ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   French diesel has gone down..... (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1026649-french-diesel-has-gone-down.html)

alcazar 02 July 2015 01:10 PM

French diesel has gone down.....

......by €0.08 per litre since I was last here at Whit, while ours continues to rise.

Any of the usual apologists for the oil companies care to explain?

ALi-B 02 July 2015 01:15 PM

Who apologises for the oil companies?

.....Unless its Scottish? ;)

Puff The Magic Wagon! 02 July 2015 02:07 PM

I noticed that at my local Tescos that diesel's gap to petrol has reduced too - less people drive diesels in the summer? Or more to the point less people want heating oil I expect...

hodgy0_2 02 July 2015 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon! (Post 11705322)
I noticed that at my local Tescos that diesel's gap to petrol has reduced too - less people drive diesels in the summer? Or more to the point less people want heating oil I expect...

yes I noticed that too

alcazar 02 July 2015 07:00 PM

Apologists? You know, those folk who come on here and explain that the poor old oil companies have the right to fleece us...sorry, make a huge profit. :mad:

ALi-B 02 July 2015 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11705461)
Apologists? You know, those folk who come on here and explain that the poor old oil companies have the right to fleece us...sorry, make a huge profit. :mad:

Ahh, I think its more to do with our government's tax. Which to be fair is pretty extortionate (considering we still pay road tax etc. ).

I don't think anyone in their right mind would say the oil companies are hard-pressed.

Dirk Diggler 75 02 July 2015 09:01 PM

Been watching the super unleaded climbing up again ........

ReallyReallyGoodMeat 03 July 2015 07:46 AM

The Euro has been weakening against the USD which you would think means that oil costs more euros to buy the same amount, so the price for them should be going UP not DOWN!

Ciaran 03 July 2015 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11705297)
......by €0.08 per litre since I was last here at Whit, while ours continues to rise.

Any of the usual apologists for the oil companies care to explain?

58p duty! That never goes up and down with the oil price does it? Fuel came down so oil company chose to cut it.
Cost of producing oil and gas is only getting greater. Is almost not cost effective in a lot of places
Maybe the French government lowered duty?

If you hadn't guessed I work for an oil major.
Just keep put anything Shell related in your car and my bonus will be sweet :D

kevo10 03 July 2015 01:23 PM

The annoying thing is, price here in Brum was going up weeks before the actual oil price started rising again. First a penny here and there, and then up by 3 or 4 p in one. But , its no good moaning cos we just accept it and get mugged everytime you get to your local Shellwatering hole

markjmd 03 July 2015 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Ciaran (Post 11705757)
58p duty! That never goes up and down with the oil price does it? Fuel came down so oil company chose to cut it.
Cost of producing oil and gas is only getting greater. Is almost not cost effective in a lot of places
Maybe the French government lowered duty?

If you hadn't guessed I work for an oil major.
Just keep put anything Shell related in your car and my bonus will be sweet :D

Are you asking us, telling us, or just spouting off any old random drivel in an attempt to distract us from the subject at hand?

Edit:
For the record, fuel duty on diesel in fact rose by 0.04E per liter in the last year in France (and by 0.017E on petrol). Source:
http://www.douane.gouv.fr/articles/a...region-en-2015

alcazar 03 July 2015 07:34 PM

So why's it so cheap?

€1.14,9 here today...that's another €0.04c off.

markjmd 03 July 2015 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11706015)
So why's it so cheap?

€1.14,9 here today...that's another €0.04c off.

You'd have to ask Mr Shell man to come back and explain that one, I'm **ggered if I know.

Ciaran 03 July 2015 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by markjmd (Post 11706137)
You'd have to ask Mr Shell man to come back and explain that one, I'm **ggered if I know.

Oil price has dropped!
It's simple economics the oil price goes up slightly and the price of fuel rockets
The price of oil drops and the fuel price drops.

My argument above is that the duty of fuel is fixed regardless of the oil so if the price goes down it because the oil company is selling it cheaper simples :D

markjmd 03 July 2015 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Ciaran (Post 11706189)
Oil price has dropped!
It's simple economics the oil price goes up slightly and the price of fuel rockets
The price of oil drops and the fuel price drops.

My argument above is that the duty of fuel is fixed regardless of the oil so if the price goes down it because the oil company is selling it cheaper simples :D

Right, but the implied question was, "why has the price gone down in place X when it's gone up in place Y?". You seem to be telling us that it's for no other reason than the fact oil companies believe the marker in place Y will tolerate the higher price, correct?

alcazar 04 July 2015 08:35 AM

That's what I've always believed, but successive governments have said no, while holding out their hands for the extra VAT so generated:mad:

I may not be Mr. Super-intelligent, but I HATE being taken for a fool.