ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Adobe Flash Player considered dangerous (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/1027187-adobe-flash-player-considered-dangerous.html)

Paben 15 July 2015 07:08 PM

Adobe Flash Player considered dangerous

Mozilla Firefox (and FB) has given Adobe Flash Player the big thumbs down as it is apparently a conduit for cyber criminals to take over personal computers, with everything that can lead to. I've uninstalled mine and now many sites and videos are unusable. I wonder what happens now? :wonder:

JackClark 15 July 2015 10:04 PM

Everyone in Computer Related took my advice 8 years ago, we're all safe ;)

dpb 15 July 2015 10:17 PM

Smells deeply of conspiracy imo...

Proof it were needed, jacks been ranting for years on the subject

Dingdongler 16 July 2015 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11711498)
Everyone in Computer Related took my advice 8 years ago, we're all safe ;)

Jack, what was the advice?

steve05wrx 16 July 2015 06:35 AM

Hi,
If you all remember - a certain Steve Jobs would not allow Flash on iPads and iPhones because he considered it to be very sloppy coding!
Cheers
Steve

Paben 16 July 2015 08:30 AM

This may be the case, Flash is ditched, but is there an alternative or do many games sites and videos now become unusable?

Tidgy 16 July 2015 08:46 AM

Flash is getting pretty old now so either needs a full rewrite or sacking.

Given how ingrained it is with websites and such, not sure how easy it would be to sack.

Tidgy 16 July 2015 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11711506)
Smells deeply of conspiracy imo...

Proof it were needed, jacks been ranting for years on the subject

Things have moved on a long way since Jobs fell out with the CEO flash, Jobs blamed flash for stability issues, flash blamed IOS. Given apple has now proven it can get virus's, which they said couldn't happen and flash has proven to have flaws seems to be 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

JackClark 16 July 2015 08:58 AM

Flash was never used on an iPad so how you can say there were stability issues I don't know, you're making it up basically.

Try using an iPad, everything works apart from the malware. Remove it from your PC and try living without it, Youtube you will have to tell to use HTML 5 www.youtube.com/html5

JackClark 16 July 2015 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Paben (Post 11711600)
This may be the case, Flash is ditched, but is there an alternative or do many games sites and videos now become unusable?

The majority of browsing is from Mobile devices, if sites don't work on Mobile they won't last long, Flash doesn't work on Mobile, Apple never bothered, some Androids said they could use it, sold some phones on the back of it, then dumped it.

Tidgy 16 July 2015 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11711621)
Flash was never used on an iPad so how you can say there were stability issues I don't know, you're making it up basically.

Try using an iPad, everything works apart from the malware. Remove it from your PC and try living without it, Youtube you will have to tell to use HTML 5 www.youtube.com/html5

I didn't, Steve Jobs did hahahaha

ditchmyster 16 July 2015 11:01 AM

Sorted.

Thanks again Jack, top man. :thumb:

JackClark 16 July 2015 02:02 PM

If you really find you can't live without it then I have had a plugin called Click to Flash it was on the mac but probably similar is available for windows, worked well as it loaded flash when you clicked on the flash content.

JackClark 16 July 2015 02:10 PM

Java runtime should be next on your list, bloody awful as well, I have to have it on one machine and despise it.

SwissTony 16 July 2015 02:18 PM

Adobe Flash Player considered dangerous

Ironic that a man who resisted the call to dump Flash now works for apple :)

Hate the bloody product always have done and agree that Java is just a big pita as flash and add ****ing silver light to that list

Feel for the people like me that have to use Java applets for remote portals , logmein etc on a daily basis

JackClark 16 July 2015 04:09 PM

I'm down to one now Ubiquiti Networks Unifi great kit and management software... but java!!