hodgy0_2 30 September 2015 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by the shreksta (Post 11743201)
think i read of head gasket issues aswell

yes, but I think it was related in some way to the "liner" issue

hodgy0_2 30 September 2015 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by lozgti1 (Post 11743273)
Land Cruiser Amazon:thumb:

Would not touch any single car in the Land Rover/Range Rover line up despite gagging for a Range Rover as a dream car for me.Just my personal view and stories I have heard from friends who have them

I don't think the Amazon would suit such low mileage tbh and I suspect its road manners are not in the same league as the competition (off road and on the rough different story)

*matthewturb2000* 30 September 2015 09:22 AM

Hi mate I've just bought myself a 2004 facelift Mercedes ml350 petrol/lpg, I was looking at td5s and x5s and jeep cherokees, the merc is more like a car that a jeep driving wise, acceleration is like a car too, I won't be doing any offroading, plus it has 7seats and fully loaded
Just to add I've owed a td5 s2 and had no end of problems, my friend has a l322 that's sat on his drive with a electrical alarm fault that nobody can diagnose

An0n0m0us 30 September 2015 10:24 AM

Nissan Pathfinder, both diesel and petrol variants. I have the diesel and have done lots of short journeys and it's been a fantastic 4x4 for me. I'm a short ar$e compared to you at 6'3 but I find it very spacious inside, i'd highly recommend you look at one just for comparison if nothing else.

Alan Jeffery 30 September 2015 10:31 AM

We have two X5's in the family. They are 4x4 but not off road! On road they have amazing handling, much better than any other apart from Porsche. Ours are 3.0 diesels, remapped they go better than you'd think, 26mpg from mine no matter what you do with it.
The wife's has 130,000 miles completely reliable. Mine has had rear suspension issues, fixed with sensors, and the heater fan plays up. I chew through tyres and she doesn't. I wonder why?
A 2006 3.0 SD twin turbo has 350 bhp and 500 lbs ft when mapped stage one!
Personally I wouldn't bother with a petrol V8.

the shreksta 30 September 2015 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by *matthewturb2000* (Post 11743405)
Hi mate I've just bought myself a 2004 facelift Mercedes ml350 petrol/lpg, I was looking at td5s and x5s and jeep cherokees, the merc is more like a car that a jeep driving wise, acceleration is like a car too, I won't be doing any offroading, plus it has 7seats and fully loaded
Just to add I've owed a td5 s2 and had no end of problems, my friend has a l322 that's sat on his drive with a electrical alarm fault that nobody can diagnose

thanks for your input, its such a shame about the range rovers as they look great in my opinion

the shreksta 30 September 2015 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by An0n0m0us (Post 11743426)
Nissan Pathfinder, both diesel and petrol variants. I have the diesel and have done lots of short journeys and it's been a fantastic 4x4 for me. I'm a short ar$e compared to you at 6'3 but I find it very spacious inside, i'd highly recommend you look at one just for comparison if nothing else.

will check them out thanks

one more thing is that i dont want something really really slow hence the v8 petrol 4x4's on top of my list

the shreksta 30 September 2015 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery (Post 11743429)
We have two X5's in the family. They are 4x4 but not off road! On road they have amazing handling, much better than any other apart from Porsche. Ours are 3.0 diesels, remapped they go better than you'd think, 26mpg from mine no matter what you do with it.
The wife's has 130,000 miles completely reliable. Mine has had rear suspension issues, fixed with sensors, and the heater fan plays up. I chew through tyres and she doesn't. I wonder why?
A 2006 3.0 SD twin turbo has 350 bhp and 500 lbs ft when mapped stage one!
Personally I wouldn't bother with a petrol V8.

thanks alan

i do like the x5's, do they have the airbag set-up like the range rovers? any issues with autoboxes?

cheers

gazzawrx 30 September 2015 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by the shreksta (Post 11743285)
I have some time off work soon so I will try and get a few test drives sorted.

Any other recommendations on a 4x4?

I like the commander v8

Shoguns are pretty good, the diesels can be made pretty quick for not much money.

the shreksta 30 September 2015 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by gazzawrx (Post 11743644)
Shoguns are pretty good, the diesels can be made pretty quick for not much money.

i do like the shogun sports

gazzawrx 30 September 2015 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by the shreksta (Post 11743646)
i do like the shogun sports

I think you need to trawl a few 4x4 sales pitches and drive a few, itll help make your mind up:lol1:

MASS1 30 September 2015 08:48 PM

Ok, I'll throw in the wild card - Volvo XC90! However, if you go for the diesel automatic, you'll be best with a remap to eliminate the lag when pulling away from standstill.

Guinness 30 September 2015 11:40 PM

I've just gone into the 4x4 thing..

Got a 62 plate X5 M50d..

Handles a dream considering the size and goes like stink...

Must say I'm very happy with it..

Alan..

WRXrowdy 01 October 2015 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by MASS1 (Post 11743735)
Ok, I'll throw in the wild card - Volvo XC90! However, if you go for the diesel automatic, you'll be best with a remap to eliminate the lag when pulling away from standstill.

They do a 4.4 V8. It's the engine Noble use in their 200mph+ weapon (albeit with a couple of turbos added)

http://www.carpages.co.uk/used-cars/...79466_16329873