ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Security cameras (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/1030114-security-cameras.html)

BLU 28 September 2015 04:21 PM

Security cameras

I've been thinking of getting a security camera for home to keep an eye on the cars outside and the house. After having a quick gander its quite complex to someone who hasn't a clue whats what. Anyone have any experiences/recommendations for a set up that won't break the bank? It would be nice if it had the ability to show live images via my mobile. :)

My PC is a 2011 iMac and my mobile is an iPhone 5 if those details are needed/relevant.

Cheers guys :thumb:

tarmac terror 28 September 2015 09:34 PM

Nowhere near enough detail in your post to be able to offer any useful advice;

IP / Analogue?
Number of cameras?
Colour / mono?
Day / night options - IR or white lit?
Lighting?
Range?
what kit do you already have / need - PoE Switches, storage, NAS, NVR etc
Oh and most importantly what you want / can afford to pay

ALi-B 29 September 2015 08:22 AM

Seeing I'm in the same boat after the break-ins, I too have found it an utter nightmare trying to sift through the massive amount of makes and options available to ensure I get something that is a)good and b)reliable.

Now the only advice I can give you so far is what I have learnt, but it should help.

First budget; this is what dictates your technology.

IP-CCTV is top end (most expensive), It offers HD and better resolution, uses ethernet cable to supply power and signal to each camera (there are wireless options). Picture quality from a 3MP camera is short of stunning.

Then we have hybrid systems, which uses coaxial cable to send digital images in HD: CVI, SDI or TVI. SDI is considered outdated, TVI is current, and CVI is a format used by only one manufacturer.

Then we have AHD which is another hybrid system, it send HD signal over a analgue coax. Its cheaper, but quality is lower.

Then we have 960H which an analogue system and a step up from standard definition,(SD), but lower quality than the above, but cheaper and compatible with analogue equipment.

And below that you have the analogue system with a digital recorder without a HD option. This is typically your Swann branded stuff.

In all these you can have a choice of definition. HD which is generally 720lines or higher, the IP systems rate in megapixels, just to confuse things further, but in short 2 megapixels is roughly 1080P.

Standard definition starts at 480 TV lines (TVL) and upto 700TVL....the latter is better, but bear in mind with cameras, higher definition doesn't always mean better quality...cheap cameras can produce more noise, especially in low light.

The difference in prices between the higher end kits low end kits is about a £1K; Few hundred quid for a 4ch analogue SD system, vs a £1K+ for a HD IP-CCTV system.

NVRs is another headache, obviously lots offer apps that work with smartphones, this is what I'm researching at the moment on what will do the job for me. Additional features of interest you may want are alarm inputs/outputs; This is where you can hook up 12v inputs to trigger recording (i.e from your house alarm, or a external PIR), or use the 12V outputs to trigger outdoor lighting relays, or to trigger a SMS text dialler to send you a text message; something to consider if you are away from home without a internet or 3G/4G connection. Ability to record/copy onto a USB stick is a given must-have.

Brands...the real headache. Lots on unbranded stuff out there...Chinese stuff imported where a UK/EU wholesaler sticks their own brand on it. Some good, some bad, lots inbetween. I can't help much here yet....apart from I already know:

Bottom end unbranded stuff of all technologies is what you find plastered over eBay. Good luck.
Bottom end branded/cheap stuff is what you find at Maplin and DIY stores, stuff like Swann. Its cheap, low resolution, but least you know what you're getting.
High-end branded: Vivotek there are a few others
Top-end branded: Axis...very expensive £££££!

So really what you need to do first is work out your budget and choose the technology that fits it best.

Hope that helps, I plan to do a thread once I get started but suffice to say my needs may not be yours...I'm going for a HD IP-CCTV system of at least 8channels max budget must be less than £2K all-in (including cable and SMS dialler, UPS power supply etc). Still narrowing down the brands and types of cameras (done, bullet, lens focal lengths etc.).

BLU 29 September 2015 02:18 PM

Wow Ali, thanks for taking the time to type that up :thumb::thumb::thumb:, all very helpful as I haven't got a jar of glue where to start :lol1: Now I've got a rough idea what systems are what I can narrow my searches down a little and go from there. Keep me posted with what you decide to go with :thumb:

TT

IP / Analogue? No idea atm :freak3:
Number of cameras? 2 min, no more than 4 I think
Colour / mono? Either or, clear picture is more important
Day / night options - IR or white lit? Day and night option is a must I'd say as for type again no idea atm :freak3:
Lighting? Is it needed with a night option?
Range? 15m will see the boundary of my property from the house.
what kit do you already have / need - PoE Switches, storage, NAS, NVR etc I have nothing other than a computer and a mobile so staring from scratch. I have a house alarm too so may be able to link that it somehow??? (I need help deciphering the acronyms though :( )
Oh and most importantly what you want / can afford to pay This will be set when I have a rough idea what system I need. I won't be looking at high end gear, however I'm not wanting to buy cheap Chinese sh*t either!

Will Having a CCTV set up keep the Home Insurance thieves happy?

beanys 29 September 2015 09:42 PM

last year when my house got broke in to I bought this

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/swann-dvr8...-cameras-a92qz

You can watch your camera's on your smart phone any were in the world with alerts

Easy to install and set up

Works great at night

BLU 30 September 2015 04:26 PM

Thats pretty much what I'm after. Nice one :thumb:

ALi-B 30 September 2015 04:53 PM

Just been nosing at the Swann stuff again now I'm a bit more clued up from when I last looked (and quickly glazed over):

They do in fact do a HD IP-CCTV kit, thats 1080p/3megapixels :

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/swann-nvr8...FQZ22wodY4sJOw BUT That's £900!

Which compared to the one linked by beany which is a 960H system (High definition analogue) shows the vast differences in price vs. specification for a 4camera kit.

I'm not saying you should go out and buy that, just during my earlier trawls I came across this retailer that had youtube videos showing the differences: https://www.hdcctv.co.uk/hd-vs-sd.html

Obviously I can't comment on if the vids have been rigged so he can sell the better/more expensive kit, but I have no other reason not to believe him.

BLU 30 September 2015 06:07 PM

Holy cr4p its like night and day, but so is the price :(

tarmac terror 30 September 2015 10:19 PM

First things first - what are you aiming to achieve with CCTV?

At 15m with 2 cameras in daylight which will probably have somewhere between a 3mm and 8mm lens, you will see a small figure breach the boundary of your property and not a lot more, you may be able to get an indication of what colour of clothing they are wearing, but you will not be able to identify them. After dark some CCTV will use black and white images, so you wont be able to distinguish colour; So your CCTV recording becomes of very limited use after the event. You don't want to discover this after the event, so I'm trying to prompt you to think about it up front.

Assuming you want to protect your home and deter burglars, you should look at the points which would be used to force entry to your home, and consider covering those with cameras, particularly any which are out of view of neighbours, passers by etc. If you want to keep the number of cameras down to two, look for specific ingress / egress points and cover those - I'd suggest your back and front door.

It is important to consider where you place the camera - the typical error is to place the camera high to keep it out of reach; the problem with this is that it gives a great view of the top of the burglars head and shoulders, which is totally useless for identification. Look to see where you can mount cameras at or near eye level for the best chance of identification, this is likely to lead you towards dome type cameras which are often vandal-resistant - make sure to understand what this means, they are not vandal proof, but will take a bit of effort to damage with brute force.

These are some of the factors which will determine how many cameras you really need, which is your starting point.

The other thing to realise is that security needs to be layered to protect your property properly. Many people make the error of spending a lot on CCTV, without having improved the physical barriers to access by installing solid doors and frames with good quality locks, and good exterior lighting.

Still want CCTV? having recalculated the number of cameras you actually need is it still within your budget?

Will come back to this when I have a bit more time.

Puff The Magic Wagon! 01 October 2015 09:43 AM

What Tarmac said...

In terms of cameras, take a look on eBay for Hikvision IP stuff - its very good quality. Variety of cameras and lenses for both indoor/outdoor with/without IR.

They can be bought from China to keep costs down - DS-2CD3132 3mp dome is around £65 or £95 from a UK seller and about the same for the bullet version.

DS-7640NI (4x IP Cam) can be had for £160 but you have to add in the cost of the HDDs as well - £225 all in about for 1TB.

The NVR does all that you would expect of one and allows appropriate remote access via the free iPhone/Android app. Some things are still a bit Chinese/badly translated but getting better. Hikvision provide a free DDNS service so that you can always access your cams/nvr without having to worry about a fixed ip.

Cams can also be accessed without the NVR if you are on a budget and some come with SD Card capability for storage.

Not a salesman for them, just a satisfied user.

BLU 02 October 2015 09:22 AM

My house is fairly secure tbh, decent locks (all upgraded) decent alarm etc. Cameras are going to be there as a deterrent and as a means of catching anyone who decides to break in. Its also going to be there to keep an eye on the cars too, for potential theft and/or vandalism. Whilst I know a camera can't stop this it is a least a chance to catch anyone who has a go/looks dodgy etc....... Two of the cars are kept within a metre of the front of the house.

Cheers PTMW, I'll check them out.

I think 3 cameras min will be required 1 at front door (recessed open porch) 1 overlooking the drive/cars and 1 near rear door.

chet123 02 October 2015 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by BLU (Post 11744197)
My house is fairly secure tbh, decent locks (all upgraded) decent alarm etc. Cameras are going to be there as a deterrent and as a means of catching anyone who decides to break in. Its also going to be there to keep an eye on the cars too, for potential theft and/or vandalism. Whilst I know a camera can't stop this it is a least a chance to catch anyone who has a go/looks dodgy etc....... Two of the cars are kept within a metre of the front of the house.

Cheers PTMW, I'll check them out.

I think 3 cameras min will be required 1 at front door (recessed open porch) 1 overlooking the drive/cars and 1 near rear door.

Hi, hikvision gets my vote and after extensive research is what i went for. They are better than expected. I bought mines from use-ip.com a shop in Brighton somewhere from what i can remember. I wouldnt advise buying from china or abroad, what happen if something goes wrong with them or returning etc.

Have a word with use-ip.com they stock loads of different cameras and nvrs but i recommend the hikvision poe as its easy to setup quality is outstanding.

I think they also do a try before you buy option. Post how you get on.

Chet