ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Engine Management and ECU Remapping (https://www.scoobynet.com/engine-management-and-ecu-remapping-453/)
-   -   Remap with just cat back exhaust (https://www.scoobynet.com/engine-management-and-ecu-remapping-453/1026062-remap-with-just-cat-back-exhaust.html)

Kingy_88 17 June 2015 07:39 PM

Remap with just cat back exhaust

Hi all recently bought my uncles 52 bug eye wrx....he had a cat back exhaust fitted but that's the only modification on the car

I'm going to replace the standard panel filter but just wondering if it's worth having a remap with only these mods ?

Mostly I want it doing for drivability and if there are a few extra bro then it's a bonus but I don't really want to be doing de cats etc as I can't be arsed with farting around come the MOT

Any feedback would be great

brendy76 18 June 2015 10:11 AM

You don't need a remap to allow for these but having a tweak will make the car immensely more enjoyable and changes the whole experience. Id recommend it! :D

bludgod 18 June 2015 02:54 PM

as above, panel filter and cat back pipe should be fine on a standard flash but even just popping the PPP map on would see you boosted a little bit in the performance.

Kingy_88 20 June 2015 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by brendy76 (Post 11698776)
You don't need a remap to allow for these but having a tweak will make the car immensely more enjoyable and changes the whole experience. Id recommend it! :D

That's what I'm thinking just for a bit more power and fun

Kingy_88 20 June 2015 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by bludgod (Post 11698912)
as above, panel filter and cat back pipe should be fine on a standard flash but even just popping the PPP map on would see you boosted a little bit in the performance.

I'll have a look at the PPP map, I'm not after lots of power or doing lots of modifications just a little extra would be nice

Lance_123 27 June 2015 10:38 PM

Is the downpipe still stock?

Kingy_88 28 June 2015 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Lance_123 (Post 11703147)
Is the downpipe still stock?

Yes still standard but just seen one on here for sale I may get

dave_t 30 June 2015 05:08 PM

Dude, its definitely worth it from better running and drive ability to increased grin factor.

I have an 03 WRX, with the same as you.
Standard is 'about' 221bhp & torques.

Mine is a similar spec to yours and after a visit from Duncan at RaceDynamix (others are available) its now 280bhp & 288 torques.

PPP will give you something but nothing like a custom remap.

Light & day to drive, not just better power, but better all around.

If you plan other mods (don't sound like it) then do the other mods first then map otherwise get on the phone to a reputable mapper and enjoy the grin..

Kingy_88 30 June 2015 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by dave_t (Post 11704481)
Dude, its definitely worth it from better running and drive ability to increased grin factor.

I have an 03 WRX, with the same as you.
Standard is 'about' 221bhp & torques.

Mine is a similar spec to yours and after a visit from Duncan at RaceDynamix (others are available) its now 280bhp & 288 torques.

PPP will give you something but nothing like a custom remap.

Light & day to drive, not just better power, but better all around.

If you plan other mods (don't sound like it) then do the other mods first then map otherwise get on the phone to a reputable mapper and enjoy the grin..

Thanks for the reply mate....so yours is pretty much standard like mine ?

I don't really plan on doing other mods as it can cause complications come MOT time removing cats etc so I'm really just looking at a re map

xxxmike 30 June 2015 09:24 PM

I am also running a cat back and K&N and making 280bhp on a custom map.
I dont want the hassle with MOT's too so putting an STI sports cat and STI up pipe on mine. Hopefully get a bit more BHP and more mid range. Will also make the turbo spool up quicker. And is MOT friendly

Originally Posted by Kingy_88 (Post 11704512)
Thanks for the reply mate....so yours is pretty much standard like mine ?

I don't really plan on doing other mods as it can cause complications come MOT time removing cats etc so I'm really just looking at a re map

Kingy_88 30 June 2015 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by xxxmike (Post 11704623)
I am also running a cat back and K&N and making 280bhp on a custom map.
I dont want the hassle with MOT's too so putting an STI sports cat and STI up pipe on mine. Hopefully get a bit more BHP and more mid range. Will also make the turbo spool up quicker. And is MOT friendly

I may do that in the future but as and when as I'm not overly fussed about doing it

xxxmike 30 June 2015 09:50 PM

no worries.
Will need to be mapped again when you change the downpipe and up pipe.
You can find second hand ones online for £50 each.

dave_t 30 June 2015 11:31 PM

Mine has standard CAT in the downpipe (and up-pipe), so its standard besides:
1. CAT back exhaust system
2. Scrubber cat delete pipe (removes the small box under the downpipe)
3. Filter
4. Duncan @ RaceDynamix

Thought about going decat up-pipe (not an emission killer) and a sports cat, but IMHO it didnt warrant the hassle or cost for a few xtra...

Kingy_88 05 July 2015 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by dave_t (Post 11704691)
3. Filter
4. Duncan @ RaceDynamix

Thought about going decat up-pipe (not an emission killer) and a sports cat, but IMHO it didnt warrant the hassle or cost for a few xtra...

Spoke to Duncan and hopefully it will be about 6-8 weeks before I'm ready to have it done

Before hand I'm going to get the car serviced with good oil, change to K&N filter and gear box oil, may possibly do better plugs as well and a dump valve

Think the brake pads could do with a change so may as well do that before I get more power

Cpt Jack Sparrow 06 July 2015 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Kingy_88 (Post 11706788)
Spoke to Duncan and hopefully it will be about 6-8 weeks before I'm ready to have it done

Before hand I'm going to get the car serviced with good oil, change to K&N filter and gear box oil, may possibly do better plugs as well and a dump valve

Think the brake pads could do with a change so may as well do that before I get more power

all good, but dont do the dump valve if VTA stay re-circ

Kingy_88 06 July 2015 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Cpt Jack Sparrow (Post 11706984)
all good, but dont do the dump valve if VTA stay re-circ

Just had a read up on them and seems the general consensus is the same as yours

Kingy_88 16 August 2015 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by dave_t (Post 11704691)
3. Filter
4. Duncan @ RaceDynamix

At up mate just wondering how you go about the scrubber cat delete you mentioned

bludgod 17 August 2015 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Kingy_88 (Post 11724707)
At up mate just wondering how you go about the scrubber cat delete you mentioned

you can either buy an aftermarket downpipe which usually replaces both cat sections or you can stick with the standard first cat in the downpipe and pickup a 2nd decat pipe (as pictured here on the left)

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...24428e7d8e.jpg

Kingy_88 17 August 2015 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by bludgod (Post 11725030)
you can either buy an aftermarket downpipe which usually replaces both cat sections or you can stick with the standard first cat in the downpipe and pickup a 2nd decat pipe (as pictured here on the left)

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...24428e7d8e.jpg

Ah now I understand, I assumed all decat down pipes replaced both cats I didn't realise you could get them separate

bludgod 17 August 2015 01:00 PM

aye - i've only ever seen the prodrive sports cat being the 1/2 length downpipe but there are a few suppliers I've seen for the 2nd cat delete (believe scorpion do them)

rb5 stu 17 August 2015 03:15 PM

I just bought a scoobyworld sports cat and it replaces both. Its expensive but a very good job.