ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Holiday desination help (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1028287-holiday-desination-help.html)

stevebt 12 August 2015 09:23 PM

Holiday desination help

Would you believe it Expedia have fecked a 2nd booking up in a year due to flight changes so I have had to cancel my USA trip for Christmas.

I now have to rebook a holiday and I'm looking at two destinations if some one can tell me if they have been to any?

I'm either booking Cancun and staying at the Moon Palace or I'm booking Beijing and staying at the Fairmont Bejing hotel.

I know both are two totally different weather conditions but I look as Bejing as a proper once in a lifetime holiday as I doubt I will go back and Cancun as a nice beach holiday.

I will be booking after the 26th of this month when I stand a chance of getting some cash refunded to my card but I don't know which to book

Cancun 30 degrees and some nice diving or Beijing which is at a bonus minus 10 and some of the best things to see in the world :)

PaulC72 12 August 2015 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by stevebt (Post 11723399)
Would you believe it Expedia have fecked a 2nd booking up in a year due to flight changes so I have had to cancel my USA trip for Christmas.

I now have to rebook a holiday and I'm looking at two destinations if some one can tell me if they have been to any?

I'm either booking Cancun and staying at the Moon Palace or I'm booking Beijing and staying at the Fairmont Bejing hotel.

I know both are two totally different weather conditions but I look as Bejing as a proper once in a lifetime holiday as I doubt I will go back and Cancun as a nice beach holiday.

I will be booking after the 26th of this month when I stand a chance of getting some cash refunded to my card but I don't know which to book

Cancun 30 degrees and some nice diving or Beijing which is at a bonus minus 10 and some of the best things to see in the world :)

Cant help I am afraid but would be interested in how you find China as we plan to go next year :)

dpb 12 August 2015 09:51 PM

Best things to see , other than snow I'm guessing

stevebt 12 August 2015 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by PaulC72 (Post 11723413)
Cant help I am afraid but would be interested in how you find China as we plan to go next year :)

My daughter has it as her top destination to go as she doubts she will ever go unless I take her. The thing that puts me off is having to pay £4k for flights and hotel before I can apply for a visa! As you can't apply for the visa till you have the holiday booked and you can't apply for the visa till 3 months before your trip :(

dpb 12 August 2015 10:03 PM

Anyway its just gone up in flames !

Sad Weevil 12 August 2015 10:21 PM

My advice is don't miss an opportunity to visit Beijing. I spent a week there a couple of years ago, loved every minute, fascinating place. I stayed in a traditional courtyard hotel in a Hutong in Dong Si. I would have stayed longer had I not had to book my journey out of the country in advance.

Dingdongler 12 August 2015 10:25 PM

Never been to China but went to Cancun a few years ago and it was one of my least memorable holidays. It just wasn't particularly interesting , not the sort of holiday we reminiscent about.

Personally I'd pick something in between the two extremes ie Borneo, Malaysia, Cambodia etc. Good weather, interesting culture and language and fantastic food.

stevebt 12 August 2015 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dingdongler (Post 11723443)
Never been to China but went to Cancun a few years ago and it was one of my least memorable holidays. It just wasn't particularly interesting , not the sort of holiday we reminiscent about.

Personally I'd pick something in between the two extremes ie Borneo, Malaysia, Cambodia etc. Good weather, interesting culture and language and fantastic food.

I can't as my Daughter is starting revision for her A levels after Christmas so she doesn't want me booking anything longer than a week away. Cancun is 10hours flight from Manchester and Beijing is 13hours flight from Newcastle. Ideally I want to fly from Newcastle as that's where I live and your other suggestions are big fly times with say two stops and that's something I could do without :)

Dingdongler 13 August 2015 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by stevebt (Post 11723446)
I can't as my Daughter is starting revision for her A levels after Christmas so she doesn't want me booking anything longer than a week away. Cancun is 10hours flight from Manchester and Beijing is 13hours flight from Newcastle. Ideally I want to fly from Newcastle as that's where I live and your other suggestions are big fly times with say two stops and that's something I could do without :)

Fair enough, I'm sure Beijing is fascinating. Not sure I'd want to spend my hols in freezing temps though!:)

Peedee 13 August 2015 07:42 AM

Why not stick with your original plan of the U.S?

mrtheedge2u2 13 August 2015 09:40 AM

Cancun is ok to fly into, just not to stay in. Playa del Carmen (Playacar) is better (I used to live there). That way places like Cozumel, Xpu Ha, Xcaret and Tulum are not too far away.

Dingdongler 13 August 2015 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by mrtheedge2u2 (Post 11723527)
Cancun is ok to fly into, just not to stay in. Playa del Carmen (Playacar) is better (I used to live there). That way places like Cozumel, Xpu Ha, Xcaret and Tulum are not too far away.

Xcaret is an overcrowded tourist dump and Tulum is ok but nothing special imho.

I never got as far as Chicken Pizza though.:)

stevebt 13 August 2015 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Peedee (Post 11723493)
Why not stick with your original plan of the U.S?

Cause I will probably save myself £3k spending money if I go somewhere else :D

scoobyboy1 13 August 2015 06:12 PM

Going to Cancun is like going to the USA, doesn't feel like Mexico one little bit, Loads of Americans there, same as there fast food restaurants, doesn't really give you that Mexican experience unless you leave Cancun itself.
But perfect if you want to hit the bars/nightlife, and sunbath on the beech all day if that's your thing, but if you like traveling and seeing the real Mexico then I would choose somewhere else!!!:thumb:

PaulC72 13 August 2015 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by stevebt (Post 11723418)
My daughter has it as her top destination to go as she doubts she will ever go unless I take her. The thing that puts me off is having to pay £4k for flights and hotel before I can apply for a visa! As you can't apply for the visa till you have the holiday booked and you can't apply for the visa till 3 months before your trip :(

I guess it all depends on how long you want to go for and what you want to do, our first trip planned next year is about 8-10 days seeing the main sights and is only estimated at costing £1800 each including flights with Virgin.

stevebt 14 August 2015 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by PaulC72 (Post 11723821)
I guess it all depends on how long you want to go for and what you want to do, our first trip planned next year is about 8-10 days seeing the main sights and is only estimated at costing £1800 each including flights with Virgin.

Is that to China? I think the price is pretty good for what I looked at as its a connection from Newcastle flying with either KLM or Air France and for 8 days staying at the Fairmont hotel its £3600 then another £300 for Visas which I think is a good price. It can be had with cheaper hotels but I wouldn't want that.

PaulC72 14 August 2015 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by stevebt (Post 11724068)
Is that to China? I think the price is pretty good for what I looked at as its a connection from Newcastle flying with either KLM or Air France and for 8 days staying at the Fairmont hotel its £3600 then another £300 for Visas which I think is a good price. It can be had with cheaper hotels but I wouldn't want that.

Try this link:

http://www.virginholidays.co.uk/dest...f-china#tables

It's a set tour which we are planing on doing next year - it flies from London but I am sure they do other airports too - you can drop them an enquiry via the website and they respond pretty quick.

The only difference I am guessing is this is direct and you don't get to pick a posh hotel ;-)

HTH.

stevebt 14 August 2015 06:51 PM

They don't do anything for my timescale in December, I also noticed they don't get the visa for you so make sure you contact the Chinese embassy and sort one out for yourself :)

PaulC72 14 August 2015 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by stevebt (Post 11724124)
They don't do anything for my timescale in December, I also noticed they don't get the visa for you so make sure you contact the Chinese embassy and sort one out for yourself :)

:thumb:

The other option is speaking to people like trailblazers et al who will do you a tailored holiday which can also be tour like.

Travelbag did one for us too it was circa 2400 each.