ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Streaming .mkv vids to TV (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/1025153-streaming-mkv-vids-to-tv.html)

bioforger 27 May 2015 09:06 PM

Streaming .mkv vids to TV

So my PC has the .mkv media which i stream over DLNA to various devices, one being a PS3 so i can watch the vids on a decent sized TV as the PS3 is obviously connected to it (the TV doesn't have internet/streaming capability).

Most of the files i watch are in the .mkv format which the PS3 can't playback unless you run a different DLNA server to the one built into Windows 7.

I achieve this with DivX10 software which does some trickery/conversion and streams the .mkv files well to the PS3. Although it works its flakey and a bit of a PITA, especially after a reboot.

So any alternatives or better way of streaming .mkv files from a PC to a PS3 over DLNA?

stevebt 27 May 2015 09:37 PM

See if you can get Plex for the ps3, my ipad will play mkv files once streamed thru Plex.

I find it easier to just add the files to a portable drive and play them thru a media player and now most modern tvs play mkv files.

DJ Dunk 27 May 2015 09:44 PM

I think you need a Plex Pass to use it with PS3. I used to use PS3 Media Server which worked well; might be what you're already using. My Samsung plays from my Pi over DLNA, so I don't use it now.

mart360 27 May 2015 09:49 PM

Try Serviio,

Pretty sure that can do MKV

Mart

stevebt 27 May 2015 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk (Post 11688342)
I think you need a Plex Pass to use it with PS3. I used to use PS3 Media Server which worked well; might be what you're already using. My Samsung plays from my Pi over DLNA, so I don't use it now.

I don't rate the ps3 media server as I used it with mixed results and I have Virgins fastest internet.

DJ Dunk 27 May 2015 10:11 PM

Internet? It was for streaming from PC to PS3.

bioforger 27 May 2015 10:27 PM

Yep using the PS3 media server, PLEX! of course, someone else also recommended it, thanks, working a treat so far. So much better than the divx cack. Nothing needed, just installed the free PC client, done :thumb:

stevebt 27 May 2015 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk (Post 11688353)
Internet? It was for streaming from PC to PS3.

Its still over wifi so internet is needed :)

bioforger 28 May 2015 12:37 AM

Nope streaming over cat5 ;)

Evolution Stu 28 May 2015 08:53 AM

As an alternative, I use a "mede8er" for all my media. Its awesome.

streaming it via Lan was always a bit hit a miss with big 10+gig movies.

DJ Dunk 28 May 2015 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by stevebt (Post 11688385)
Its still over wifi so internet is needed :)

WiFi doesn't need Internet access :D

Ant 28 May 2015 06:37 PM

on the topic of plex, i was that impressed with the smoothness i stumped up for the plex pass for the xbox on and installed plex server on my freenas server.

I used to use a independent player like the mede8er but its not been used since :D

all hail plex :luxhello::luxhello::luxhello:

mart360 30 May 2015 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by bioforger (Post 11688367)
Yep using the PS3 media server, PLEX! of course, someone else also recommended it, thanks, working a treat so far. So much better than the divx cack. Nothing needed, just installed the free PC client, done :thumb:

But dosent that require a plex pass? as £xx per month?

Mart

mart360 30 May 2015 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Stu @ Internet Brands (Post 11688640)
As an alternative, I use a "mede8er" for all my media. Its awesome.

streaming it via Lan was always a bit hit a miss with big 10+gig movies.

Synolgy NAS - Serviio - & powelines - 2 old routers as hubs and i get 3D streaming all round the house

mart :D

riiidaa 30 May 2015 01:14 PM

you mention PLEX which is great, but the ps3 plex client currently requires the purchase of Plex pass does it not? Or are you browsing the local plex server via the ps3's built in DNLA viewer

Serviio I've used and it does the job for DNLA

bioforger 30 May 2015 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by mart360 (Post 11689677)
But dosent that require a plex pass? as £xx per month?

Mart

Nope, as i said just dload the free PC client.

bioforger 30 May 2015 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by riiidaa (Post 11689681)
you mention PLEX which is great, but the ps3 plex client currently requires the purchase of Plex pass does it not? Or are you browsing the local plex server via the ps3's built in DNLA viewer

Serviio I've used and it does the job for DNLA

No PLEX pass required. Yes using the PS3's media server over DLNA to the PC.