ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Stop giving your life to Jesus! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1026662-stop-giving-your-life-to-jesus.html)

urban 03 July 2015 12:04 PM

Maybe he'll create another big disaster to show us how much he loves us

Maz 03 July 2015 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by urban (Post 11705824)
Maybe he'll create another big disaster to show us how much he loves us

He already has, it's called humanity.

hodgy0_2 03 July 2015 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by JTaylor (Post 11705815)
It certainly has some of the answers.

to the question posed - "what are we without it"

I am afraid it has all of it, it explains the belief/faith in the supernatural in human development very well

the theory of Evolution by Natural Selection - is quite simply one of the most beautiful and simple scientific theories of all time.

JTaylor 03 July 2015 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 11705827)
He already has, it's called humanity.

Man's disobedience is disastrous.

JTaylor 03 July 2015 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11705829)
to the question posed - "what are we without it"

I am afraid it has all of it, it explains the belief/faith in the supernatural in human development very well

Would you prefer humanity to evolve towards a Christ-like consciousness or devolve toward that of the animal? If we're talking archetypes, who should we look to emulate? Additionally, where has social Darwinism got us?!

You and I seem to be engaging in a 'might is right' reversal of positions. We're both cherry-picking.

the theory of Evolution by Natural Selection - is quite simply one of the most beautiful and simple scientific theories of all time.
Agreed.

yabbadoo4 03 July 2015 12:40 PM

hodgy0_2 03 July 2015 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by JTaylor (Post 11705836)
Would you prefer humanity to evolve towards a Christ-like consciousness or devolve toward that of the animal? If we're talking archetypes, who should we look to emulate? Additionally, where has social Darwinism got us?!

You and I seem to be engaging in a 'might is right' reversal of positions. We're both cherry-picking.

Agreed.

lol, don't try and taint me with "Social Darwinism", that concept has nothing to do with the theory of Evolution

and is often a tactic used by "deniers"

The Trooper 1815 03 July 2015 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by JTaylor (Post 11705834)
Man's disobedience is disastrous.

To what?

The Trooper 1815 03 July 2015 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by JTaylor (Post 11705836)

Agreed.

FFS we are animals, high thinking (in most cases, but SN proves otherwise sometimes), evil, vindictive and every other emotion.

With an ability to free think and not be lead by some undefined deity put about by people who cannot explain evolution.

The Trooper 1815 03 July 2015 01:55 PM

While we are on the subject, why do we refer to god's as "he" ?

JTaylor 03 July 2015 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11705850)
lol, don't try and taint me with "Social Darwinism", that concept has nothing to do with the theory of Evolution

I'm not trying to taint you, apologies if that's how it came across. Nonetheless, whether it be eugenics or greed is good or survival of the fittest or übermensch, humanity, as far as I'm concerned, without Christ as the moral compass, is heading toward a materialist dystopia governed by the law of the jungle. My goodness, just look around you!

and is often a tactic used by "deniers"
Maybe, but I don't deny evolution.

JTaylor 03 July 2015 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815 (Post 11705853)
To what?

Disobedience to God.

Mick 03 July 2015 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by JTaylor (Post 11705737)
Are there any Christians on S'net? I can't be the only one!

Yes :-)

Rescue Dude 03 July 2015 02:03 PM

I find the religious arguments about whose imaginary friend is the most powerful, hilarious.

Atheist and proud.

The Trooper 1815 03 July 2015 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by JTaylor (Post 11705863)
Disobedience to God.

Which is what?

JTaylor 03 July 2015 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815 (Post 11705855)
FFS we are animals, high thinking (in most cases, but SN proves otherwise sometimes), evil, vindictive and every other emotion.

Yes, and we're to battle those dark traits and the way to life is through Jesus.

With an ability to free think and not be lead by some undefined deity put about by people who cannot explain evolution.
Yes, we have free will. Look at the state of us!

JTaylor 03 July 2015 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815 (Post 11705859)

Because we can only know the character of God the Father through His Son: Jesus Christ. Jesus was a man and the incarnation of God and such God is a man.

JTaylor 03 July 2015 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815 (Post 11705868)
Which is what?

Are you asking me to define disobedience, God or both?

Jonnys3 03 July 2015 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815 (Post 11705859)

'He' is used to refer to a male ...

Genesis 1:27 "God created man in his own image"; because man is a likeness of God's image, it would suggest God is He.

JTaylor 03 July 2015 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 11705866)
Yes :-)

Brother! :thumb:

Turbohot 03 July 2015 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jonnys3 (Post 11705879)
'He' is used to refer to a male ...

Genesis 1:27 "God created man in his own image"; because man is a likeness of God's image, it would suggest God is He.

Who created, women, then? Who do have the likeness with? :confused: I need to know. :mad:

warrenm2 03 July 2015 04:40 PM

And lets face it, if God were a woman then sperm would taste of chocolate....

JTaylor 03 July 2015 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Turbohot (Post 11705928)
Who created, women, then? Who do have the likeness with? :confused: I need to know. :mad:

Genesis 2:22

It's to be read allegorically; I'm sure some of my brothers and sisters will interpret it literally, but I find that position deeply untenable.

hodgy0_2 03 July 2015 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by JTaylor (Post 11705861)
is heading toward a materialist dystopia governed by the law of the jungle. My goodness, just look around you!

I am afraid at the risk of repeating myself, the issue of stopping humanity heading to a dystopia ruled by the law of the jungle is very simple and rather mundane

it is to address poverty and inequality, the lack of education and ignorance and the sense of powerlessness over ones lives

simple really

and ironic (but not surprising) is that where religion is involved you get ALL of the above - in spades

Turbohot 03 July 2015 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by JTaylor (Post 11705933)

It's to be read allegorically; I'm sure some of my brothers and sisters will interpret it literally, but I find that position deeply untenable.

Forget about your brothers and sisters, how do you explain it allegorically? Please tell, I'm all ears. <pulls up a chair>

Turbohot 03 July 2015 04:56 PM

Make anything up, come on! I'm getting impatient. :mad:

Rescue Dude 03 July 2015 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by JTaylor (Post 11705933)

ahhhh I see. The Bible is a bit like the pick and mix counter at the sweetshop? You only believe in the bits you want to. :thumb:

JTaylor 03 July 2015 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11705935)
I am afraid at the risk of repeating myself, the issue of stopping humanity heading to a dystopia ruled by the law of the jungle is very simple and rather mundane

it is to address poverty and inequality, the lack of education and ignorance and the sense of powerlessness over ones lives

simple really

and ironic (but not surprising) is that where religion is involved you get ALL of the above - in spades

You believe humans can achieve this without God, I don't believe they can. Sorry for the short answer, but Swati's making demands of me. Can I come back to it?

JTaylor 03 July 2015 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Turbohot (Post 11705937)
Forget about your brothers and sisters, how do you explain it allegorically? Please tell, I'm all ears. <pulls up a chair>

Originally Posted by Turbohot (Post 11705940)
Make anything up, come on! I'm getting impatient. :mad:

Genesis 1 and 2 are mythological and in the same genre as other near eastern literature of the time. Whilst it contains theological truths (CS Lewis calls it 'true mythology') Adam and Eve are archetypal and not, in my view, historical. I need to leave work now, but will give you my interpretation of the rib story later.

JTaylor 03 July 2015 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Rescue Dude (Post 11705941)
ahhhh I see. The Bible is a bit like the pick and mix counter at the sweetshop? You only believe in the bits you want to. :thumb:

Sure, some of the Bible is literal truth, some mythological, some allegorical and some historical. All scholars (theist, atheist and agnostic) accept this. Jesus talked in parables.