ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Member's Gallery (https://www.scoobynet.com/members-gallery-5/)
-   -   Subaru Newbie - air ride on a WRX (https://www.scoobynet.com/members-gallery-5/1025186-subaru-newbie-air-ride-on-a-wrx.html)

ewennicholls 28 May 2015 09:09 PM

Subaru Newbie - air ride on a WRX

Never been a Subaru fan but the new shape really took my fancy. Fed up with my Mk1 golf breaking down (mainly in awkward and dangerous places) thought stuff it lets go Jap.

I know this will upset 99% of subaru purists but being 20 I can't really see the point in getting anymore power so may as well make it look good.

Fairly high miles 80k pretty good condition other than standard smashed fog lights and stone chips, and headgasket and cambelt done so hopefully I'll be safe for a bit.

Started life looking a bit ugly (WRX grilles are horrible!)

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...66287b19d8.jpg

So I made/bodged myself a new one as I'm too cheap to buy a proper one :D

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...9d1f2aa798.jpg

And then got my air ride fitted - could probably do it myself but I wouldn't want to mess it up for the money :(

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...9f54774516.jpg

Need some new wheels now! Everything you buy seems to make you want to buy something else :cry:

Cheers for looking :thumb:

Dean0 29 May 2015 05:55 PM

Good luck with this mate good to be different , really taking a liking to this shape. Doubt you will get many fans with this but make it your own

whitehawkkid 29 May 2015 06:10 PM

You'll get so much hate but from me it's all love baby looks fecking awesome

brendy76 29 May 2015 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by whitehawkkid (Post 11689368)
You'll get so much hate but from me it's all love baby looks fecking faulty

Fixed that for you. Cars are meant to be driven not have their sack scraped along the road, adjustable or not. Airbag suspension is the bleached arsehole of motoring.

Just my opinion. :)

mikejenkins 29 May 2015 06:27 PM

Keep going for dubber full house:

Wheels with stretched tyres
Excessive camber
Stickers, ideally in script
Sell it and get another VW

jayallen 29 May 2015 06:38 PM

120 Views, 4 comments...........Says it all.

Dean0 29 May 2015 06:41 PM

This is a 20 year old guy who probably could not afford to insure a turbo subaru so he has to modify it in this way. Fair play to him!!!

jayallen 29 May 2015 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dean0 (Post 11689385)
This is a 20 year old guy who probably could not afford to insure a turbo subaru so he has to modify it in this way. Fair play to him!!!

Firstly, Its a WRX and the last time I looked, they had a turbo....Secondly since when has a mod like air bag suspension been an insurance friendly mod?

*matthewturb2000* 29 May 2015 07:03 PM

Looks a bit like a seat leon if you squint at the side view :lol:

Dean0 29 May 2015 07:04 PM

Fair enough on the turbo!! I just hate all the hate people get from subaru purists, I build a 1.5 2wd three door impreza. To a 2.0 turbo 4wd and I just got people saying its a fake type r! I just say fair play to someone modifiing a car in they own way

Neil.. 29 May 2015 08:01 PM

Ignore the haters.

Most on here are into standard, or rally replicas, and then spend all weekend polishing their standard cars and taking them out for a nice Sunday drive.

Do what you want, and enjoy it.

Abx 29 May 2015 08:07 PM

Like it, it's good to be different!

Benji554 29 May 2015 09:03 PM

Fair play to you mate. Personally I prefer 'go than show' but I can see the appeal. Ignore the haters!

Abx 29 May 2015 11:15 PM

And is that Bluewater car park, if so I'm only in Greenhithe so will look out for you, a few hatches about of late, way more than when I had mine!

mikejenkins 30 May 2015 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Dean0 (Post 11689400)
Fair enough on the turbo!! I just hate all the hate people get from subaru purists, I build a 1.5 2wd three door impreza. To a 2.0 turbo 4wd and I just got people saying its a fake type r! I just say fair play to someone modifiing a car in they own way

I completely agree with this, but doing something the VW morons have been doing for years and which they copied from various other "scenes" is not really "modifying a car in their own way", especially when all of their cars end up looking exactly the same.

kevo10 30 May 2015 08:58 AM

Do what u want . your money . You get hated just for having a WRX on here lately

The Trooper 1815 30 May 2015 11:53 AM

STi grills are only £60, so obviously not bothering to check out alternatives.
The OP is unlikely to declare his mods, so honest people get a bit of ring roughing from their insurers. But he's twenty and does not give a flying rats anus about anything anyway.

Gear Head 30 May 2015 02:44 PM

You can't afford a £60 grill but you can afford air suspension. :wonder:

I had my first impreza (sti 4) at 21 and didn't kill myself so good luck to you.

Air ride looks silly though and pointless unless it's sole purpose is as a show car.

Barxy 30 May 2015 03:24 PM

It looks okay when slammed, could do with a nicer set of wheels though and a few more mods.

You will upset them, but ignore the purists on here that literally cry themselves to sleep every night at the thought of someone fitting a dump valve or a modification of their choice.
Do what ever you want its you're car dude. Is recommend keeping the standard bits though incase you decide to sell, will be easier if it was put back to standard form.

scottee73 30 May 2015 08:41 PM

Do what you want to it mate ,make it yours,anyone can have a standard car

ewennicholls 30 May 2015 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Abx (Post 11689514)
And is that Bluewater car park, if so I'm only in Greenhithe so will look out for you, a few hatches about of late, way more than when I had mine!

Yeah I'm in Medway so quite close, do you know of any local subaru meets? Never really taken much notice before but I'm kind of getting into them now and would quite fancy meeting some other owners!

ewennicholls 30 May 2015 10:24 PM

Thanks for the appreciation (some of you). Slightly concerning how aggressive others of you can get about a car to someone you don't know...

Not that I really need to justify myself but these airlift performance kits have been proven to handle as well as / better than coilover kits which ok the testing was probably done by airlift but it handles a million times better than standard. Trust me I've actually driven it.

Barxy - Wheels are on my list times are a bit hard at the moment with insurance renewal (with my mods declared - for whoever it was that thinks that I won't because I'm young and therefore inherently dishonest) but I'm hoping to get some that fill out the arch a bit more and help it sit a bit better as its got a bit of weird rake going on at the moment.

Apostle 01 June 2015 11:59 PM

Nice job man .... Loving the stanced look ��.

What bags did you fit ? And where from ? All remote control ?

I've seen the Airsuspension craze Stateside and some kits 'finally' handle / perform well ✅

Abx 02 June 2015 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by ewennicholls (Post 11689897)
Yeah I'm in Medway so quite close, do you know of any local subaru meets? Never really taken much notice before but I'm kind of getting into them now and would quite fancy meeting some other owners!

No not been to a meet for ages, there used to be one at the Wharf on Crossways run by Kentscoobies but don't think they do it anymore.

sovietspybob 02 June 2015 04:18 PM

I'd love to drive a car with a decent modern air ride system they have quite a few advantages over using your more traditional suspension systems. I also quite like the slammed to the deck/broken axles look as well as it happens :P Just keep it on sensible wheels which aren't too stretched or generally 'dub' scene and you're on to a winner.

ewennicholls 02 June 2015 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Apostle (Post 11691011)
Nice job man .... Loving the stanced look ��.

What bags did you fit ? And where from ? All remote control ?

I've seen the Airsuspension craze Stateside and some kits 'finally' handle / perform well ✅

They're airlift performance ones from car audio security, there's a remote but its still wired so you can only do it from inside the car, but all 4 wheels can be controlled separately so you can get into some interesting positions.

Yeah seeing the american ones is what got me into it really everything is cheaper out there though :cry:

Originally Posted by Abx (Post 11691165)
No not been to a meet for ages, there used to be one at the Wharf on Crossways run by Kentscoobies but don't think they do it anymore.

Thats a shame, I can't see any on the local ones around, it seems like most the ones I go to are being shut down slowly

Originally Posted by sovietspybob (Post 11691289)
I'd love to drive a car with a decent modern air ride system they have quite a few advantages over using your more traditional suspension systems. I also quite like the slammed to the deck/broken axles look as well as it happens :P Just keep it on sensible wheels which aren't too stretched or generally 'dub' scene and you're on to a winner.

Yeah I'm trying to avoid dub wheels, problem is finding 5x100's I like as most the ones that come around are for mk4 golfs/polos. And I keep forgetting I can't run staggered or different rolling circumferences cause of the AWD system

8ulldog 05 June 2015 06:48 AM

I think it's a bit strange to assume that he will not declare his mods and as far as I'm concerned it's interesting to see something different. It's a bit like a bearded lady, I'm happy to take a look but will move on quickly as it is certainly not for me.

Good luck.

matt_rufus 05 June 2015 10:52 AM

I like the look

like the wheels too for stock may have to find a set

also thought that was bluewater Im eltham direction and I have only seen 1 hatch on the road other then mine

oiler 05 June 2015 06:35 PM

Looks good low, not really sure it would be for me but good to see something different.

Could be worse at least its not an MX5 scraping the road like someone you may know!!

FMJ 05 June 2015 06:47 PM

Looks awful in my opinion. But it's your car.

Also not sure how great the geometry is going to be if driven like that? I would have thought it's stressing CV's etc.

I have always hated the VW stupid camber, too low, no suspension travel, tyres too small look so I guess I was never going to like it on a scoob.

I once watched a grown man cry as his Golf with airlift suspension (that had burst) was dragged onto the back of a recovery truck... wrecked his wheels and arches. He wanted the busy A road left closed while his mate drove around 150miles to fetch his original suspension which he would then change in the road.... suffice to say the Police were not fan of that idea and recovery it was....