ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Expectations in the workplace (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1030027-expectations-in-the-workplace.html)

Jamz3k 26 September 2015 10:19 AM

Expectations in the workplace

I've come across a slightly annoying issue is work, there are 4 people in the team I work with and we all do varied shifts. One person keeps taking time off during their long shift and I am the one who always has to cover it and no one else is asked to do so.

I have refused to cover Monday so instead of asking someone else to do it, nothing has been arranged, no one will be there and I will be landed in the **** yet again.

Am I being petty and should I just come in? Or do I stand my ground and await the aggro?

fat-thomas 26 September 2015 10:36 AM

Grow some balls and don't do it.
If anything is said ask why the other two can't cover it.

alcazar 26 September 2015 11:52 AM

As above...I'd be asking anyway.
And if the answer is that you are better...ask for a raise.

Raptorman 26 September 2015 12:30 PM

**** that, just tell them your not doing it.

Simple.

DYK 26 September 2015 01:03 PM

Happens all the time in transport industry and if one thing i learned is don't let your employer take the p1ss.You don't mind helping out now and again if the company has a problem.But give an inch and they will take a mile until one day you suddenly realise how did i get stuck with this and you are the one always getting the short straw,nip it the bud.Appears you done your fair Share of covering for someone else,if the others can't take a turn they will continue to rely on you solely.I'd be having some words with whoever is in charge.

Tidgy 26 September 2015 02:13 PM

and thats your problem how?

sorry to say but sound like you've been a soft touch till now

Scrappy9 26 September 2015 03:44 PM

Sounds like you have been more than helpful, l would point out that you have bailed them out on more than one occasion, but you have other commitments outside of work so can't keep doing it.

At the end of the day management need to address the issue of your colleague constantly taking days off

stevebt 26 September 2015 07:03 PM

Why do the other people not step up? Do you keep jumping in for the extra cash? Unless your self employed they can't do anything if you refuse to cover another team member as that's why there is temp agencies :D

1509joe 26 September 2015 07:10 PM

Do you work in a test station.

b3nmw 26 September 2015 09:05 PM

Have a word with ur supervisor

BoozyDave 26 September 2015 10:41 PM

grow some balls, don't go in. if it's not your shift, it's not your problem

JGlanzaV 27 September 2015 08:55 AM

I do that all the time, always take the crap days off work, some other muppet will step in and do it.... And there is nothing to stop you doing the same thing to them.

There is no such thing as a team these days, its one for all and all for one.

Last year I was working 4 days a week, been paid over time for 2 of them, and on holiday for 3 of them..... 7 days a week pay, with 2 days at double time and 3 days off.... Everyone complained because its "not fair" blah blah blah. But thats the rules, some people are just better than playing the system than others.

Jamz3k 27 September 2015 04:39 PM

It's not a case of growing some balls, I just thought i may have been coming across very petty.

I work with utter bellends who would see you drown quicker than help which is why I generally do it for the fella but it's becoming a constant thing when I'm on my earlier shift and he's on his lates.

Surprisingly the company pays well for overtime but no one seems to want it, so neither do I next week.:)

fat-thomas 27 September 2015 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jamz3k (Post 11742175)
It's not a case of growing some balls, I just thought i may have been coming across very petty.

I work with utter bellends who would see you drown quicker than help which is why I generally do it for the fella but it's becoming a constant thing when I'm on my earlier shift and he's on his lates.

Surprisingly the company pays well for overtime but no one seems to want it, so neither do I next week.:)

Surely it is a case of manning up.
Most people would just say no like the rest of your team already do.
The fact you started a thread asking what to do points somewhat to a lack of gentleman vegetables.
The lack of balls is probably Why your boss asks you everytime, it's because youre a soft touch and can obviously be bullied.

Jamz3k 27 September 2015 04:56 PM

Mmm maybe you actually have a point!

Jonnys3 28 September 2015 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jamz3k (Post 11741782)
I have refused to cover Monday so instead of asking someone else to do it, nothing has been arranged, no one will be there and I will be landed in the **** yet again.

Surely it's down to whoever organizes the shifts to ensure it's covered, not you?