ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Can't access the bbc ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/1029249-cant-access-the-bbc.html)

farmerwrx 07 September 2015 12:51 PM

Can't access the bbc ?

I have formatted my pc and reinstalled firefox and chrome and everything is as it was except i cannot access any BBC services ( the BBC website,iplayer)etc. The browser says unable to connect in firefox and chrome ? Thanks in advance

JackClark 07 September 2015 01:07 PM

Try changing your DNS to 8.8.8.8 narrows it down.

farmerwrx 07 September 2015 01:36 PM

sorry but i haven't got a clue what you are on about sorry for being thick

JackClark 07 September 2015 04:20 PM

I'm sure a Windows person will be along shortly, I could talk you through in seconds if you were on a Mac.

riiidaa 07 September 2015 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11733474)
Try changing your DNS to 8.8.8.8

JDM_Stig 07 September 2015 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11733557)
I'm sure a Windows person will be along shortly, I could talk you through in seconds if you were on a Mac.

If you dont have the skills or knowledge to help, why even bother posting in the thread . . . . oh yeah.

farmerwrx 07 September 2015 05:54 PM

followed the youtube vid all good but still no BBC ?

JackClark 07 September 2015 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig (Post 11733592)
If you dont have the skills or knowledge to help, why even bother posting in the thread . . . . oh yeah.

Are you ****ing kidding? This thread was dead, I offered SOME help, with a little more knowledge he may have done it himself without me googling "Windows DNS change"

It's probably nothing to do with DNS, I'm sure you'll help find the real issue.

JackClark 07 September 2015 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by farmerwrx (Post 11733596)
followed the youtube vid all good but still no BBC ?

Change it back. Next I'd get to a command line, used to be Start Run... Someone will help if it's not. Then type in tracert bbc.co.uk and press enter. Copy and paste the results here.

ricodjs 08 September 2015 01:03 AM

Issue

Sounds like you may have an issue with your network addressing there alright.
Sometimes the system that translates friendly addresses into numbers (IP/DNS) can get corrupted or go wrong which means that you can't connect.
Bit surprised it's only the BBC which means that your IP address (e.g. a number like 192.168.0.9 - you can find it by opening a command prompt "Start-Run-"Cmd"" and then typing "ipconfig") is working ok.
I would suggest instead that you type
" ipconfig /flushdns " (without the inverted commas) which should hopefully clear out the offending entry.
Make sure you clear out your internet temporary files and restart your browser as well before trying again.
If not that, then you may have something weird/nasty like a poisoned ARP cache or a dodgy "Hosts" file but would be surprised if it were that given the rebuilding you've done.
See how you get on with the above and let us know

farmerwrx 08 September 2015 01:18 AM

all sorted now i formatted again and it's working fine good job i noticed before i loaded everything back on the pc.thanks for the help:thumb:

farmerwrx 10 September 2015 10:56 AM

It's now doing it again this morning on firefox and chrome ? It's doing my nut in please help

JDM_Stig 10 September 2015 11:07 AM

Are you sure it wasn't your isp this morning, seems there are some issues.

farmerwrx 10 September 2015 11:08 AM

i just realised i installed peerblock so i uninstalled it and bbc sites work now ? i have used peerblock for years and never had a problem before

JackClark 10 September 2015 11:59 AM

Good stuff.