ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   2 grand scooby (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1029486-2-grand-scooby.html)

Sti-outlaw 13 September 2015 03:02 PM

2 grand scooby

Am looking into a scooby for the track around the 2 grand mark i know it won't be in mint condition but it's my budget. Is there any specific year or model that would make the best track car am not into big bhp looking for 330 bhp.

ditchmyster 13 September 2015 04:16 PM

Honestly mate, with a budget like that you're only asking for trouble.

My advice is save yourself the pain hassle and expense and choose a different car, these aren't the sort of motors that take kindly to being thrashed around a track by people that don't know sh1t loads about them, and even then it gets very expensive, very quickly.

Go buy a honda or a mazda, you'll have more fun and it will cost you a sh1t sight less. :thumb:

Sti-outlaw 13 September 2015 04:58 PM

Cheers for the reply but I will stick with the scooby thanks. If i wanted a honda am pretty sure that I wouldn't be posting about a scooby on a subaru form but post noted.

ditchmyster 13 September 2015 05:01 PM

Ok mate, your money your choice. :thumb:

nortonscooby 13 September 2015 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Sti-outlaw (Post 11736301)
Cheers for the reply but I will stick with the scooby thanks. If i wanted a honda am pretty sure that I wouldn't be posting about a scooby on a subaru form but post noted.

Dont think he was having a pop at you mate just offering advice. If you got your heart on a subaru as a track car fair one but with a 2k budget it will soon end in tears unless you looking tho spend 2k on a car then transform into a track weapon? There a few clio 172 track cars on ebay that will be more than enough for track use and will be cheap to repair should anything happen body or mechanical. But your money and your choice best of luck either way :thumb:

Sti-outlaw 13 September 2015 05:41 PM

Just looking for a good base with something to build on i have a full workshop to do any work that's needed i'am not to bad with a tool set. Am just looking for advice on which model would be best to look for thanks in advance.

the shreksta 13 September 2015 05:45 PM

For that money it will be a uk2000 turbo or maybe a bug eye wrx

Sti-outlaw 13 September 2015 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by the shreksta (Post 11736345)
For that money it will be a uk2000 turbo or maybe a bug eye wrx

What would you say out the two would i best be looking for ?

the shreksta 13 September 2015 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Sti-outlaw (Post 11736358)
What would you say out the two would i best be looking for ?

Hard to say really as for that money it will be the bottom of the barrel. Uk2000 could be slightly faster but old now,bug eye wrx can be easily mapped to 270bhp on standard turbo.

Which ever you find in the best condition is your answer

Sti-outlaw 13 September 2015 06:37 PM

A think 2000 turbo will be my choice as it's lighter and less needed to get to 330 bhp cheers for the help guys.

the shreksta 13 September 2015 06:38 PM

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Imp...item2ca18542c8

the shreksta 13 September 2015 06:38 PM

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000-SUBAR...item3ab1c18d7c

Chris.air 13 September 2015 07:05 PM

Buying a 2k Subaru you will need to spend at least 3k on it getting it to 330bhp and being reliable for track use. Again not having a go at you or trying to put you off. Just being realistic.
A 2k Subaru will get smoked by clios at the same price ����

matieboy 13 September 2015 07:52 PM

It may seem like people are being a little harsh on you but there not there just being realistic some of us me included have been down the same route and IMO also a 2k Impreza is great for a bit of fun but is not going to make a good track car.
i do all my own mechanical work and have still spent over 2k on wheels tyres brakes and suspension to make my car better suited to the track.

MattyB1983 13 September 2015 10:17 PM

You'll maybe get one track day out of a 2 grand Impreza before it sh1ts it's guts all over the road.
Then it'll be another 2 grand to rebuild it or take a chance on a £500 engine and hope it last you another track day or two.

Take the advice from the people who know fella, it'll save you a fortune.

Sti-outlaw 13 September 2015 10:34 PM

Thanks for the help guy much appreciated am not buying new parts to fit most of the parts will be from the forsale section on here. I will have a nosey about and see what i can get on the forsale sites you never know i might get lucky.

ditchmyster 13 September 2015 10:43 PM

Just don't say we didn't warn you. ;)

Dirk Diggler 75 13 September 2015 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 11736546)
Just don't say we didn't warn you. ;)

Some people just won't be told .......:brickwall

ditchmyster 13 September 2015 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler 75 (Post 11736548)
Some people just won't be told .......:brickwall

Bit harsh mate, you never know, he might be the one in a million. :Suspiciou

:lol1:

Dirk Diggler 75 13 September 2015 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 11736551)
Bit harsh mate, you never know, he might be the one in a million. :Suspiciou

:lol1:

Maybe,but I doub't it ....:thumb:

birchy2010 14 September 2015 06:57 AM

Entry plus running and maintainance on my S2 car is around £500 per event to keep it performing and running well with the entry fee. That's on top of any breakages and work done by my sponsors.

Bit less for my Barrel Sprint at about £300 per event.

JGlanzaV 14 September 2015 07:20 AM

Yep, you wont be out on track for long with a 2k car, I hope you have a trailer to get it to and from events!

My engine is costing 3.5 times what your whole car will cost lol....

b3nmw 14 September 2015 08:34 AM

Think ur asking for problems after a 2k scooby. I bought a type r sti 4.5k 6 years ago, it was dirt cheap but only lasted 3 months. A gd car might cost u less in long run, it might be wiser to budget for more than 2k.

GH80 14 September 2015 01:15 PM

I know this has been talked about to death, but as the traffic is low here might as well ask again...

What does it take to get a tatty classic prepped for some track work on a budget?
I'm guessing:
Baffled sump
10-60w oil
Coolant overhaul
Pads
Tyres

Anything else? I don't really think you need the suspension looked at, might be tired but you're not winning any medals going around 0.6 seconds a lap quicker are you? Same goes power surely?

Also, what makes a more expensive classic any better at surviving a spanking at a track? Surely they will all suffer the same problems?

ditchmyster 14 September 2015 01:33 PM

Decent brakes.
fuel swirl pot
baffled sump or at least a sump baffle plate ( cosworth etc)
oil cooler
parallel fuel rails.

There's a damed sight more that I'd want, but what's the point, there are far more cars better suited to being thrashed around a track for not very much money, that will give you much better service.

You really need a well specced Subaru if you want to give it death on track otherwise you may as well just go and p1ss £2k up the wall with your mates on the town, because you'll have a much better time of it. As we all know these cars are far from cheap to run even more so out on track.

You need deep pockets and £2k ain't gona scratch the surface of what needs to be spent.

So back to top, post number 2. :thumb:

And I'm not being rude to the OP or anyone else for that matter about their finances, but if your trying to do it on a tight budget then a Subaru isn't the car to be trying to do it with.

Ooperbum 14 September 2015 02:49 PM

You wouldn't get a bag of shyte for 2k these days. Save up for a proper car.

Moley 14 September 2015 03:44 PM

You might get a tatty one for £2k, but you will spend that again (probably much more), even with second hand parts, to get it to a basic track setup.

Sti-outlaw 14 September 2015 07:58 PM

There is always someone needing a quick cash sale So it's just a matter of finding it not all impreza's at 2k will be **** heaps. There is no fun in buying a car you can't work on in my opinion.

GH80 14 September 2015 08:31 PM

Tatty MY99 - 2k
Swirl pot with some fuel line - £100
Oil cooler - £200
Grooved discs with hard pads - £250
Tyres - £300
New radiator - £100
Service - £100
Cossie baffle plate - £250

Anything else on my hypothetical list? Puts the budget around £3300

PS - could I track my widetrack or would it need most of the above anyway?

Sti-outlaw 14 September 2015 08:54 PM

There is some amount of negative people about on here I myself like to think positive you could spend grand on a car and it'll still break down so it will be a challenge bring it on.