ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Engine Management and ECU Remapping (https://www.scoobynet.com/engine-management-and-ecu-remapping-453/)
-   -   Would a 9S ESL fit my (https://www.scoobynet.com/engine-management-and-ecu-remapping-453/1029527-would-a-9s-esl-fit-my.html)

Iqy7861 14 September 2015 07:46 AM

Would a 9S ESL fit my

Car, Hi guys been offered a 9S ECU with ESL,it's a 3 plug, Qustion is would this work on my car which prior to the Apexi Power Fc had a 8S Fitted?
Thanks

piehole1983 16 September 2015 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Iqy7861 (Post 11736625)
Car, Hi guys been offered a 9S ECU with ESL,it's a 3 plug, Qustion is would this work on my car which prior to the Apexi Power Fc had a 8S Fitted? Thanks

Probably best sending Andy Stevens a PM about this one, he'd know for sure.

scoobyricht 17 September 2015 10:04 AM

9s is the same as an 8s. its from EU cars the same spec as a uk turbo. the case might be different as its from a left hand drive car but the board will fit into a 8s case no problem. obviously the map will need to be changed to suit ur car...

Iqy7861 18 September 2015 04:26 PM

Thanks guys appreciate the advice,Both cars are Uk Turbos and both 1997, just wanted to confirm, it has a Esl already fitted with Motorsport function, hopefully if i get it I'll get it Mapped by Duncan.

Originally Posted by scoobyricht (Post 11738380)
9s is the same as an 8s. its from EU cars the same spec as a uk turbo. the case might be different as its from a left hand drive car but the board will fit into a 8s case no problem. obviously the map will need to be changed to suit ur car...

hardcoreimpreza 25 September 2015 04:11 PM

Did you win it?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ESL-SUBARU...p2047675.l2557

Iqy7861 27 September 2015 09:11 PM

Yes mate,Paid for it,But I haven't received the ECU and the guy is not responding to my emails or calls, Bit worried now :(

ossett2k2 27 September 2015 09:43 PM

Guy has solid feedback and it does say economy delivery from outside the UK,maybe he's abroad?
Great piece of kit tho :thumb:

hardcoreimpreza 28 September 2015 12:05 AM

Hope it turns up. How come you didn't buy a new one, its not that much more?

ossett2k2 28 September 2015 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by hardcoreimpreza (Post 11742365)
Hope it turns up. How come you didn't buy a new one, its not that much more?

Price with Motorsport pack+ vat is 474£ then the price of the ecu,so your looking at 500£. Saving £200 ain't to bad.
I bought the full package inc cable new,best money I've spent on the Scooby,and the support from Andy at ESL is very good :thumb:

Iqy7861 28 September 2015 03:09 AM

That's one of the reasons I bought it because of his feedback and also the saving, it's just that he's not responding to emails and his numbers not working now, but hopefully there'll be a good outcome, maybe i'm just being paranoid :)

ffeedback

Originally Posted by ossett2k2 (Post 11742371)
Price with Motorsport pack+ vat is 474£ then the price of the ecu,so your looking at 500£. Saving £200 ain't to bad.
I bought the full package inc cable new,best money I've spent on the Scooby,and the support from Andy at ESL is very good :thumb:

hardcoreimpreza 28 September 2015 10:30 AM

Forgot about motorsport pack, plus the ecu will already be in his own car.

Originally Posted by ossett2k2 (Post 11742371)

Andy Stevens 28 September 2015 10:57 AM

I tend to agree with hardcoreimpreza on this one, buying secondhand is a minefield, and I often end up having to sort out the problems.

Aside from the possbility of the ECU not turning up, being damaged or not being of the spec listed, the 97/8 ECUs come in a number of flavours and they are generally not cross compatible, UK and JDM versions have different loom wiring and there are component differences on the boards between uk/wrx/sti/twin turbo models.

Buying new also comes with a warranty and discounts available on software and cable dongles etc. Mapping secondhand ones may also be more expensive as the mapper misses out on their trade margin.

The prices of secondhand ESLs often reaches close to new value which is good for resale but be careful that buying a used one doesn't end up costing more in the long run.

HTH

Andy

Iqy7861 28 September 2015 11:21 AM

Thanks for that I'm gonna give it a few days if it doesn't turn up I'll contact Paypal,hopefully get my money back, then Maybe just buy new, The guy said it was in his 97 impreza on the phone and it's the same year as mine, Had all the features that I wanted plus his feed back on EBay was good,

QUOTE=Andy Stevens;11742438]I tend to agree with hardcoreimpreza on this one, buying secondhand is a minefield, and I often end up having to sort out the problems.

Aside from the possbility of the ECU not turning up, being damaged or not being of the spec listed, the 97/8 ECUs come in a number of flavours and they are generally not cross compatible, UK and JDM versions have different loom wiring and there are component differences on the boards between uk/wrx/sti/twin turbo models.

Buying new also comes with a warranty and discounts available on software and cable dongles etc. Mapping secondhand ones may also be more expensive as the mapper misses out on their trade margin.

The prices of secondhand ESLs often reaches close to new value which is good for resale but be careful that buying a used one doesn't end up costing more in the long run.

HTH

Andy[/QUOTE]

jaygsi 28 September 2015 11:37 AM

The daughter board can be removed and fitted to your own ecu, although i wouldn't want to do it myself.

But this is what i wondered about, would you get charged more for remapping as mapper misses out on their trade margin.

Originally Posted by Andy Stevens (Post 11742438)

HTH

Andy

ossett2k2 28 September 2015 01:00 PM

What Andy said is the reason I bought new.
A map tweak is around £150 BUT the mapper probably won't tweak your 2nd hand ESL,they will want to do a fresh map which will be at least £300+ so it would have come in at around the same price or cheaper to buy new from the mapper,with warranty as a piece of mind.
Or if you do what I am(DIY mapping) then as said you get a discount on the cable and software(which is very user friendly btw)
Look you've bought it now anyway so if you can't get your money back then I hope it all goes well.

jaygsi 11 October 2015 03:59 PM

Contacted Duncan he quoted £250 to remap esl.

ossett2k2 11 October 2015 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by jaygsi (Post 11747690)
Contacted Duncan he quoted £250 to remap esl.

That's not a bad price to say he charges £150 for a map tweak.

Iqy7861 11 October 2015 04:18 PM

Is it a tweak mate? He quoted me £330 including rolling rd hire.

ossett2k2 11 October 2015 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Iqy7861 (Post 11747700)

How come it's a tweak? Thought it was a 2nd hand ECU from a different car?
If it is then the mapper will probably load a stock rom for your car and then do a full remap.
I have a receipt from a couple of month ago for a Duncan map tweak,before I bought car,it's for £150 but wasn't dyno'd.

jaygsi 12 October 2015 12:06 AM

Thats correct its £250 then if you want it done on dyno is £80 extra. He prefers dyno but he will do road maps aswell.

Originally Posted by Iqy7861 (Post 11747700)

Iqy7861 12 October 2015 06:07 AM

Ossett that Q was for Jaygsi, yeh no worries dude I prefer Dyno too , got mine booked with Duncan, ECU arrived which was a result :)

jaygsi 12 October 2015 09:14 AM

Let us know how you get on bud, glad it arrived ok. Be nice to here how it went.

Originally Posted by Iqy7861 (Post 11747877)
Ossett that Q was for Jaygsi, yeh no worries dude I prefer Dyno too , got mine booked with Duncan, ECU arrived which was a result :)

Iqy7861 12 October 2015 09:21 AM

Will do buddy ��