ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Thinking of going back from newage sti to a classic sti (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1030095-thinking-of-going-back-from-newage-sti-to-a-classic-sti.html)

serpico 28 September 2015 12:58 AM

Thinking of going back from newage sti to a classic sti

As above really. I've currently got a 54 plate blob sti but I'm really yearning for another classic.
I've been looking particularly at a V6 STI. I Just love the look & raw driving feel to them. I know the newage is a better all round car but I just can't help wanting another classic. Am I looking at them through rose tinted glasses? Am I crazy to want to sell up & buy an older car?! Has anyone else done the same? Any regrets?
Cheers

TypeR99 28 September 2015 09:45 AM

depends if its a toy or a daily. Newage tick the "all rounder" box better than a classic as a daily and tend to be more wife friendly.

I went from a classic to a hawk and back to a type r but i'm debating on wether to change again to a blob sti. Newage vs classic are completely different cars in terms of driving sensation etc but the 1st thing you notice when going newage to classic is the difference in build quality. You're looking at 15/16 year old cars and it starts to show.

JDM_Stig 28 September 2015 10:05 AM

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...-up-noise.html

depends if it is too raw . . .

jaygsi 28 September 2015 11:20 AM

Classic all the way for me, but as has been said depends what you want it for, if i was using it as a daily driver for long journeys you might go for newage. But i use mine as a weekend car.

Saying that my missus has had a classic for years and loves it. She thinks the newage are to soft.

RS_Matt 28 September 2015 02:58 PM

I'd personally go classic over the 2004 STI.

Tidgy 28 September 2015 02:59 PM

New age, jack of all trades master of none, classic raw performance. Type r or RA is the way to go ;)

fat-thomas 28 September 2015 05:09 PM

Everyday car newage,quick blast classic
Trolling and sti envy get a wrx.

ditchmyster 28 September 2015 06:12 PM

If you're going to drive an STI, it has to be a Classic. ;)

BBB3 28 September 2015 06:41 PM

I missed the feel of classic Impreza, I got a hawk spec c and that feels abit like a classic to drive

serpico 28 September 2015 10:00 PM

I've had a good few classics. The last being a P1. I've had the newage STI for 3-4 months now. As said it's great as a daily but I seem to be using it less & less. I have a company car so I must clock circa 4k per annum in my own car. Hence I'm considering reverting back to a classic. I obviously miss the raw driving feel of them too. If I do revert back to one it has to be the 4 door. Mostly for practicality when kids are in tow but I actually prefer the 4 door over the 2. Controversial I know. That's why I was thinking the V6 STI.
My only worry is as mentioned they are a bit long in the tooth. Am I opening myself into a money pit or an investment in an appreciating classic? I know the newage STI are commanding decent money too, so it may be a good time to sell up?
What I really want is to have both the classic & newage but can't see me wangling that past the Mrs. Especially as I'm doing minimal mileage at the mo.

wrx2005 25 March 2019 08:35 PM

You won't regret it

1509joe 25 March 2019 09:38 PM

Would say he's long made his mind up.

Ash Webster 26 March 2019 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by serpico (Post 11742819)
My only worry is as mentioned they are a bit long in the tooth. Am I opening myself into a money pit or an investment in an appreciating classic? I know the newage STI are commanding decent money too, so it may be a good time to sell up?.

classics are a labour of love - lots of hidden costs but when you get that kick up the arse in such a light , agile car, nothing quite compares.

Rusti 26 March 2019 01:50 PM

What you really need is a nice Fozzy :top:

pjarvis6666 26 March 2019 03:18 PM

I would go with a classic if you can find a decent GC8 with no rear arch issues!!! coming from a blob sti owner :)

jap_master 29 March 2019 03:40 PM

have both like me :)

pjarvis6666 29 March 2019 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by jap_master (Post 12049125)

Best of both worlds!!! Very Cool :cool:

scoobiepaul 29 March 2019 09:17 PM

Litchfield T25 Spec C would be a good compromise.

wrx2005 30 March 2019 12:10 AM

Type r with newage running gear.
Ultimate impreza

funkyrimpler 31 March 2019 08:49 PM

I have a classic Type R with 2.1 stroker engine and 6 speed DCCD. it's great fun and imho, much more involving than the later cars... All models are great but the early JDM cars are just pure magic..

domino46 01 April 2019 07:47 AM

id happily trade my classic in for a blob or hawk sti ,, only due to the newer ones being easier to drive day to day lol