ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   The US and guns (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1028807-the-us-and-guns.html)

silver-sub 26 August 2015 02:46 PM

The US and guns

When will they learn.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34062118

JackClark 26 August 2015 03:53 PM

You can't even convince them they don't need an assault rifle let alone a hand gun.

ReallyReallyGoodMeat 26 August 2015 04:24 PM

It's their god given right dammit.

Rescue Dude 26 August 2015 04:51 PM

The nutcase filmed himself doing it!!!!

I could put up the link to the vid but it's very shocking so I won't. :eek:

dpb 26 August 2015 04:54 PM

He wouldnt been able smuggle assault rifle down his trouser though

Rescue Dude 26 August 2015 04:55 PM

He filmed it then uploaded it to his Facebook account!!

What is the world coming to!!? :eek:

silver-sub 26 August 2015 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Rescue Dude (Post 11728798)
He filmed it then uploaded it to his Facebook account!!

Wtf??

JackClark 26 August 2015 05:00 PM

The POV video is harsh. Blimey!!

Rescue Dude 26 August 2015 05:00 PM

Apparently the nutter is a "disgruntled former employee of the tv station".

JackClark 26 August 2015 05:02 PM

Apparently he's shot himself.

Rescue Dude 26 August 2015 05:05 PM

Absolutely shocking.

hotsam 26 August 2015 05:38 PM

It's not just the guns...it's the near total lack of a mental health system.

hodgy0_2 26 August 2015 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by hotsam (Post 11728826)
It's not just the guns...it's the near total lack of a mental health system.

I suspect in reality it is the prison system

the prison population of the US is staggering - a fair few have mental problems

hotsam 26 August 2015 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11728873)
I suspect in reality it is the prison system

the prison population of the US is staggering - a fair few have mental problems

The prison population is the size it is due to mandatory sentencing laws. Basically, if you're arrested with x amount of x drug 3 times, you get a life sentence.

In the early 80s Reagan made drastic cuts in mental health funding. Cuts + over use of presciption drugs + guns everywhere = this.

legb4rsk 26 August 2015 09:59 PM

The U.S. is based on the premise that everyone can be successful & rich.
It's your own fault if you don't achieve & obtain everything you want.

This leads to people feeling abandoned & detached from that society.

Add plenty of guns into that mixture & ...............................

Paben 26 August 2015 10:58 PM

There are hundreds of millions of firearms of every description in public ownership in the US, and many millions of firearms owners. Considering these facts it's perhaps surprising there are not far more atrocities in the US than there are.

Even if registration in the US was agreed (unlikely) it would be next to impossible to keep track of who owned what and then to maintain an accurate record, especially when you include the trading of firearms.

Unfortunately, however draconian the firearms laws in any country they only affect the law abiding majority. By definition criminals ignore the law and will always get their hands on firearms if they want them, even in countries where firearms ownership is strictly controlled (the UK) or completely illegal.

hotsam 27 August 2015 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Paben (Post 11728971)
There are hundreds of millions of firearms of every description in public ownership in the US, and many millions of firearms owners. Considering these facts it's perhaps surprising there are not far more atrocities in the US than there are.

Even if registration in the US was agreed (unlikely) it would be next to impossible to keep track of who owned what and then to maintain an accurate record, especially when you include the trading of firearms.

Unfortunately, however draconian the firearms laws in any country they only affect the law abiding majority. By definition criminals ignore the law and will always get their hands on firearms if they want them, even in countries where firearms ownership is strictly controlled (the UK) or completely illegal.

There are more guns than people. It's a bit too late for gun "control."

Turbohot 27 August 2015 09:52 PM

Yes, even Obama was shot down for just mentioning gun control over there.

LSherratt 27 August 2015 10:23 PM

I think most of you would be surprised at just how many guns are here in the UK, licensed and readily available if you're in the know. Let alone America! ...and I'm not talking shotguns either.

Paben 28 August 2015 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by LSherratt (Post 11729290)
I think most of you would be surprised at just how many guns are here in the UK, licensed and readily available if you're in the know. Let alone America! ...and I'm not talking shotguns either.

Licensed guns and rifles in the UK are not the problem, they are owned by law abiding citizens and there are very few offences committed with them. Even these statistics are distorted since suicides with legally owned firearms are recorded as firearms incidents.

Panicked legislation following several UK firearms atrocities (Hungerford etc) have left loopholes and weak law. For instance it was declared, without consultation, that semi automatic and pump-action shotguns would no longer be legal with 5 cartridge magazines and that they must be reduced to 2 cartridge magazines. The intention was to make these guns two shot only, but completely overlooked that with a round chambered and two in the mag this created three-shot guns; never intended!

Far worse was that at the time this legislation was introduced UK registration of shotguns didn't exist. Because the costs of reducing the magazines from five to two had to be born by the owner, many of these shotguns were hidden away, sold down the pub, given away etc, illegal and untraceable. Commonsense would have had all guns registered first and then the required mods to the magazines made afterwards, when it would have been impossible to dispose of them illegally.

Imagine the fun and games trying to introduce any sort of meaningful legislation in the USA! It's not going to happen.

JackClark 28 August 2015 10:51 AM

They could start by not making any new ones.

Paben 28 August 2015 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11729411)
They could start by not making any new ones.

Very amusing, that's even less likely than legislation. The USA supplies half the world with small arms and ammunition, it's a massive industry that won't be going anywhere.

LSherratt 28 August 2015 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Paben (Post 11729407)
Panicked legislation following several UK firearms atrocities (Hungerford etc) have left loopholes and weak law. For instance it was declared, without consultation, that semi automatic and pump-action shotguns would no longer be legal with 5 cartridge magazines and that they must be reduced to 2 cartridge magazines. The intention was to make these guns two shot only, but completely overlooked that with a round chambered and two in the mag this created three-shot guns; never intended!

It's a very grey area and even some forces don't know all the ins and outs. Shotguns with the capacity to shoot more than 3 cartridges are legal and you can get them on a section 1 Firearms licence. I know as I own one. Unlike pistols that are section 5, this means that they're outright banned in the UK, HOWEVER, you can still legally own a section 5 pistol and get it put on a section 1 Firearms under the condition of humane dispatch. I have a variation for this too. All I'm saying is that there's a lot firearms dealers dealing with these supposedly banned guns in the UK than most people think. Hell, I've got a chap coming to me tomorrow to buy my .410 shot pistol. He sent me a copy of his FAC and he's got all sorts of firearms on there that would make most people wonder why. When I went to buy a pistol last year from a dealer, from the outside it looks just like any normal large house but inside it's an Aladin's cave of exotic firearms- it's all kept pretty hush hush.

Paben 28 August 2015 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by LSherratt (Post 11729416)
It's a very grey area and even some forces don't know all the ins and outs. Shotguns with the capacity to shoot more than 3 cartridges are legal and you can get them on a section 1 Firearms licence. I know as I own one. Unlike pistols that are section 5, this means that they're outright banned in the UK, HOWEVER, you can still legally own a section 5 pistol and get it put on a section 1 Firearms under the condition of humane dispatch. I have a variation for this too. All I'm saying is that there's a lot firearms dealers dealing with these supposedly banned guns in the UK than most people think. Hell, I've got a chap coming to me tomorrow to buy my .410 shot pistol. He sent me a copy of his FAC and he's got all sorts of firearms on there that would make most people wonder why.

All true but essentially these firearms are registered, as are their owners so the ability to use them illegally or dispose of them illegally is severely limited. This does not apply to all those very many five-shot semis and pumps that disappeared underground pre registration.

JackClark 28 August 2015 11:46 AM

I'll take all those underground guns over being mentally ill and able to walk in a store and buy one.

JackClark 28 August 2015 11:49 AM

Turbohot 06 September 2015 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Paben (Post 11729420)
All true but essentially these firearms are registered, as are their owners so the ability to use them illegally or dispose of them illegally is severely limited. This does not apply to all those very many five-shot semis and pumps that disappeared underground pre registration.

Yes, and when random cases like this........
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...-inquest-hears

.........come to light, they sound so horrific to us lot in the UK :(, whereas the U.S. is inundated with gun crime incidences. I haven't looked into the figures, but alcohol fuelled glassing must be more common here in the UK than the gun crime. Cracking pint glasses and Budweiser's bottles on people head, or even stabbing them with broken ones, I mean.

ReallyReallyGoodMeat 08 September 2015 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11729435)

Michael from GTAV! (ironically given how much he loves guns in that)

Markus 09 September 2015 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by ReallyReallyGoodMeat (Post 11733962)
Michael from GTAV! (ironically given how much he loves guns in that)

True irony would be if it was Steven Ogg, aka Trevor from GTA V.

As for the video, it is interesting. I'd like to know how many people still purchased a gun, even after knowing it's history, just so we can compare numbers of who did and did not. Plus the fact is, that the people you *really* want to try and shock are exactly those people who'll buy a gun regardless.

silver-sub 01 October 2015 09:53 PM

Here we go again.
Not good.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34419802