ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   ebay numpty (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1026506-ebay-numpty.html)

warrenm2 28 June 2015 11:55 PM

ebay numpty

What would you do? Guy buys my old cooker hood which I advertised as collection only and cash on collection. He then gives various excuses why he cant come straight away (car broken down, was collecting other item which has now fallen through), he pays me the money via paypal, now says he will send a courier to collect, but then no further contact.

What would you do? Charge him storage? Tell him collect within time period or I will bin it? Its been a month since the auction end and want it out of my garage

Raptorman 29 June 2015 12:24 AM

If he paid via paypal I would leave it until 60 days have elapsed and then message him to see if he still wants it and give him seven days to collect or you will dispose of it.

Turbohot 29 June 2015 12:32 AM

If he has paid for it (which he has, via PayPal) then just hold on to it for him. I'd understand your inconvenience if it were a humungous item to hold. He sounds mentally unstable, but the item is not exactly an elephant. So, hold on to it for at least another two months. You're never going to rent a storage just to store your rejected cooker hood either. I hope he collects it soon. Good luck. :thumb:

What do Ebay say about this sort of situ btw? Worth giving them a shout and follow their rules, if they have any?

pimmo2000 29 June 2015 07:00 AM

He'll open a claim through paypal and screw you over. "Cover" yourself and get in touch with them first.

ALi-B 29 June 2015 07:46 AM

Refund and relist. Why waste further time messing about with a messer?

Turbohot 29 June 2015 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11703674)
Refund and relist. Why waste further time messing about with a messer?

Good idea, but Mr. Warren needs to email the buyer and give him some sort of deadline e.g. another month at least, as per his second option in his opening post. At the end of the day, that mentally unstable buyer did pay for the item, so give him some credit, like!

That's what I would do, anyway.

daveyj 29 June 2015 10:16 PM

Refund buyer. Relist item. Ensure any future bids from previous buyer (if they decide to bid) are cancelled. As long as you refund them there is no contract as such. You should get a final value fee refund. You might need to apply to cancel deal citing no contact with buyer through Ebay first......

Pointless contacting customer services. You'll get through to a charming Dutch person, but ultimately not a lot will happen save for 20mins plus of your life wasted on hold.

I no longer sell on Ebay. It's had its day for private sellers tbh. Gumtree and other App-based services will render it largely irrelevant for the occasional seller soon.

kevo10 30 June 2015 07:28 AM

There may be a genuine reason for no contact. He could be in some sort of personal crisis so give the guy a chance . Not indefinately though

DARB 30 June 2015 08:15 AM

Around three year ago when we found out we were having a baby I decided to fill in the pond so I advertised various parts, one guy won all four 250 gallon filters, he contacted me and I said they were too big for a car, he turned up in an estate and couldn't even fit one in, he paid and said he would come back at the weekend with a van. They are still at the bottom of the garden, if he's not collected them in another three year then I'll skip them !! :thumb:

warrenm2 30 June 2015 06:26 PM

Wonders never cease. He got in touch yesterday and has arranged for a courier to collect today, which actually happened! I wonder if he read this thread?!

hodgy0_2 30 June 2015 08:24 PM

I think that the ubiquitous nature of modern communications - Internet, text, email, in app messaging - all on mobiles too, have skewed expectations regarding communicating

warrenm2 30 June 2015 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11704589)
I think that the ubiquitous nature of modern communications - Internet, text, email, in app messaging - all on mobiles too, have skewed expectations regarding communicating

Maybe buts its been a month....

jaygsi 30 June 2015 09:40 PM

I'd just relist it mate. If he contacts you at later date then just say sorry i resold it as i didn't think you were coming, then refund him if he makes a fuse.

Best thing to do is never except paypal when buyers are collecting, as it can go badly wrong. Once they have picked item up, they can claim they never received it, or its damaged and end up with a refund. Cash on collection only.

Originally Posted by warrenm2 (Post 11704624)
Maybe buts its been a month....

warrenm2 30 June 2015 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by jaygsi (Post 11704633)
I'd just relist it mate. If he contacts you at later date then just say sorry i resold it as i didn't think you were coming, then refund him if he makes a fuse.

Best thing to do is never except paypal when buyers are collecting, as it can go badly wrong. Once they have picked item up, they can claim they never received it, or its damaged and end up with a refund. Cash on collection only.

Yeah I know which is why I said cash on collection in the ad, but he ignored it. Oh well, its been collected now. Lets see if he complains about it in some way....