ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries (https://www.scoobynet.com/dealer-and-third-party-supplier-queries-3/)
-   -   Warranty - new imports (https://www.scoobynet.com/dealer-and-third-party-supplier-queries-3/102950-warranty-new-imports.html)

lucky_strike 07 June 2002 03:14 PM

Anyone got any views on the warranty situation on a new import WRX or STi (European sourced).

I've seen written that all newly sold cars in Europe should now have a two years manufacturers warranty, others say only one year from Subaru and other says infact it is a three year Subaru warranty (imported or UK sourced)?

Idea's on where I might confirm what the definitive answer is on this - I'm getting from Motorpoint and they will try to sell an after market warranty (two years) which going off a thread below isn't going to be worth the paper its written on.

Thanks.

Steve vRS 07 June 2002 04:59 PM

First thing to check is whereyour car is being sourced from. Car supermarkets do get cars from Cyprus which is a non EU country and so the cars are not covered by EU law i.e. no pan -European warrenty.

If the car is from Subaru Benelux (spell), as mine is (bought in 2001 however so the rules may have changed), it is covered by a pan-European one year warrenty with a further two years from Subaru Benelux. Whether this is worth the paper it is written on I've yet to assertain!

Steve

Vanker 09 June 2002 12:21 AM

I have a MY02 from Belgium & it has 3 year warrenty but I had to register with IM so that in the event of a warrenty claim the UK dealer that I use can claim back form Subaru. Not sure what will happen if things go wrong but who cares brand new WRX for 15K.

Vanker 09 June 2002 12:24 AM

I would recommend snoop4cars.com as they source from Belgium (Knockhart Garage) the wait was a shade over 6 months.

lucky_strike 09 June 2002 02:46 PM

thanks, I'll give them a try. Don't want to appear to ignorant but you mention registering with IM - who/what is IM?

Thanks.

Harry_Boy 09 June 2002 08:40 PM

I'd heartily recommend Alain Knockaert. No need to buy through a broker, as Alain is so easy to deal with.

Got our MY02 WRX wagon in WR blue for 22,000 Euros plus VAT. Worked out at just around £16,000, plus the (cheap) cost of the ferry to Zeebrugge from Hull.

As for warranties, you will need to register the pan-European warranty with IM in order to get the first year's warranty free. Then it's the importer's two year warranty. So, if there's a problem at that time, the UK garage simply gets its authorisation from Subaru Benelux.

Harry_Boy 09 June 2002 08:42 PM

IM = International Motors, the UK Subaru importers.

Harry_Boy 09 June 2002 08:46 PM

Incidentally, our WRX was only four and a half months direct from Garage Knockaert. Contact details are:-

Garage Knockaert
Subaru Dealer in Ypres (Belgium)
Tel : 0032-57-20.20.66
Fax : 0032-57-21.61.98
E-mail : knockaert.gar@pandora.be

PS. I'd be wary of your deposit, if you go through a broker. IIRC, the guy who owns Snoop4 used to own Grey UK, which went into liquidation last year.... Not sure what happened to the punters' deposits though....

lucky_strike 10 June 2002 09:12 AM

I'm still a little unclear - register with IM for the first year's pan-european warranty (free), happy with this bit but after that 2 years warranty from IM (is this chargeable or included?) - not sure on this bit?

Harry_Boy 10 June 2002 09:36 AM

The remaining 2 years warranty is supplied by the EU importer (ie Subaru Benelux in this case). So, if you have a warranty claim in that period, your garage would need to contact Subaru Benelux to get the work authorised before going ahead. The same scenario as with UK claims really, but okayed in Holland/Belgium, rather than the UK.

This DOESN'T mean that you'd have to take the car back to the supplying dealer, however. ;0)