ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   8 weeks off for school teachers!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1027149-8-weeks-off-for-school-teachers.html)

Felix. 14 July 2015 04:57 PM

8 weeks off for school teachers!!

How come the last 2 weeks of summer term at school is filled with nothing other than watching films, playing games and generally messing about!!

And if you try and take your children out of school for a holiday during this time - they give you a resounding no!!

:mad:

hodgy0_2 14 July 2015 05:22 PM

if it is in a C of E school don't ask for permission

do it

then ask for forgiveness

tell them JT said so :-)

Dirk Diggler 75 14 July 2015 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Felix. (Post 11710735)
How come the last 2 weeks of summer term at school is filled with nothing other than watching films, playing games and generally messing about!!

And if you try and take your children out of school for a holiday during this time - they give you a resounding no!!

They still moan there underpaid ......:brickwall

JTaylor 14 July 2015 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11710751)
if it is in a C of E school don't ask for permission

do it

then ask for forgiveness

tell them JT said so :-)

:razz:

neil-h 14 July 2015 06:00 PM

Is it that time of year already? Doesn't time fly when you're having fun. :thumb:

nik52wrx 14 July 2015 06:14 PM

It's also ok for the teachers to take kids skiing for a week during term time, but that's educational :Whatever_

zip106 14 July 2015 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler 75 (Post 11710756)
They still moan there underpaid ......:brickwall

Your English teacher must've always been on holiday :D

Maz 14 July 2015 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by zip106 (Post 11710857)

Must of. :D

Dirk Diggler 75 14 July 2015 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by zip106 (Post 11710857)

No,not on holiday just wank ........:thumb:

zip106 14 July 2015 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 11710879)
Must of. :D

:nono:

That's not correct grammar...

Maz 14 July 2015 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by zip106 (Post 11710898)
:nono:

That's not correct grammar...

Didn't you study irony? :D

zip106 14 July 2015 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 11710932)
Didn't you study irony? :D

I have American blood in me.... :lol1:

Matteeboy 14 July 2015 10:29 PM

Both my sisters, my brother in law and my cousin are teachers.

They moan a lot too.

Maz 14 July 2015 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by zip106 (Post 11710944)
I have American blood in me.... :lol1:

Excused! :D

nivek4209 15 July 2015 12:55 AM

They get 12 weeks in secondary schools here in Ireland
9 in primary

kevo10 15 July 2015 07:31 AM

Theres a lot ofpreparation needed when pupils moved up a class or move schools

alcazar 15 July 2015 08:49 AM

AFAIK, it doesn't happen in secondaries.

Littleted 15 July 2015 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Felix. (Post 11710735)

Every school will always say no its protocol im told.

Proper course of actions is as follows

First ask in written format that you want to take kid out of school in term time
wait for rejection letter
take kid out of school for the holiday but make sure you notify school in writing that they will not be on for XX weeks

Ive done it and i never get fined....

Its when you just take em out and do nothing to ask or let the school know youll get nailed ..

Some school don't give a fack though... my littleuns 7 so apart from egg boxes and fairy liquid making, she aint missing much.

not like a 14 year old and exams..

ditchmyster 15 July 2015 11:08 AM

Sounds like sour grapes, because you joined the wrong profession. :lol1:

Teachers don't actually have the same amount of time off as the children, my wife works in HE and struggles to get 2 consecutive weeks off in the summer, let alone all the rest of the holidays, with constant meetings and organising everything for the new term.

One of our friends teaches at school and she's always sat marking evenings and weekends on a regular basis, she's also a single mum so has to do this around looking after her own two kids.

Not all that glitters is gold.

alcazar 15 July 2015 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Littleted (Post 11711123)
Every school will always say no its protocol im told.

Proper course of actions is as follows

First ask in written format that you want to take kid out of school in term time
wait for rejection letter
take kid out of school for the holiday but make sure you notify school in writing that they will not be on for XX weeks

Ive done it and i never get fined....

Its when you just take em out and do nothing to ask or let the school know youll get nailed ..

Some school don't give a fack though... my littleuns 7 so apart from egg boxes and fairy liquid making, she aint missing much.

not like a 14 year old and exams..

You'd be fined in N.Lincs.

kevo10 15 July 2015 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 11711143)

Teachers don't actually have the same amount of time off as the children, my wife works in HE and struggles to get 2 consecutive weeks off in the summer, let alone all the rest of the holidays, with constant meetings and organising everything for the new term.

One of our friends teaches at school and she's always sat marking evenings and weekends on a regular basis, she's also a single mum so has to do this around looking after her own two kids.

Quite so. Same at our establishment. The staff, not just teachers, do work some hours. Often , staff start arriving approx at 7.30 and still there at 5.30 and ,as mentioned , are forever snowed under with paperwork to take home. I wouldnt want that ,apart from being with 30 kids round me. Dont get me wrong, i love kids,and we were all one once, but all day , every day ? no thanks

LSherratt 15 July 2015 01:54 PM

My girlfriend is a teacher and I always wind her up by telling her that there's another "teacher thread" on NSR :lol1:.

Matteeboy 15 July 2015 01:57 PM

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/s...-2014071088471

Felix. 15 July 2015 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by kevo10 (Post 11711187)
Quite so. Same at our establishment. The staff, not just teachers, do work some hours. Often , staff start arriving approx at 7.30 and still there at 5.30 and ,as mentioned , are forever snowed under with paperwork to take home. I wouldnt want that ,apart from being with 30 kids round me. Dont get me wrong, i love kids,and we were all one once, but all day , every day ? no thanks

That's a normal shift - i do a 7:00 - 17:00 shift on days. And if they are that snowed under, how come all the teachers are watching DVD's with the kids? Why not use this time to 'catch up' with paperwork?

Another thing the gets my goat - uniform change. They have just changed their uniform last year, but now as they are an 'academy' school now, they have decided to change it again. And that's new sports stuff, blazers etc etc for 2 pupils in my case. The blazers alone are £40 each!! - and then they need to be embroided with the school logo... :mad: :mad:

Felix. 15 July 2015 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 11711249)

lol

Are we OK to criticise the teachers who are having sexual relationships with pupils though

Felix. 15 July 2015 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 11711143)

The school next to us is deserted in the holidays. I can't take 2 weeks off either between July and September as we are restricted to one set off during this time.

Also, my 2 at the secondary school are constantly having 'supply' teachers during term times as their actual teachers are off. At parent evenings, you will find at least one supply teacher who has been with them for a week or so to cover holidays.

ditchmyster 15 July 2015 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Felix. (Post 11711308)
The school next to us is deserted in the holidays. I can't take 2 weeks off either between July and September as we are restricted to one set off during this time.

Also, my 2 at the secondary school are constantly having 'supply' teachers during term times as their actual teachers are off. At parent evenings, you will find at least one supply teacher who has been with them for a week or so to cover holidays.

Don't get me started on uniforms, the rate my boy is growing he needs 2 a year as it is and about 4 pairs of shoes. :lol1:

And what's with all the different tops blazer and fleece jacket, hat, bags and now ties all only available from one place.:mad:

BLU 15 July 2015 04:55 PM

Those who dig at teachers obviously don't know what goes on in the background that isn't seen! Of course teachers only work 9-3 and have the same holidays as the kids :Whatever_

alcazar 15 July 2015 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Felix. (Post 11711302)
That's a normal shift - i do a 7:00 - 17:00 shift on days. And if they are that snowed under, how come all the teachers are watching DVD's with the kids? Why not use this time to 'catch up' with paperwork?

They probably are, but need to be present to maintain order.

Originally Posted by Felix. (Post 11711302)
Another thing the gets my goat - uniform change. They have just changed their uniform last year, but now as they are an 'academy' school now, they have decided to change it again. And that's new sports stuff, blazers etc etc for 2 pupils in my case. The blazers alone are £40 each!! - and then they need to be embroided with the school logo... :mad: :mad:

The teachers will have had no say. The Academy will have decided...and for some reason, we in the UK think a school uniform is important.

alcazar 15 July 2015 05:37 PM

My wife is a serving headteacher, primary. She takes her laptop with her on holiday wherever and wherever she goes, and is constantly called up by staff during holidays.

NOT to cover holidays. No teacher can have time off, in term time, for a holiday. It will be to cover for sickness.

And go on and tell me what use all these long holidays are, when any teacher going away will be faced with top prices....no holidays in term time for them, EVER!