ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   iPhone 6 Plus replacement program (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/1029056-iphone-6-plus-replacement-program.html)

JackClark 02 September 2015 01:14 PM

iPhone 6 Plus replacement program

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6plus-isightcamera/

Absolutely nothing wrong with my camera, but as it's eligible I'll swap it for a clean one.

dpb 02 September 2015 01:47 PM

Absolutely fascinating

JackClark 02 September 2015 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11731393)
Absolutely fascinating

Why bother reading let alone commenting.

When I saw the link I clicked it, entered my serial number and was told to go get my shiny phone, someone else might do that and find it useful too.

The Joshua Tree 02 September 2015 01:56 PM

STUNNING!! "Like a young Burt Reynolds."

dpb 02 September 2015 02:07 PM

Before now, by simply remaining a loyal customer , you've been able to exchange your iphone for a new one ( if its got slightly dusty or something ) :wonder:

JackClark 02 September 2015 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11731408)
Before now, by simply remaining a loyal customer , you've been able to exchange your iphone for a new one ( if its got slightly dusty or something ) :wonder:

I think you're trying to say have I been lucky with Apple products before and the answer is yes. I have had a new iPhone, new iPad a new Macbook and now another new iPhone. I'm lucky.

Geezer 02 September 2015 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11731411)
I think you're trying to say have I been lucky with Apple products before and the answer is yes. I have had a new iPhone, new iPad a new Macbook and now another new iPhone. I'm lucky.

Were they all because of other faults? I thought Apple only made perfect products.......

JackClark 02 September 2015 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Geezer (Post 11731429)
Were they all because of other faults? I thought Apple only made perfect products.......

You thought wrong, lots of bugs in the software and lots of Apple products go wrong. It's how these problems are dealt with that Apple do well.

Tidgy 02 September 2015 03:07 PM

Ignoring the apple/samsiung battle.

If it means a free brand new phone then go for it :D

Geezer 02 September 2015 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 11731434)
Ignoring the apple/samsiung battle.

If it means a free brand new phone then go for it :D

I agree, but Apple are not unique in this respect. Nikon replaced D600s with D610s, regardless of whether you had a faulty one or not. In fact, that would be like Apple saying we will replace your 5S with a 6. I couldn't see that happening to be honest (to be fair, I couldn't see most manufacturers doing that!)

brendy76 02 September 2015 05:00 PM

What shiney new phone?

The serial number you entered is eligible for this program. Please choose one of the service options below.
Replacement process
Choose one of the service options below to have your iSight camera replaced.

Your iPhone will be examined prior to any service to verify that it is eligible for this program and in working order.

Apple Authorized Service Provider - Find one here.
Apple Retail Store - Make an appointment here.
Apple Technical Support - Contact us.

JackClark 02 September 2015 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Geezer (Post 11731441)
I agree, but Apple are not unique in this respect. Nikon replaced D600s with D610s, regardless of whether you had a faulty one or not. In fact, that would be like Apple saying we will replace your 5S with a 6. I couldn't see that happening to be honest (to be fair, I couldn't see most manufacturers doing that!)

Nikon are a great company.

JackClark 02 September 2015 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by brendy76 (Post 11731491)
What shiney new phone?

They won't be taking the camera lens out in the store. It will be new or more likely refurbished, which is why I originally said 'Clean'.

brendy76 02 September 2015 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11731502)
They won't be taking the camera lens out in the store. It will be new or more likely refurbished, which is why I originally said 'Clean'.

As far as I am aware and through experience, they do now repair phones in store quoting a 1 hour wait usually.

The Joshua Tree 02 September 2015 05:56 PM

It will be new or more likely refurbished, which is why I originally said 'Clean'.

The problem with refurbs is you don't know how much they have been abused previously as they are basically ex customer phones that have been repaired, the outside might look nice with shiny new parts but more often than not they are well used phones and not new ones. The one your giving apple may have even had less use than the one your getting in return. At least you know the history of yours, a replacement may have been dropped in the bath or down the bog at some point.

JackClark 02 September 2015 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by The Joshua Tree (Post 11731517)
The problem with refurbs is you don't know how much they have been abused previously as they are basically ex customer phones that have been repaired, the outside might look nice with shiny new parts but more often than not they are well used phones and not new ones. The one your giving apple may have even had less use than the one your getting in return. At least you know the history of yours, a replacement may have been dropped in the bath or down the bog at some point.

Although that is somewhat true, the part about water damage is not true at all. Mine would be great for someone else with a new screen, new case, new internals and a ruddy good clean.

LSherratt 02 September 2015 09:44 PM

Not eligible here

JackClark 03 September 2015 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by LSherratt (Post 11731653)
Not eligible here

This should have been the only comment here, ban the trolls :)

urban 03 September 2015 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by brendy76 (Post 11731503)
As far as I am aware and through experience, they do now repair phones in store quoting a 1 hour wait usually.

Actually, slightly off topic a bit, but is that likely to include water damage repair?

JackClark 03 September 2015 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by brendy76 (Post 11731503)

Interesting, I might refuse it if that's the case. My experience has been different but that was the 5s so a while ago.

Cannon Fodder 03 September 2015 05:50 PM

Mine is eligible for a replacement, but getting to the Apple Store in Cardiff is a real ball ache plus then having to wait for a 'genius' to agree with the replacement as well.

Do they transfer over all your data and details onto the replacement handset for you?

brendy76 03 September 2015 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder (Post 11731960)
Mine is eligible for a replacement, but getting to the Apple Store in Cardiff is a real ball ache plus then having to wait for a 'genius' to agree with the replacement as well.

Do they transfer over all your data and details onto the replacement handset for you?

Dont think so, they usually recommend you back everything up to the icloud or pc first, but again, thats only if they are replacing the logics or phone itself.

dpb 03 September 2015 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by LSherratt (Post 11731653)
Not eligible here

Swop it out for a Z5 premium , whilst you still can

hth

Markus 04 September 2015 06:47 PM

They did exactly that to my 6 Plus last week. Had a dark spot (dust) in the camera unit and they replaced the camera in store, took around an hour and half (was a busy period). If something happened to break on the phone while they were repairing it, I expect you'd get a new phone (new = brand new or a refurb). I think they would be well within their rights to refuse to replace the phone when a repair is possible.

As for backup, nope, they don't typically do that, instructions tell you to backup the device before coming in. This is probably in case they do have to restore the device. I was told they would likely restore it, but turns out they didn't need to, or didn't bother.

JackClark 05 September 2015 09:41 AM

It's a way simpler repair than I thought, oh well, I have a week to think about it.

- Remove bottom screws

- Gently lift LCD with suction cup (don't go beyond a 90 degree angle when holding the LCD up)

- Pry between LCD frame and housing to release the LCD

- Remove 5 screws securing metal bracket holding the 4 flex cables

- Gently remove all 4 flex cables from the logic board

- Lift away screen

- Remove 2 screws at side of the camera (left and right)

- Remove metal bracket holding the camera and then the camera.

- Install new camera