ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Chris Evans for TG (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1026007-chris-evans-for-tg.html)

The Trooper 1815 16 June 2015 09:25 PM

Chris Evans for TG

:D
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33158464

hodgy0_2 16 June 2015 09:40 PM

Good, I hope he makes a go of it

I like him now (although used to think he was a tw4t)

Clever choice IMO

nik52wrx 16 June 2015 09:48 PM

A fairly obvious choice I suppose bearing in mind his love of cars; personally I would rather he carried on with TFI.

Nik.

f1_fan 16 June 2015 09:54 PM

Christ Almighty, just let it die!

DanGlennon 16 June 2015 10:14 PM

Let's see what he does. Can't stand clarkson and the two c***s he worked with.

b3nmw 16 June 2015 10:22 PM

Interested to c who will be with him.

spudboytim 16 June 2015 10:29 PM

Guy Martin has to be a fair shout.

ALi-B 16 June 2015 11:18 PM

Plato is rumored....he was on TFi friday too.

dpb 16 June 2015 11:22 PM

How galling for Clarkson if it takes off :o

Pross 16 June 2015 11:32 PM

What if you hate evans more than clarkson?

markjmd 16 June 2015 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11698158)
How galling for Clarkson if it takes off :o

Except it won't. They'll be lucky to scrape half the viewing figures of the old show, on a good day. Still, doubt it'll be any worse than Call the Midwife or Countryfile.

dpb 17 June 2015 07:43 AM

I'll miss James May actually, the other two as well

What worked was the balance of characters and ages perceived or otherwise.

That said they had rather run out of ideas...

RobJenks 17 June 2015 07:49 AM

It was an entertaining show and could be really funny at times.
The trio worked well together .
The magic has gone - Evans will ensure TG's final demise.

dpb 17 June 2015 07:56 AM

I think the ginger tosser has definitely matured

neil-h 17 June 2015 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 11698116)
Christ Almighty, just let it die!

Agreed. Although it should be interesting to see what the ratings do with the new series.

Originally Posted by spudboytim (Post 11698136)
Guy Martin has to be a fair shout.

Doubt it.

alcazar 17 June 2015 09:20 AM

Evans?
Now THERE'S a good reason never to watch it.........

EddScott 17 June 2015 09:23 AM

No problem with Evans as the presenter. He doesn't often work with scripts so it might be the refresh TG needs as most of the haters focused on the scripting.

Hasn't Guy Martin said in the past he's not keen on TV work?

Think Jason Plato is in there too. He's alright off track but his on track behaviour takes the wee sometimes.

Some say, ;) Jodie Kidd will be the 3rd person. Meh, Suzi Perry would do me.

Matteeboy 17 June 2015 09:39 AM

Funny to see all these rose tinted views from people that constantly slagged off the last series. And the one before that...

Geezer 17 June 2015 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by markjmd (Post 11698162)
Except it won't. They'll be lucky to scrape half the viewing figures of the old show, on a good day. Still, doubt it'll be any worse than Call the Midwife or Countryfile.

I think that a lot of TG viewers will drift away because it's not Clarkson/Hammond/May. But, I also think that Evans has a huge following, and lots of people will watch who would not have before.

The old TG is dead, doesn't mean that the new TG won't be as popular, but to a different audience.

neil-h 17 June 2015 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by EddScott (Post 11698214)
Hasn't Guy Martin said in the past he's not keen on TV work?

Yup, think he must of had something in his contract with Tyco for the TT this year as he was barely in any of the coverage on ITV. Also if you read his autobiography, his thoughts on the TV work are made quite clear.

ReallyReallyGoodMeat 17 June 2015 10:16 AM

Changing the presenters is one thing, changing the production team is something else (Andy Wilman), I can't see how it can possibly be any good I'm afraid.

LSherratt 17 June 2015 10:31 AM

Finally. I might actually start watching TG now and the same goes for my girlfriend because she thinks Chris Evans is great. TG needed a new direction (in my opinion) after that abortion of a program :).

SJ_Skyline 17 June 2015 11:10 AM

They'll be changing the name to "Gear Knob" then?

ditchmyster 17 June 2015 11:15 AM

I think it's a good thing, it was time for a revamp as the show had gone stale with only 2/3 good episodes per series, while it was mildly amusing at times race here, race there, buy an old car each and crash into each other had become a bit boring and they seemed to have ran out of ideas.

I like Chris Evans, you can see he enjoys his work and he's a clever bloke, so here's hoping we get some new ideas along with some fresh faces and hopefully a bit of totty.

Brun 17 June 2015 11:26 AM

He's also producing it!
Like him or not, his track record is a proven one. A very clever bloke with a true passion for cars. It may not reach the lofty heights of old TG but it will be a huge success with CE at the helm!

Alan Jeffery 17 June 2015 12:16 PM

Only Fools without Del Boy and Rodney
Allo Allo without Rene
Dad's Army without Captain Mainwaring
The Italian Job without Michael Caine
Top Gear without Clarkson.
Yeh, could work..

hodgy0_2 17 June 2015 12:53 PM

the great thing is, is that in a couple years we will all be able to comment

I for one wish him (and the new production team) the best

Markus 17 June 2015 12:59 PM

From the viewpoint of someone who "gets" the whole petrolhead thing, which is what TG is really about these days (bunch of boys who won't grow up, playing silly buggers with expensive toys - but with a love of said toys), then Mr Evans is a good choice as a presenter.

Having said that, I'm not keen on the guy, something just irritates me. Ginger? no, it's not that, he could be blonde and still be an annoying little ****.

The other co presenters will be interesting, I very much doubt there would be the same dynamic as JC, RH, and JM had together.

As long as he doesn't have Lewis on as a guest, we'll be ok.

What I would really love to see is Star in a Reasonably Priced Car still be present, and for the first guest to be JC :D Then later on get the other lads in to smash his time. I think it would be fitting, but doubt the BBC would go for it.

I also suspect that the next adventure of the trio may well poke fun at the fracas, the opening scene being JC thumping someone and wandering off ;)

dpb 17 June 2015 01:08 PM

Could be spot on there Markus...

I think the boys will rue the day they turned down the 9 million to stay on though , if true

ALi-B 17 June 2015 01:31 PM

Woman co presenter announced; sounds iffy. Makes me wonder if the Sue Perkins rumour was actaally started by the BBC with the intention to guage public opinion.

If anyone has read Andy Wilman's story on TG, he mentioned early on the BBC found that some like 30% of TG's audoence was female, and the "BBC meddling department" (Wilman's words) advised they should be more catered for.

He ignored the meddling department's advice. Given it lasted ten odd years, it was the right thing to do.

It seems to me now that the BBC's meddling departent now has a free reign on TG; They are employing presenters to try and cater for its target audience and forcing a bunch of individuals together who fit their tick boxes and magically expecting them to work well togther and "click"; It won't work it just makes it awkward and contrived - like 5th gear's or Gadget show's attempts at "banter".

Of course I could be wrong, I hope I am, as I'd like something to watch on Sunday evening as I've almost exhausted the Motor Trend Channel on Youtube....