ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Essex Subaru Owners Club (https://www.scoobynet.com/essex-subaru-owners-club-362/)
-   -   *** ESOC Pub Meets 2016 *** (https://www.scoobynet.com/essex-subaru-owners-club-362/1030105-esoc-pub-meets-2016-a.html)

Frizzle-Dee 28 September 2015 01:38 PM

*** ESOC Pub Meets 2016 ***

1 Attachment(s)

**Please read below before casting your vote in the poll above**

If last Saturday has taught us anything, it’s that with some careful organisation, a bit of forward planning, a hint of British sunshine (plus some fluffy puppies thrown in for good measure), we are capable of actually achieving a decent turn out like the good old days.

The success of Saturday, which saw 20 cars in attendance, has renewed the enthusiasm to keep the pub meets at the Rodney alive for as long as people are still prepared to attend them. A few people were asking me- as I seem to have been unofficially elected as the ‘organiser-person’ :lol1:- when the next one would be and this is why I have decided to set up this poll, to allow you as the attendees the opportunity to choose when you would be most likely to attend. It would be great if every gathering was as impressive as the last one.

Going forward, I hope we can kiss goodbye to the disappointment that comes from 1-2 car turnouts and see a re-vamp in this club’s tradition.

I know it has been said that a few people would be more likely to attend events if they were held on Sundays rather than Saturdays, as they have family and working commitments which can impact on their ability to give up a Saturday afternoon. Whereas there is nothing to stop us organising some form of Sunday outing later down the line, this poll is purely concerning the Rodney Pub Meets and unfortunately, due to business hours, Sunday is sadly not an option.

I have provided 3 options here as to how we can approach the Pub Meets in 2016

The majority choice will of course be the winner and I will leave this poll running until the end of November to ensure people have ample time to make their selection.

(With regards to the remainder of 2015, there will be a separate thread going up shortly regarding the possible inclusion of a ‘Christmas Gathering’ midway through December this year; those who are interested should have a gander at their earliest convenience)

The three options for 2016 are as follows; please select your preferred option accordingly.

a, Monthly Pub Meets- So basically, nothing changes. The meet will continue to be held on the last Saturday of the month (with December being the obvious exception). The thread for these meets will be posted on the 1st of the month in question (or thereabouts) giving people ample time to plan ahead, make room in their calendars and get their names down on the list.

b, Quarterly Meets- These will be held every 3 months. A basic-but no way-set-in-stone-example would be: March, June, September, and December. (Or Spring, Summer, Autumn, and Winter) By making these gatherings less of a frequent occurrence, it makes them more of a special event which in turn encourages more people to find the time to join in. Again, threads will be posted up early, this time offering 1-2 months’ notice and numbers permitting, could also see the addition of other activities such as a raffle…but naturally nothing that would disrupt the pub’s business practices or tread on toes. We are guests after all.

c, Seasonal Meets- This is a bit of a hybrid of the a. and b. Not many people fancy the idea of venturing out in the colder, rainier, more miserable days in the British calendar and therefore we have the option to miss out these bleaker months altogether, as this is most likely to be when attendance will be at its lowest. Here, the pub meets will still take place monthly, but only during the period where the weather is more likely to be forgiving- For example March through to September ONLY. However, this option could see a possible inclusion of an annual Christmas Meet in mid-December to break the winter silence.

Please have a think about which of these three options would be the most suitable for you and select the one you prefer.

If you have any comments or thoughts, please feel free to share them below.

If you are new to the scene and have yet to attend one of these meets but feel you would like to, your thoughts are just as relevant so don’t be shy, make yourself known and add your vote. :thumb:

So, what’s it to be? A, B or C?

Attachment 42371

JohnD 28 September 2015 08:03 PM

As much as I enjoy the monthly meets (and the excuse for a little blast there and back) I think the quarterly meets are the safer choice in terms of maintaining the enthusiasm.
Zo's still winding the guys up with that Husky puppy vid..........Ha,ha

JohnD

Lillyart14 29 September 2015 09:22 AM

Remember chatting about this. It's difficult to choose between b and c tbh.

B has an advantage of being a quarterly meet and as pointed out above 'makes it more special', but if the turn-out for saturday was anything to go by, we won't have enough room for all the cars (I just about made it in) and if you couldn't make the June meet for example, you'd be waiting for at least 6 months between two meets, which is a LONG time IMO.

C works well because the weather is 'expected' to be warmer but we go back to the old 'there's always next month' situation so numbers might start to fall again. But with early planning like this month's, you'll hopefully get more people planning ahead and making themselves available for the day.

A is a no-no from me. You've already seen what happens with that sadly...

So I'm gonna abstain from voting and will side with whichever choice between B and C wins and if A wins then I hate you all and I'm gonna buy a Prius...

Scoobysmeet 29 September 2015 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Lillyart14 (Post 11742918)
Remember chatting about this. It's difficult to choose between b and c tbh.

B has an advantage of being a quarterly meet and as pointed out above 'makes it more special', but if the turn-out for saturday was anything to go by, we won't have enough room for all the cars (I just about made it in) and if you couldn't make the June meet for example, you'd be waiting for at least 6 months between two meets, which is a LONG time IMO.

C works well because the weather is 'expected' to be warmer but we go back to the old 'there's always next month' situation so numbers might start to fall again. But with early planning like this month's, you'll hopefully get more people planning ahead and making themselves available for the day.

A is a no-no from me. You've already seen what happens with that sadly...

So I'm gonna abstain from voting and will side with whichever choice between B and C wins and if A wins then I hate you all and I'm gonna buy a Prius...

Right, that's me voting A just so you have to go buy a Prius! :lol::hjtwofing

Frizzle-Dee 01 October 2015 04:43 PM

I've just noticed that the poll is to close on November 7th, even though I said in the original post it would be open until the END of November.

I win at counting. :freak3:

Oh well, it's still giving you lot 5 weeks to commit to an answer. I would like to think we would have a clear winner by then. And if not..well then :razz: the lot o' yer.

frayz 02 October 2015 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Frizzle-Dee (Post 11744020)
I've just noticed that the poll is to close on November 7th, even though I said in the original post it would be open until the END of November.

I win at counting. :freak3:

Oh well, it's still giving you lot 5 weeks to commit to an answer. I would like to think we would have a clear winner by then. And if not..well then :razz: the lot o' yer.

Adjusted

Frizzle-Dee 02 October 2015 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by frayz (Post 11744272)
Adjusted

Thank you Mr. Moderator :D

Kickboxerjay 03 October 2015 05:06 PM

I'm up for b but I'm happy to go along with what ever happens as long as the meets continue :)

trotters1 04 October 2015 01:04 PM

we like the monthly meets so have gone with the seasonal meet as quarterly meets are a bit of a wait if you miss one but anything is better than no meets at all

deliverydriver69 05 October 2015 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by trotters1 (Post 11745058)
we like the monthly meets so have gone with the seasonal meet as quarterly meets are a bit of a wait if you miss one but anything is better than no meets at all

C, would be for me as like some have said if u miss one then you would have to wait 6 months other wise😢 but then again any meet is better than no meet what's so ever😬😬

Gary Tractor boy 08 October 2015 08:45 PM

Hi I am across the border in Suffolk and have always wanted to pop down to a meet but never got round to it as it would be about an hours drive. (Also struggle to do a sat meet)

Any thoughts on maybe doing a "meet and drive" meet, so doing the normal pub meet then a B road run out in Essex somewhere ? Or some car clubs do a breakfast meet and run afterwards? Just thought this might appeal to more members and might get the numbers up I know I would make the effort and the trip down south.

Gary:thumb:

JohnD 08 October 2015 08:51 PM

It's a great shame the 8 Ball Diner on the A12 never re-opened, that was a good venue.

JohnD

Symon 13 October 2015 02:12 AM

There's a diner bout 7 miles further called the bungalow. .. simular in every way to the 8 ball massive car park good food and loads of car meets are still happening up there... look up marks Tey colchester on the ol Google app and that's where it is

Frizzle-Dee 01 December 2015 09:37 AM

....And we have a winner...

So 'Quarterly Meets' wins the vote, closely followed by 'Seasonal'.

A big 'Thank You' to all who voted. :)

A new *Sticky* will be going up before the end of the year which will outline the dates that these new pub meets will take place in 2016.

In the interests of keeping everyone happy and utilising what little decent weather we are blessed with in this country, I propose that summer will consist of two meet-ups instead of the one, this will allow for less of a gap in the nicer months. This also means if you can't make one, you wont have to wait so long for the next.

An example of this layout (although in no means set in stone just yet) would be:

1st Quarter: March

2nd Quarter: May and July

3rd Quarter: September

4th Quarter: December

Colder/bleaker months will have a 3 month gap between meets.
Nicer/warmer months will have a 2 month gap between meets.

All in all, 5 meets a year should make for a better turnout combined with plenty of notice and reminders.
And if it proves successful and people want more, we can always revisit the scheduling in 2017 :thumb:

With regards to the earlier suggestions made regarding 'meet and drives' and scheduling trips to road-side diners- please know, I wasn't ignoring you...:lol1: I actively encourage any suggestions anyone has.
If anyone would like to organise an outing, you are more than welcome to.
So feel free to throw some ideas around. Afterall- that is the point of a forum. :idea:

Naturally I ask if any individuals take it upon themselves to organise an outing under the club name, that they adhere to the Members Code of Conduct: Points 3) and 4) which can be found on the main page :thumb: