ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Cloud Storage (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/1027725-cloud-storage.html)

andy97 29 July 2015 01:26 PM

Cloud Storage

My Dropbox free allocation that came with my Samsung is coming to an end next month. Over the last 2 years I hadn't realised that we as a family had gathered so many photos.

I am not averse to paying for storage but wanted to explore what other options are out there which offer more storage and cheaper in cost if I need to pay, or should I just buy an external drive and manually back up photos etc.

mystery_machine 29 July 2015 03:07 PM

flickr gives 1tb for free... but that is just photos.

stiscooby 29 July 2015 09:52 PM

You could get a NAS device and create your own cloud.

That's assuming you don't mind stuff being stored in the house, in the event of a fire etc.

Graz 30 July 2015 09:50 AM

My photos are on Google Drive. Seemed reasonable value for money.

tarmac terror 30 July 2015 09:20 PM

spideroak if privacy is important to you - it doesn't care what file formats you are uploading.

Littleted 31 July 2015 12:35 PM

dropbox just pay it is the best, even Livedrive is slower... It just works across everything which you've probably found...

An0n0m0us 31 July 2015 10:13 PM

Microsoft's inbuilt OneDrive is excellent and what I now use. As a long term hotmail user i've 40gb free. Also use the 2 step verification and the mobile authentication app and you can lock it right down - the mobile app is great when you go to access OneDrive on a new machine an authorisation request pops up on the phone app so you can make sure it's only you accessing it.

I used to use Dropbox but find OneDrive being built into the OS is now better.

jonc 01 August 2015 11:41 PM

If you fancy a Galaxy S6, you get 100GB on OneDrive. :thumb: I think there was a promotion for dropbox users to get 100GB to move over to OneDrive, not sure if this is still running/

Flight 02 August 2015 07:57 AM

I've got Bittorrent Sync running on my Ubuntu Server. It means I can sync lot of stuff everywhere for free.

Mega also works well and you can sync 50GB free.

andy97 02 August 2015 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by jonc (Post 11718884)
If you fancy a Galaxy S6, you get 100GB on OneDrive. :thumb: I think there was a promotion for dropbox users to get 100GB to move over to OneDrive, not sure if this is still running/

Generally these are limited to two years. But seen as I am looking for a new phone in the next few months it might be worth it ( not financially) for convenience

An0n0m0us 02 August 2015 10:15 PM

I've got Mega too and recommend them on the basis of the encryption however i'm reluctant to trust anything long term backed by kimdotcom.

JackClark 03 August 2015 12:43 AM

You need to keep up, Kim Dotcom is no longer in control of Mega, hostile takeover then somewhat seized.

An0n0m0us 03 August 2015 11:09 PM

No I don't need to keep up, my hunch was right. Not to have been trusted which is why I never put anything of value on my 50gb storage.

And I said backed by him, nowhere did I suggest he controlled the company. He was a cofounder and that alone made me think twice about trusting it.

https://torrentfreak.com/kim-dotcom-...claims-150731/

andy97 07 August 2015 02:44 PM

Decided to get sd memory card 128GB for my phone, then use batch downloaded app to copy all my Dropbox files. I will then make multiple copies for security. I still have 50 days before dropbox reduces my limit to 2GB. By then I will have tested and backed up all my media, so then can delete dropbox files

JackClark 07 August 2015 07:53 PM

I have 50gig on Box.com never used it, app seems alright, maybe they have a deal.

andy97 08 August 2015 10:01 AM

I can't believe you can get 128gb of storage on a something the size of my small finger nail. Next job to convert all of itunes to mp3 format, plug portable hard drive into back car system. Scrap itunes :)