ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   People Obsessed With Going to the Gym (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1025813-people-obsessed-with-going-to-the-gym.html)

GlesgaKiss 12 June 2015 10:20 AM

People Obsessed With Going to the Gym

Particularly women now. Men have been putting on muscle in an effort to be good with women for decades but now there seems to be an ever-growing number of women doing squats and lifting weights. We all know it isn't 'self improvement'. It's to look like the women in magazines, on TV, etc. Being fit is one thing but spending so much time and effort getting an arse seems weird and isn't particularly attractive.

What are your thoughts?

zip106 12 June 2015 10:27 AM

A friend of ours is nearly 46 - she's been going to the gym 3-4 times a week since she was 16.

Looks like a honed race horse.... don't find it at all attractive.

andy97 12 June 2015 10:30 AM

You're joking, big firm arse, look amazing in a tight clothing. We aren't, well I am not a gay clothing designers who dress up androgynous females to mimic boys

Matteeboy 12 June 2015 10:48 AM

There's a balance I reckon; firm but not stringy, a but curvy but not fat.

Fortunately the missus is just right for me; athletic arms, legs, totally flat stomach, etc but still a very pleasant feminine figure.

I used to be a total gym head but find the excessively gym only honed shape looks a bit too try hard.

You need to mix it up to get a proper all round athlete look; boxers and gymnasts look far better than some body building muscle head IMO.

LSherratt 12 June 2015 10:53 AM

I love a toned tight female :norty:

DYK 12 June 2015 12:15 PM

If the breasts don't look flat as pancakes then nice athletic is nice.wish I still had proper time routine for gym.being out on the road so many much its difficult or weekend is only real time so can't even spread it out during the week.fecking work 😩

JackClark 12 June 2015 12:19 PM

More power to them, there are far too many ditch donkeys with fat arses, I only like ditch donkeys with a nice arse and good teeth.

JackClark 12 June 2015 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by DYK (Post 11696022)
If the breasts don't look flat as pancakes then nice athletic is nice.wish I still had proper time routine for gym.being out on the road so many much its difficult or weekend is only real time so can't even spread it out during the week.fecking work 😩

Get a TRX or similar, doesn't matter where you are.

dpb 12 June 2015 12:21 PM

Think theres a difference between toned and muscly

I'm all for the former !

GlesgaKiss 12 June 2015 12:32 PM

Don't get me wrong, I like a nice arse! And toned to an extent. I suppose what puts me off is the obsessively changing their life to look good and then pretending it's all about 'self improvement'.

Or maybe it's just because they squat better than me. :)

DYK 12 June 2015 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11696029)
Get a TRX or similar, doesn't matter where you are.

Nothing like a proper lifting workout though,I've lost Quite a bit muscle but may take a look at it,although I do have a bullbar I take with me,or maybe start doing an advanced workout over the weekend then have five days instead of four to recover.

Turbohot 12 June 2015 12:54 PM

Men or women, OTT/extreme masculine looks are far from aesthetic beauty; as far as the sun is from the earth. There is a limit, I agree. Manly women will look odd on the street, so would Mr. Universe lookalike muscle bundle of a man. Such looks are freaky to most people.

But that is different to women going to gym more than ever before these days, though. Weight lifting and squatting are done for toning as part of gym routine, not necessarily to develop androgynous looks.

Obsession in general stems from underlying issues. As long as it doesn't harm self and others, I can't see any problem with more and more women using the gym and getting toned/physically fit. It makes them physically healthier, so why not.

About women taking extreme measures to look like the ones from the magazines, media can take the blame, so should the society where men still tend to judge women with their set criteria of beauty. Whatever women do to improve their appearance will be an issue for men, as there's an expectation for women to look as men would like to see them. For men, if women are too thin, it's a problem. If they're overweight, it's a problem. if they're somewhere in the middle, they could do something better in one department or other. If they're stunners, they're psychos. If they have muscular fitness, they might as well be men! Although I bet any woman would do some of you desperate ones from here, with a bit of luck. ;) :D

You don't see women complaining about men's balding heads and their grown looks as much; neither in real life not on internet. But women are often discussed for what they look to men's eyes- in real and on internet.

In a nutshell, men bear a major responsibility for setting the criteria for women's looks that get published by the glossy magazines, and their behaviours e.g. frequenting gym to acquire such looks.

Thinking about it, I might as well make a comment on men:

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11696030)
Think theres a difference between toned and muscly

I'm all for the former !

Sure. I'm all for the former in men. :) In addition, it's nice if they look beautiful all round. Just physically toned body but rest all wonky doesn't suffice. ;)

f1_fan 12 June 2015 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Turbohot (Post 11696051)
You don't see women complaining about men's balding heads

You leave me out of this please ;) :D

Matteeboy 12 June 2015 01:27 PM

There's a certain, mysterious element in some women that's incredibly alluring; it over rides a bit of extra weight, non perfect teeth, whatever; I know a few who aren't the "ideal" shape or look but something about them is just a bit phhhwwoooaar.

Similarly I know super fit girls who are just totally unappealing.

Some things come into play now that never used to; being kind, being a good parent, etc - all add to the appeal.

A text book guide of his women should look is a nonsense.

Dirk Diggler 75 12 June 2015 01:27 PM

Most of men are artificial thanks to the zoids .........

Turbohot 12 June 2015 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 11696071)
You leave me out of this please ;) :D

:lol1:

Dingdongler 12 June 2015 02:02 PM

I like seeing women pumping some weights at the gym. To me it shows they have some discipline and motivation and aren't some lazy biscuit scoffing waste of space that just spends her life exercising her fat gob.

And the sight of a fit girl doing squats in tight lycra makes going to the gym worthwhile.:D

Whether it's for self improvement or vanity it still takes some discipline to hit the gym at 0700hrs on a Saturday morning and personally I find that attractive.

Again I admire their discipline but it's the female running freaks at the gym that I don't find attractive, some of them look like a pipe cleaner with a wig.

dpb 12 June 2015 02:06 PM

Theres rather too many middle aged women and blokes "hitting" the pool I go to on a Saturday morning , cos the government says they should ...

Turbohot 12 June 2015 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11696098)
Theres rather too many middle aged women and blokes "hitting" the pool I go to on a Saturday morning , cos the government says they should ...

You're one of them, so why complain? :D

Charity begins at home, so how about you doing something about it? Stop crowding the pool with your middle aged presence, at least one 'past it' will be less to ruin the look of the pool. :lol1:

I'm only joshing, Dunc. Keep up with your running, swimming, cycling etc and f**k everyone else for what they think of you and the likes crowding the pool. It's all good for you, man. :thumb: :D

Matteeboy 12 June 2015 02:27 PM

I swam on my own yesterday; a mile (just over) in the Atlantic Ocean with just fish and about a dozen spider crabs for company.
Loved it.

Exercise is so much better outdoors.

Turbohot 12 June 2015 02:39 PM

Exactly. Exercise is good for you, regardless of your age, gender or whatever. Outdoors is great when all nice and summery like these days. There have been threads here against obesity, and now if more people are exercising in our society, it's surely a good thing.

dpb 12 June 2015 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Turbohot (Post 11696110)
You're one of them, so why complain? :D

Charity begins at home, so how about you doing something about it? Stop crowding the pool with your middle aged presence, at least one 'past it' will be less to ruin the look of the pool. :lol1:

I'm only joshing, Dunc. Keep up with your running, swimming, cycling etc and f**k everyone else for what they think of you and the likes crowding the pool. It's all good for you, man. :thumb: :D

I should remembered w/e is a no go area .....:)

Bit exposed to swim in the sea here , coastlines all straight and tides too strong

hill79 12 June 2015 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Turbohot (Post 11696119)
Exactly. Exercise is good for you, regardless of your age, gender or whatever. Outdoors is great when all nice and summary like these days. There have been threads here against obesity, and now if more people are exercising in our society, it's surely a good thing.

I agree in part, the end result (a fitter, healthier population) is positive but if the motivation for doing it is media/social pressure I think its harmful in the long run. Do it for yourself, do it because you want to, do it because you enjoy it - don't do it because you feel like you're a bad person otherwise or because you *have* to in order to be attractive.

f1_fan 12 June 2015 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Heckle and Mr. Snide (Post 11696124)
Bit exposed to swim in the sea here , coastlines all straight and tides too strong

Oh please give it a go!

dpb 12 June 2015 04:18 PM

:lol1: :lol1:

JackClark 12 June 2015 05:38 PM

Seconded.

Bonehead 12 June 2015 05:55 PM

Isn't this thread a bit useless without photographic examples?

Turbohot 12 June 2015 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by hill79 (Post 11696137)
I agree in part, the end result (a fitter, healthier population) is positive but if the motivation for doing it is media/social pressure I think its harmful in the long run. Do it for yourself, do it because you want to, do it because you enjoy it - don't do it because you feel like you're a bad person otherwise or because you *have* to in order to be attractive.

Sure.

I quote a couple of sources for '*have* to' in my #12.

Other than that, there's enough evidence for physical exercise to be a non-pharmacological intervention for physical as well as psychological health. With that angle, people can make up their own mind and get going with a bit of extra curricular body movement; may it be gymming, swimming, doing workout at home, go for a run or even a walk etc. etc.

pimmo2000 12 June 2015 11:04 PM

Nice

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...5d5f509a47.jpg

Not nice

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...2aed2e2dbf.jpg

banny sti 13 June 2015 12:06 AM

Each to their own, I wont deny I'm gym obsessed but I do it for me and me alone regardless of how anyone perceives the way I look. Got past the stage of caring about peoples opinions on my physique a long time ago :)