ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Ditching landline and Broadband for (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1027770-ditching-landline-and-broadband-for.html)

andy97 30 July 2015 04:21 PM

Ditching landline and Broadband for

4G data package sim

My router will accept a 4G dongle, with EE confirming 4G in my location. I can get a much higher speed and less money £20/month as opposed £28 for BT.

Plus no more telephone cold calling which takes up more than 90% of our calls :luxhello:

Any downsides?

dpb 30 July 2015 04:22 PM

Alright of its reliable I suppose

And unlimited

wayne9t9 30 July 2015 04:24 PM

Only if its capped.

andy97 30 July 2015 04:33 PM

I can get 15GB per month on a rolling 30 day contract. I was going to run them in parallel for a month to ensure it was reliable and we didn't exceed allowance, but given its only 30 days I could always upgrade allowance or even downgrade-doubt it

wayne9t9 30 July 2015 05:23 PM

Not going to be downloading any large files then. Just using general internet stuff you might be surprised how much bandwidth you suck up over a month.

ALi-B 30 July 2015 07:48 PM

We did similar in spain.

Although its via point to multipoint WiFi to a nearby mast.

Voice calls now come via VOIP, so no need for a landline.

To think, I used to have a "unlimited" 3G contact in the UK...and I ditched it so I could get a better phone; Admittedly a Samsung Tocco was probably the most useless phone for anything internet related.

ditchmyster 31 July 2015 08:56 AM

I have mobile internet out here in Croatia only 5GB at the fastest speed then it slows down a bit but the price goes mental after that, used 10GB one month watching BBC iplayer went from £8 to almost £60 :cuckoo: lesson learnt, they'll not have me like that again.

Tidgy 31 July 2015 08:57 AM

capped download limits,,,,, o dear,,,, lol

i smashed 90gb last week haha

ditchmyster 31 July 2015 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 11718231)
capped download limits,,,,, o dear,,,, lol

i smashed 90gb last week haha

My problem is that's the most they'll let you have, and now I know why, it's so they can cane the arse off you if you go over, no other reason as the quality/speed didn't drop off like it has done in the past, which is normally how I know I'm over my quota, so there's me thinking it's all good until the bill landed, sneaky fcukers.

neil-h 31 July 2015 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 11718228)
used 10GB one month watching BBC iplayer went from £8 to almost £60 :cuckoo: lesson learnt, they'll not have me like that again.

You really want to watch out for this. I was watching the first series of Falling Skies through Sky Box Sets and made it half way through before spotting the box that says each episode in HD is 1.3GB worth. So you can munch through a hell of a lot of data really quickly if you're not paying attention.

ditchmyster 31 July 2015 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by neil-h (Post 11718242)
You really want to watch out for this. I was watching the first series of Falling Skies through Sky Box Sets and made it half way through before spotting the box that says each episode in HD is 1.3GB worth. So you can munch through a hell of a lot of data really quickly if you're not paying attention.

You're not kidding, :lol1: there I was thinking what a clever d1ck I was watching all sorts of UK tv via Zenmate who also want money now the free month is over :nono: only to discover I was being teased and greased up on the sly, then before I knew something was amiss I was swiftly awoken by a jolly good rogering. :cry:

As the saying goes, if it seems too good to be true, then it probably isn't. :(

andy97 31 July 2015 10:41 AM

Just did a quick calc. on data usage, wife watches loads of netflix series at 650mb to 1.5gb per programme, kids gaming, then general browsing. I woud exceed the 4G allocation in about 5 days if not less :(

Not worth using 4G until it becomes truly unlimited across the UK!