ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Family things to do around Windsor / Slough (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1026660-family-things-to-do-around-windsor-slough.html)

chocolate_o_brian 02 July 2015 04:39 PM

Family things to do around Windsor / Slough

Me, El Capitano and our 4 year old son are off to Legoland on Monday (Sun free tickets :norty:) and as we're 200 miles away, we decided to book a Travelodge in nearby Slough for the Sunday night. So the plan is to drive down setting off 7/8am Sunday morning, find something to do for the day, stay overnight in the hotel, do Legoland on the Monday until closing at 5pm and then drive straight home.

I'm just looking for suggestion nearby (20-30 mile radius) that we could do as a family and keep young Isaac entertained. Good parks or anything like that, all suggestions welcome.

Cheers.

Paben 02 July 2015 05:00 PM

There's a rather nice castle in Windsor, well worth a visit, the Queen might be at home and there are the Guards to look at as well . A boat trip on the Thames from Windsor is fun too.

JTaylor 02 July 2015 05:09 PM

Things to do in Slough: leave Slough. Windsor's lovely, though. ;)

Matteeboy 02 July 2015 05:37 PM

I went to a wedding with the address "Windsor"
But it was North of the M4 and most definitely Slough!

The castle is great and Windsor itself is very pleasant too. Slough is sh*t.

chocolate_o_brian 02 July 2015 05:38 PM

Slough Travelodge was only £34 for a family room with free parking too. ive no doubt stayed in worse places :lol1:

JTaylor 02 July 2015 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian (Post 11705430)
Slough Travelodge was only £34 for a family room with free parking too. ive no doubt stayed in worse places :lol1:

I doubt it.

LostUser 02 July 2015 08:06 PM

The only thing that springs to mind in that area is Odds Farm Park. That's very good.

A bit further afield is Beale Park in Reading.

Have a look on google and see if either of those would be any good

hodgy0_2 02 July 2015 09:26 PM

If the wind is in the right direction Slough gets the full aroma from the multitude of sewage works in west London

Which is nice

zip106 02 July 2015 10:23 PM

Wernham Hogg may be open.

mart360 03 July 2015 08:50 PM

Check online before using the bogof offers!

it was cheaper for us as a fmily of 3 to do a 48hr before purchase, than use a bogof offer

Oh and the refillable drinks bottle size has reduced from about 500ml to 250ml! lets just say tiny this year - massive last

the price has also gone up ... just buy one and share ;)

Oh and you now get the piccys before ! and after the ride!!!!

wait time for us was 15-20 mins per ride ... the laser blaster mummy ride was busy, we did that first ... they were big queues as we left ...

we walked straight onto atlantis & the dragon though

Mart

Torquemada 03 July 2015 10:55 PM

Slough is horrible...and I say that when most of my family come from Coatbridge in outer Glasgow....
Windsor is really nice though, get down to the river if the weather permits.

chocolate_o_brian 04 July 2015 08:40 AM

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Hodge, I look forward to the 'aroma'. Makes a change to the local steelworks I guess.

hodgy0_2 04 July 2015 01:54 PM

Enjoy your day,

Legoland is quite well done, we took our twins this time last year (during the last week of term)

i thought maybe it might be less crowded during "term time" - not a fvcking chance

Our twinlys loved it btw (and if they do we do)

Remember sun cream!!

chocolate_o_brian 04 July 2015 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11706322)
Enjoy your day,

Legoland is quite well done, we took our twins this time last year (during the last week of term)

i thought maybe it might be less crowded during "term time" - not a fvcking chance

Our twinlys loved it btw (and if they do we do)

Remember sun cream!!

I'm going to look into this "Q-bot" system later on when Isaac's in bed. £15 each on the basic attractions one seems good, if as you say, it's busy regardless. He doesn't do patience, queuing, etc. due to his problems (as of yet not diagnosed autism or similar - certainly not just little bstard syndrome), so for £30 (Mrs and Isaac) it may be worth a punt to avoid obligatory meltdowns. As someone that has been, is it worth the investment?

chocolate_o_brian 05 July 2015 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by LostUser (Post 11705509)
The only thing that springs to mind in that area is Odds Farm Park. That's very good.

A bit further afield is Beale Park in Reading.

Have a look on google and see if either of those would be any good

We ended up driving straight to Beale Park. Just under £27 for the three of us to get in and it was well worth it IMO.

And this Travelodge is absolutely fine in Langley. Either Toby Carvery or Harvester to get some tea from too. Planes may be an unwelcome noise but the windows are reinforced by the looks of it.

hodgy0_2 05 July 2015 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian (Post 11706353)
I'm going to look into this "Q-bot" system later on when Isaac's in bed. £15 each on the basic attractions one seems good, if as you say, it's busy regardless. He doesn't do patience, queuing, etc. due to his problems (as of yet not diagnosed autism or similar - certainly not just little bstard syndrome), so for £30 (Mrs and Isaac) it may be worth a punt to avoid obligatory meltdowns. As someone that has been, is it worth the investment?

mmmm, maybe (we didn't and did have to queue for a few rides)

but we weren't under any time pressure, it was a sunny warm day so was not too bad

it may make for a more relaxing time - knowing you don't have to rush

it is a bit like being in traffic, it sort of travels in a wave, before or after and you are fine, so its tempting to run from ride to ride to beat the crowds

and there were some rides where I did say "sod that, i'm not queuing for that ride"

P1Fanatic 06 July 2015 06:25 PM

Windsor Great Parks and Virginia Water Lake is a nice place for a leisurely walk / ice cream / picnic.