ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Centre section resonator question (Classic) (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1026620-centre-section-resonator-question-classic.html)

Flat4x4-again 01 July 2015 04:56 PM

Centre section resonator question (Classic)

Two really basic questions - sorry if the answers are obvious :freak3: :-

1. Does a non-resonated centre pipe (like a Hayward and Scott 2.5") make any difference to your chances of passing an MOT ?
2. If I keep everything standard for now (Subaru 2.5" front pipe and backbox) do I just get a bit more burble but nothing that loud ?

Thanks

1509joe 01 July 2015 05:48 PM

1. No
2. In my opinion makes them tinny sounding and a bit too loud but not in a nice way.

Flat4x4-again 01 July 2015 08:41 PM

Ok - I want to keep the standard twin-pipe backbox and I can't afford the £350 H&S want for a better twin pipe one. A gamble then on the de-resonated centre...

1509joe 01 July 2015 10:42 PM

Can't help you there boss first thing most people do away with might be alright with standard twin box.

Gear Head 02 July 2015 09:54 AM

Centre section resonator question (Classic)

A backbox is what will really change the exhaust note. a de resonated centre will just m crease the volume and 'boom' when on motorways. No point just changing the centre section.

Flat4x4-again 02 July 2015 02:51 PM

Ok thanks

Davec30 02 July 2015 04:25 PM

My exhaust was a sports cat with H&S straight through middle section to a H&S back box. This was too loud for me and wanted a more standard sound so opted to buy an aftermarket standard back box.

Like you, I would like the H&S twin backbox but don't want my exhaust any louder. It is much quieter in the car so much so I can hardly hear the exhaust at all within the car. I quite like the noise the exhaust makes now.

No booming what so ever.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Flat4x4-again 02 July 2015 05:35 PM

Dave

Just to be clear, you have a Sports Cat, H&S Centre and standard backbox ?
I should be fine then !

What kind of H&S backbox did you have then - the 'Afterburner' or the single tailpipe 3" or 2.5" ?

Davec30 02 July 2015 05:43 PM

Yes mate. 2.5 system so the standard backbox went straight on. I had the jap style angled H&S back box which my neighbours loved... So I then went to one like a prodrive which was quieter but I was fed up of the noise to be honest ( old age lol ) so got a standard one.

You'll be fine or at least mine is lol

topshot 02 July 2015 08:06 PM

I have just fitted a decat centre section without resonator and it made very little difference to in car noise. It sounds louder and much nicer outside the car when under full throttle.

Flat4x4-again 03 July 2015 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by topshot (Post 11705508)
I have just fitted a decat centre section without resonator and it made very little difference to in car noise. It sounds louder and much nicer outside the car when under full throttle.

Cheers :thumb: