ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Cut on my thumb not getting chance to heal. (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1029329-cut-on-my-thumb-not-getting-chance-to-heal.html)

alcazar 09 September 2015 11:09 AM

Cut on my thumb not getting chance to heal.

Sliced the tip of my left thumb quite deep last Thursday night chopping onions. It took me quite a while to stop the bleeding, but it eventually stopped.

I removed the temporary dressing, (folded toilet paper and electrician's tape), before going to bed, and used superglue on it to ensure it stayed shut, which it did.

BUT: since the wound has started to dry out, the flap catches and re-opens it, with the resulting pain, but also it ends up bleeding at least four, or five times a day.

It's my left hand, and positioned on my thumb EXACTLY where my left forefinger closes onto it if you do it gently. The result is that almost anything I do opens it.

I really don't want to wear a dressing for the rest of the week, but I superglued it TWICE last night, and this morning have just caught it and pulled it open again, so it's been bleeding again. The superglue seems to have disappeared.

Any (sensible) advice?

brendy76 09 September 2015 11:21 AM

Im no doctor but any time Ive sliced a thumb or finger open, I use tubular gauze bandages, bit like a gauze loo roll that goes over the thumb then twisted at the tip then pulled back down the thumb as this secures it with nothing else required. They have a very small thickness so you dont lose very much feeling or use of the thumb. They get dirty very easily though.

ditchmyster 09 September 2015 12:40 PM

Just chill and do nothing for a couple of days, otherwise knowing your luck we'll be reading about an infected thumb and resultant arm amputation. :lol1:

I managed to whack my fore finger of my right hand in the boot of the car a couple of days ago, had planned to be plastering a wall and tiling the floor, but holding a trowel of any description for a couple of hours over the last few days has not been an option, so I've been forced to catch up with a couple of mates and do nothing but drink their wine. :lol1:

Tidgy 09 September 2015 12:43 PM

go see a proper doctor,,,,

you silly quin,,,, lol

dpb 09 September 2015 01:21 PM

Alcazar is human !!

ALi-B 09 September 2015 01:34 PM

Superglue for skin; it only stings a little ;) :D

alcazar 09 September 2015 01:52 PM

Works to stop bleeding, I've used it again this morning, but just caught the wound again and opened it up again

Rescue Dude 09 September 2015 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11734371)
Works to stop bleeding, I've used it again this morning, but just caught the wound again and opened it up again

Steri strips and a bandage of some sort to cover it up ya gimboid.

PaulC72 09 September 2015 07:58 PM

it's ok the glue will poison you so you wont need to worry about the cut soon :)

Awkward place to cut, something only an amputation will cure.

BLU 09 September 2015 08:03 PM

It needs a dressing that stops you catching it! Annoying but not much else you can do!

daveyj 10 September 2015 02:05 PM

It's surprising just how often you bash the ends of fingers and thumbs on a daily basis. You only notice how much when you chop a tip of one off or cut it, like you have.

Can only suggest glueing again and then bandaging it and securing with medical tape. I cut the thumb part of a latex glove to create a thumb condom when I chopped the tip of mine off at work last year. Worked a treat.

Reef 10 September 2015 02:08 PM

Steri Strips

http://www.allianceonline.co.uk/ster...uHQBoC-sTw_wcB

Worked for me when stanley knifed my thumb!!

alcazar 10 September 2015 03:26 PM

I painted it about every four hours with superglue, which eventually pealed off each time, but it gave the wound time to knit and the flap was hardening, so I cut it off with a pair of nail clippers, which effectively leaves it sore, but NOT catching, so healing better.

Cpt Jack Sparrow 10 September 2015 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11734882)
I painted it about every four hours with superglue, which eventually pealed off each time, but it gave the wound time to knit and the flap was hardening, so I cut it off with a pair of nail clippers, which effectively leaves it sore, but NOT catching, so healing better.

Well done that man, thats my kind of First aid / medical style..... :thumb::thumb:

dpb 10 September 2015 04:14 PM

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...8L._SX466_.jpg

bigredrob 10 September 2015 07:42 PM

I use "super glue", ..or "plastic Skin", my old man was a vet,.....and he used it.....lots....it works,:)

53 10 September 2015 07:50 PM

Doesn't stop the inane typing though :thumb:

BoozyDave 10 September 2015 10:02 PM

superglue holds the skin together, but it doesn't help it heal (it's airtight). so, when the glue comes off the cut it's still open. if you want to use glue, just 'stitch' the cut, the bits in between the glue will heal and knit together, then when the glue comes off the other parts will heal.

alcazar 11 September 2015 11:45 AM

Damned thing has pulled open again this morning, that's eight days!

mrtheedge2u2 11 September 2015 12:06 PM

Put a dressing on it you spaz.

alcazar 11 September 2015 01:07 PM

Going to have to.

ditchmyster 11 September 2015 01:26 PM

8 days and it's STILL pretty much the same as it was on day one. :lol1:

It would have practically healed by now if you'd have taken my advice of a few days back and chilled out and done nothing, instead you've faffed about with it all this time and you're still no further than day one and probably more stressed too. :cuckoo:

You really do yourself no favours, one would have thought you'd have learned by now, especially considering your profession. :lol1: :D

P.S my finger is ok now and I plastered the wall yesterday, just in case you were wondering. :p

53 11 September 2015 01:28 PM

Even your cells are inept :p

alcazar 11 September 2015 01:49 PM

LOL.
What's my profession got to do with it? :confused:

ditchmyster 11 September 2015 06:14 PM

You were in education but don't seemed to have learned much yourself along the way. :lol1:

It's a joke btw. :D

alcazar 11 September 2015 08:45 PM

Oh I see........I thought maybe you thought I'd been in medicine?

Nope, learned nowt.