ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Get UK Sti to rev to 8k like JDM (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1029681-get-uk-sti-to-rev-to-8k-like-jdm.html)

SmurfyBhoy 17 September 2015 03:11 PM

Get UK Sti to rev to 8k like JDM

Would it be as easy as bolting on the JDM heads if you could get a pair along with a remap of course ? Or are you just as well buying upgraded vales springs & cams etc ??

2003 Blobeye STI

banny sti 17 September 2015 03:13 PM

Pointless revving that high if the turbo is not making power, for what it would cost to do it on a standard turbo its not worth it.

SmurfyBhoy 17 September 2015 03:25 PM

ah so you would require the twin scroll manifold and turbo at a minimum.

what about on a Td05 20g ??

with a larger more capable turbo would it then be just a case of bolting on the JDM heads ?

banny sti 17 September 2015 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by SmurfyBhoy (Post 11738526)
ah so you would require the twin scroll manifold and turbo at a minimum.

what about on a Td05 20g ??

with a larger more capable turbo would it then be just a case of bolting on the JDM heads ?

The 20G would definitely benefit from the extra 1k rpm, afaik it should just be a case of bolting the heads on from a any newage jdm up to the blob as the sensor setup changed for the hawkeye. Would need some further investigation regarding the wiring matching up to the UK setup :thumb:

BBB3 17 September 2015 03:51 PM

The title made me smile :)

SmurfyBhoy 17 September 2015 03:57 PM

just pisses me off i can see 8k on my tacho but never reach it :(

so what i gather is on stock uk turbo forget it.

however if i got a td05 20g and a pair of jdm heads i would achieve it ?

would i still be able to run unequal length manifolds ?

bustaMOVEs 17 September 2015 03:59 PM

Good luck finding jdm heads

banny sti 17 September 2015 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by SmurfyBhoy (Post 11738552)

yes the 20G will use the extra 1k on a 2 litre engine, you will have no issue bolting the exhaust or inlet manifold to the heads.

SmurfyBhoy 17 September 2015 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs (Post 11738554)
Good luck finding jdm heads

Are they hard to come by ? without the JDM heads what would i need ? new springs and valves with cams ? Expensive i know.

banny sti 17 September 2015 04:49 PM

If you budget 4-500 for a set you should be able to find some in a reasonable timescale

BBB3 17 September 2015 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by SmurfyBhoy (Post 11738552)

I always reach it :D

alcazar 17 September 2015 10:09 PM

How many miles on the present engine?

Won't this badly stress the bottom end???

SmurfyBhoy 18 September 2015 09:22 AM

60 k on engine

Peedee 18 September 2015 02:46 PM

Go for a full twin-scroll setup, then your car can sound like a nova with a straight through system lol.

SmurfyBhoy 18 September 2015 02:55 PM

if twin scroll was fitted can ye just up the rev limit or do you need the heads to go with it ? can it be done on stock uk ecu ??

alcazar 18 September 2015 08:39 PM

At this point, I'd like to know WHY you want to do this? What's the point? What do you hope to gain?

I mean, seriously, the car performs. The JDM 8k rev limit cars aren't appreciably faster.

If you want a screamer, trade it against an Integra Type R.

boosted 18 September 2015 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11739046)
At this point, I'd like to know WHY you want to do this? What's the point? What do you hope to gain?

I mean, seriously, the car performs. The JDM 8k rev limit cars aren't appreciably faster.

Exactly! What's wrong with torque? Just run more boost!

scoobiepaul 18 September 2015 09:32 PM

I thought max bhp/torque was around the 6,000 rpm mark why try to rev it to 8,000rpm?

SmurfyBhoy 18 September 2015 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11739046)

Aha. Mates have hondas they sound good but no torque. Thot it would be a best of both worlds. Wider powerband if not higher figures.

Tidgy 18 September 2015 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by SmurfyBhoy (Post 11739077)
Aha. Mates have hondas they sound good but no torque. Thot it would be a best of both worlds. Wider powerband if not higher figures.

nope, turbo will be running out before you hit current rev limit anyway

ditchmyster 18 September 2015 10:03 PM

By the time you've done that lot, it will probably be cheaper to just buy a JDM STI.

Front mount, turbo, remap and hello 500bhp 8k red line, happy days.:thumb:

See Shauns thread in Projects.

SmurfyBhoy 18 September 2015 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 11739087)
By the time you've done that lot, it will probably be cheaper to just buy a JDM STI.

Front mount, turbo, remap and hello 500bhp 8k red line, happy days.:thumb:

See Shauns thread in Projects.

I have a frount mount a fuel pump and an remap by andy forrest. Running approx350/350. Just liked the idea of more revs. I get tht turbos arnt very effective at high revs and also the extra stresses. Just curious as to what is required n what is the best way to achieve it. Suppose to widen powerband could get a better spooling setup. But faster spooling turbos dont get power i believe

Tidgy 18 September 2015 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by SmurfyBhoy (Post 11739100)
I have a frount mount a fuel pump and an remap by andy forrest. Running approx350/350. Just liked the idea of more revs. I get tht turbos arnt very effective at high revs and also the extra stresses. Just curious as to what is required n what is the best way to achieve it. Suppose to widen powerband could get a better spooling setup. But faster spooling turbos dont get power i believe

It's always a play off between power and spool, 2.0 isnt a good place to start really due to it not having the low down grunt of a 2.5. Only real way to expand the power band after a certain amount of power is put a bigger engine in. aka turbo gets bigger, spool gets slower

ditchmyster 18 September 2015 10:44 PM

As always there are many ways to skin a cat, also depends what you're after and what the care is being used for.

My personal preferences are handling and braking, it's amazing what can be done with a well sorted chassis and good brakes.

Just depends what floats your boat, I'm not a power junkie anymore, I'm more into lines, carrying speed and hard late braking.

I don't think more power is the be all and end all of a faster car.

Power is useless without the ability to take advantage of it, in anything but a straight line.

ditchmyster 19 September 2015 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 11739104)
It's always a play off between power and spool, 2.0 isnt a good place to start really due to it not having the low down grunt of a 2.5. Only real way to expand the power band after a certain amount of power is put a bigger engine in. aka turbo gets bigger, spool gets slower

But with the 2.5L there's no sense of urgency and they don't rev out in the same way a 2.0L does, 2.5L's are by no means slow because when you look down at the speedo you're tearing up the road pretty rapidly, but it's a very linear power delivery with a wave of torque.

It's horses for courses though, I like the sense of urgency and also prefer not to go too far above a ton to get my kicks, 40 to 90 is plenty fast enough on the types of roads I like to drive, the fun is in hanging the back end out a little and putting the car where you want it to be, once it's in 3rd it's not so much about power as it is about carrying speed, which goes back to handling and set up.

Which is why cars like the Clio and Megane do so well against cars with twice the BHP.

alcazar 19 September 2015 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by SmurfyBhoy (Post 11739100)

Do you already have a Harvey trick up-pipe?

If not, contact AS Performance for a chat.

Mine is producing 1bar of boost by 2800rpm.

Tidgy 20 September 2015 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 11739141)
But with the 2.5L there's no sense of urgency and they don't rev out in the same way a 2.0L does, 2.5L's are by no means slow because when you look down at the speedo you're tearing up the road pretty rapidly, but it's a very linear power delivery with a wave of torque.

It's horses for courses though, I like the sense of urgency and also prefer not to go too far above a ton to get my kicks, 40 to 90 is plenty fast enough on the types of roads I like to drive, the fun is in hanging the back end out a little and putting the car where you want it to be, once it's in 3rd it's not so much about power as it is about carrying speed, which goes back to handling and set up.

Which is why cars like the Clio and Megane do so well against cars with twice the BHP.

given the op is about getting a bigger power band then thats exactly what the 2.5 is hahahah

ditchmyster 20 September 2015 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 11739395)
given the op is about getting a bigger power band then thats exactly what the 2.5 is hahahah

His power band is crap because the standard STI is crap, as he's discovered noting much happens until 4k then it hit's the wall and starts tailing off a little over 2k later, which is why so many owners get rid of the turbo and palm them off onto WRX owners that don't know any better. And they're even worse on a WRX because there's no AVCS to help.

A Tuned 2.5L with an SC36 is slightly better and does pick up way sooner, but still won't rev out like a JDM does, the one I have personal experience of still couldn't hold a candle to my Type R @330 bhp with VF34 though and that had 360bhp/370ftb.

Like I said before best and cheapest way is just to go buy a remapped JDM STI and the op will get exactly what he's after, and a the real bonus, a rear wiper. :D

SmurfyBhoy 21 September 2015 02:58 PM

Cheers guys,

I think a larger turbo may be required now :)

Tidgy 21 September 2015 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 11739417)
His power band is crap because the standard STI is crap, as he's discovered noting much happens until 4k then it hit's the wall and starts tailing off a little over 2k later, which is why so many owners get rid of the turbo and palm them off onto WRX owners that don't know any better. And they're even worse on a WRX because there's no AVCS to help.

A Tuned 2.5L with an SC36 is slightly better and does pick up way sooner, but still won't rev out like a JDM does, the one I have personal experience of still couldn't hold a candle to my Type R @330 bhp with VF34 though and that had 360bhp/370ftb.

Like I said before best and cheapest way is just to go buy a remapped JDM STI and the op will get exactly what he's after, and a the real bonus, a rear wiper. :D

Didn't have those issues on mine ;) OK forged build with sc46+ and single avcs hawk heads lol