ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   #1 (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1030130-1.html)

RS_Matt 28 September 2015 09:01 PM

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...be47e5a693.jpg

...still first in space.

Tidgy 28 September 2015 09:07 PM

eh? what ya been smoking?

Cpt Jack Sparrow 28 September 2015 09:13 PM

WTF ?? :Suspiciou

silver-sub 28 September 2015 09:15 PM

Huh?

wrx300scooby 28 September 2015 09:28 PM

:wonder::wonder:

ossett2k2 28 September 2015 09:32 PM

First to the space cake more like :freak3:

Dirk Diggler 75 28 September 2015 09:33 PM

Looks like a young Dave Gilmore .....

Tidgy 28 September 2015 09:34 PM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...a94fafbdcc.jpg

hahaha

wrx300scooby 28 September 2015 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler 75 (Post 11742797)
Looks like a young Dave Gilmore .....

Well spotted DD

Dirk Diggler 75 28 September 2015 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by wrx300scooby (Post 11742810)
Well spotted DD

........:thumb:

RS_Matt 28 September 2015 10:16 PM

Big Dave #1 in the album charts, call yourself music lovers!!!!

Stand out track for me 'In any tongue.' It has a slight Comfortably Numb feel to it in structure and emotion.

RS_Matt 28 September 2015 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 11742798)

http://www.thestrut.com/wp-content/u...da-630x445.jpg

ALi-B 28 September 2015 11:37 PM

I must be the only one who thinks "rattle that lock" is shyte that appears to be manufactured purely to suck in the Radio 2 listeners.

That said, I've only listened to a few tracks, and that was enough. Floyd all the way.

Edit: Maybe shyte was a bit strong...I'll retract that and grade it as a "meh! he's done better". In this world of Meghan Trainors and Sam Smiths (Bond song = Earth Song...would have thought he'd had learnt his lesson after plagiarising Tom Petty), we still need to fairly differentiate from the outright drossy garbage to the acceptable/tolerable.

RS_Matt 29 September 2015 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11742856)
I must be the only one who thinks "rattle that lock" is shyte that appears to be manufactured purely to suck in the Radio 2 listeners.

That said, I've only listened to a few tracks, and that was enough. Floyd all the way.

Edit: Maybe shyte was a bit strong...I'll retract that and grade it as a "meh! he's done better". In this world of Meghan Trainors and Sam Smiths (Bond song = Earth Song...would have thought he'd had learnt his lesson after plagiarising Tom Petty), we still need to fairly differentiate from the outright drossy garbage to the acceptable/tolerable.

TBH I think it's a bit self indulgent, the band have never admitted to listening to prog rock in their spare time, Rick Wright always admitted to being into Jazz, Gilmour has always been a bit of an Aretha Franklin kinda guy and Waters full on Opera enthusiast. Gilmour's latest album does come across more Blues/Jazz than prog.

It still beats all this busker-pastiche sh!te that's in the charts though imo.

yabbadoo4 29 September 2015 05:29 PM

gilmour whilst one of my favourite guitarists was never a songwriter. that was sids then rogers domain. as they so often said they were the sum of thier parts. roger once said he could never aspire to sid,s crazed insights and perceptions, and conversely gilmour never had the demons of losing his father at a young age and the obvious scars it left on roger into adulthood thus fueling his lyrics. when roger left and tried to derail gilmour and co when on tour, it at first annoyed me but then i came to see it as roger trying to protect what he helped build. after all gilmour just cobbled together a load of musicians and tried to make an album that sounded like floyd. he admitted this himself in an interview. he had to rope in his partner polly samson to write lyrics on his last album. i still love his guitar playing and his voice so will probably still buy this album although im with ali on rattle that lock, im not fond of it but maybe there is some good ones in there.

RS_Matt 29 September 2015 07:27 PM

Gilmour= Voice and guitar
Rick Wright = The sound
Roger Waters = The structure
Nick Mason = Pacing

I think Gilmour is a better writer than Rog he's just a bit to modest and gets embarrassed singing what he wrote. Gilmour's "The Narrow Way Part 3" for me is the best song on Ummagumma and maybe my fave Floyd song.

Peedee 29 September 2015 09:49 PM

I have literally no clue WTF anyone is talking about.

wayne9t9 29 September 2015 09:51 PM

He`s on with Jools later, well in ten minutes actually.

dpb 29 September 2015 09:57 PM

Damn , I was going to watch , ill go bed instead :D

wayne9t9 29 September 2015 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by RS_Matt (Post 11743208)
Gilmour= Voice and guitar
Rick Wright = The sound
Roger Waters = The structure
Nick Mason = Pacing

I think Gilmour is a better writer than Rog he's just a bit to modest and gets embarrassed singing what he wrote. Gilmour's "The Narrow Way Part 3" for me is the best song on Ummagumma and maybe my fave Floyd song.

Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict. Maybe not the best track but has to be the best title.

RS_Matt 30 September 2015 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by wayne9t9 (Post 11743304)
Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict. Maybe not the best track but has to be the best title.

Roger Waters.

Thank fcuk he left. I'm a pastoral Floyd man and he was just too full of hate.

Funkii Munkii 02 October 2015 01:09 PM

I've read it is his best solo effort in years and intend buying it anyway.

Then again I loved the Endless River and still do :)

RS_Matt 02 October 2015 03:16 PM

It's ok, 2nd half of the album is quite weak but there are a lot of classic Gilmour moments here and there. 'In any tongue' is a very emotional song that echoes 'Comfortably Numb' and 'High Hopes' in structure and feel.

Youtube (Sony) keep removing the song but here's an interview with God about it

He's old, but still has those aqua eyes. He's better at expressing himself on the guitar still!