ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   BMW 335i forums (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/1027611-bmw-335i-forums.html)

leonpoole 26 July 2015 03:12 PM

BMW 335i forums

Does anyone know any good UK BMW forums?
All the ones I can find seem to be American.

Matteeboy 26 July 2015 03:22 PM

Current F30 model or E90 (last shape)?
E90post.com has a very lively UK section although it's gone a bit chavvy now they are so affordable.
Anything you need to know in particular? I'm fairly up on them.

theboy 26 July 2015 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 11716003)
E90post.com has a very lively UK section although it's gone a bit chavvy now they are so affordable.

Yes are they fast enough to cause me issues :lol1:

the shreksta 26 July 2015 07:30 PM

I believe they have issues with the fuel pumps (turbo models) a friend of mine had his replaced under warranty and it packed up within a year

Matteeboy 26 July 2015 09:01 PM

Yep, the N54 engine (in the E90 335i, the E60 535i, the 1M and the current Z4 35is) did have High Pressure Fuel Pump (usually HPFP) issues.

The N55 (run out E90 335is, current 335is and a tuned up version in my car) has been fine so far. Oh no it hasn't - mine is having a recall new fuel pump on Thursday - DOH!!

N54 is bi-turbo, N55 is a variable vane/twin scroll single turbo.

Uncle Creepy 27 July 2015 12:07 AM

ALi-B 27 July 2015 04:53 PM

HPFP failure the bain of direct injected petrols.

Diesels used to have this problem - mainly with inadequate surface hardening of the moving parts (Mainly Delphi based pumps, but have seem plenty of Bosch units fail too), however they all mostly sorted that about ten years ago...petrol direct injection still has to the overcome long-term reliability hurdles that common-rail diesel fuel systems have mostly ironed out (just a pity the emissions control has provided another hurdle).

As for the OP...dunno. We may have to rename Scoobynet to Beamernet :lol1:

Matteeboy 27 July 2015 05:37 PM

Ali - I thought the N55 was better but the fuel pump recall I'm having done on Thursday suggests not. They've redesigned it though so hopefully it'll be okay.

The car is good enough for me to overlook it but I'm still trying to rinse BMW for the hassle caused.

john banks 27 July 2015 05:39 PM

On the bright side, direct injection petrol is also about performance as well as emissions, so your inconvenience is not just for ecomentalism.

In terms of chavvy, I've looked for an N54 engined car to drift, diff welded up, manual :D Preferably a pre-crashed one with knackered expensive airbags and xenons but all the important stuff working. Ended up with S54 instead, I've become good at refitting the bumpers to that :eek:

leonpoole 27 July 2015 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 11716003)

It's an E92 N54, I've owned it for just over 4 and a half years now and was thinking of trading it in.
Obviously I'm a bit bored of it now but there's nothing I really want to replace it with. It's been a cracking car so I might as well keep it and make it feel fast again.
I just wanted to know the best way to get a bit more power out of it really. Everywhere I look it's all American stuff JB4, meth injection etc, that's not the route I want to take.
I was just thinking intercooler, a remap and maybe a de-cat but don't know any respected companies to get to do the work.
I've been lucky with mine and not had to spend anything other than wear and tear and expensive services, although that could change once I start tuning it.

Matteeboy 27 July 2015 09:45 PM

Definitely try E90Post; the N54 is more tuneable than the N55; many have got well over 400bhp.

RS Grant 28 July 2015 12:38 AM

If I can offer any advice based on my own woeful 'tuned' 335i experience, then it would be to stay as far away from Birds Garage as you possibly can. After 12 months of dealing with them, I have absolutely no idea how they've earnt the good reputation they appear to have.

Fit a JB4, Wagner Intercooler, Catless Downpipes and the car will feel far more alive... although you might well need to do something about the suspension/open diff as well if you want to use the new power fully.

Cheers,
Grant

Evolution Stu 18 August 2015 11:33 PM

Decats - FMIC - Freeflow air filters and a remap = 430ftlb and 400bhp on these and with that conversion they are a nice fast car.

chocolate_o_brian 19 August 2015 03:54 PM

To be honest I've not really used forums much and I've had my 330d for 13 months now. Sent Ali "the encyclopaedia" B. a couple PM's regards issues on here but aside from that, Google.

For the record, that RAC warranty people said wasn't worth the paper it was printed on, has just coughed up £2,200 on top of the £620 from a few months back :lol1: Not bad for £399 and a couple arguments on the phone :D

leonpoole 19 August 2015 04:44 PM

400bhp will do me nicely. All with bolt on parts too :thumb:
Time to get searching the net.