ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Quick drop link question (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1029582-quick-drop-link-question.html)

piehole1983 14 September 2015 07:48 PM

Quick drop link question

Do classics with steel wishbones use the same drop links as classics with alloy wishbones?

Reason being, I have new billet drop links for my classic that's got steel wishbones and I may change to alloy wishbones.

Lillyart14 14 September 2015 08:07 PM

Different on the front, same on the rear. My imported Classic had alloy wishbones and require a different front droplink as the wishbone has a little 'lip' on them for the droplink to fit into. Found that out the hard way with my whiteline's last year...

piehole1983 14 September 2015 11:36 PM

Thanks for the reply mate, so basically my current drop links are a no go with alloy arms?

Lillyart14 15 September 2015 09:49 AM

Correct, if your current ones are designed for a UK model car. got whitleline gold alloy droplinks from a website called subaru4u. Cost close to £100 but worth it. Give them a ring and explain what wishbones you have and they'll steer you right...

Lillyart14 15 September 2015 09:54 AM

Correct. Get in touch with a website called subaru4u. They'll steer you right. I got white line gold alloy droplinks for just under £100.

piehole1983 16 September 2015 10:13 PM

Thanks for the help. I've looked at their website and they list the GC8 drop links as suiting both the WRX and STI, I can only assume that means they'll work with both steel and alloy wishbones?

dj219957 16 September 2015 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by piehole1983 (Post 11738252)
Thanks for the help. I've looked at their website and they list the GC8 drop links as suiting both the WRX and STI, I can only assume that means they'll work with both steel and alloy wishbones?

wrx saloon had alloy
wrx wagon had steel

Lillyart14 16 September 2015 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by piehole1983 (Post 11738252)

Just been on there to double-check that. Yes and no. Yes they have them on both models, no because they are slightly different. Like I said, ring them, because I didn't and ended up having to order another set.

AS Performance 17 September 2015 09:10 AM

wouldn't personally use solid links with alloy arms regardless of various companies offering kits to adapt them

we stock Whiteline, SuperPro, Powerflex, Eibach, Tein, etc. alignment & suspension products and simply simply the "best" option for your needs / budget

piehole1983 17 September 2015 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by AS Performance (Post 11738369)
wouldn't personally use solid links with alloy arms regardless of various companies offering kits to adapt them we stock Whiteline, SuperPro, Powerflex, Eibach, Tein, etc. alignment & suspension products and simply simply the "best" option for your needs / budget

What would be the best option for changing to alloy arms? When I say solid drop links, they are floflex alloy ones with poly bushes.

AS Performance 19 September 2015 08:27 AM

as stated i would not use the solid alloy type links combined with alloy arms - they are articulated as std because of the angle of the mountings and we find the solid ones cause stiction issues........

piehole1983 19 September 2015 09:58 AM

Thanks for the advice, I've opted to stick with my steel arms and billet drop links that are designed for them.