ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   ITG Panel Filter (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/102842-itg-panel-filter.html)

Wuss 07 June 2002 11:08 AM

I am risking ridicule but here goes anyway...

I have an MY00 PPP.

What difference will an ITG Panel Filter make to the power/torque peaks and curves?

Are there any better alternatives?

Thanks from a non-technical person.

brickboy 07 June 2002 11:55 AM

It won't make much difference, if any, to an otherwise standard car -- you may get a slightly better pick-up from low rpm and a bit more turbo / dump valve noise but apart from that, no big differences.

Wuss 07 June 2002 12:15 PM

Thanks mate.

What about full induction kits, etc?

john banks 07 June 2002 12:31 PM

The induction kits put your MAF sensor and hence your engine at risk IMHO.

Wuss 07 June 2002 03:18 PM

John,

What else can I do that will improve on the existing setup and not:

1) Fcuk up the warranty,
2) Endanger the engine,
3) Cause problems with an MOT.

Have I reached the limit without breaking one of the above rules.

john banks 07 June 2002 03:27 PM

Nothing at all if you require to retain all three.

A downpipe would make a massive difference. However, IM are refusing warranty claims if you have one, and there are some recent scares with blue smoke. The reports sound sporadic to me since many have been using downpipes for years without issues.

Wuss 07 June 2002 03:36 PM

Thanks again John!

So as soon as the warranty has expired in <10 months, I'll get myself a downpipe.

One final question, will I have to replce the entire exhaust or is there a downpipe that works well with the Prodrive centre secition and backbox?

Apologies if I'm boring you!

john banks 07 June 2002 03:41 PM

I use an ITG panel having tried a K&N 57i and getting sick of the noise and it lost no performance in the change at all. Most of the downpipes work well with the PPP exhaust bits. Nice quiet combination - I still run this even though it is a bit restrictive. This is the route I went along with a Dawes manual boost controller, but I only had a one year warranty (EU import) - next stage was fit a hybrid TD04, port the original manifold, swear at the terrible up-pipe (but refit it anyway) and sell the PPP to get a Tek 3 (of course I am biased ;) ). Now aftre a play with intercooler water spray, an uprated top mount intercooler is going on. I am trying to stick to the standard clutch so I don't knacker the gearbox (and also drive more sympathetically).

Wuss 07 June 2002 03:48 PM

Think I'll just stick to the downpipe. I'm keen on restricting the 'noise' to agressive acceleration only. I don't want a constant drone while cruising on the motorway.

A downpipe will do for starters!

Thanks again.

Attu 07 June 2002 07:00 PM

Wus I think im right in saying that if youve got a PPP on your car then its already got a ITG Panel Filter ????
Up to my99 Pro-drive put Ram Air filters in but after my99 I think they put ITG Panel Filters in.

Andy

Otis 07 June 2002 08:43 PM

I think after the 'Ramair phase' they left the air filter as per original for the PPP. I certainly haven't heard anything before about Prodrive fitting ITG filters :confused:.

Otis.