ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wanted (https://www.scoobynet.com/wanted-18/)
-   -   Front entry turbo wanted (https://www.scoobynet.com/wanted-18/1024840-front-entry-turbo-wanted.html)

jaygsi 20 May 2015 01:09 AM

Front entry turbo wanted

Looking to upgrade from my Td04, what do you have thanks

joz8968 20 May 2015 01:11 PM

Might be an idea to list your intended supporting mods as well... That way sellers can offer the most appropriate ones, for maximum attainable power (if that's your goal, of course).

jaygsi 22 May 2015 09:42 AM

Thats a very good point, massive point i've overlooked in my rush.

Looking to hit 300bhp so nothing out of this world. I already have a 3" system with sports cat, performance panel filter and 225 fuel pump next then upgraded intercooler and 440 injectors

Scott@ScoobySpares 22 May 2015 12:18 PM

we have a vf35 here for £330 or a vf34 for £380

scott...

Mattybr5@MB Developments 22 May 2015 06:51 PM

Vf34-vf35 and vf43 all in stock at the moment pm me if needed

scubbay 22 May 2015 07:02 PM

You can buy a fully refurbed TD05 16G for around £350 iirc. More robust than the VF all day. I have the guys details somewhere if you need them.

jaygsi 23 May 2015 05:02 PM

Thanks will pm's you both. Ideally i wanted the same turbo as my 1993 WRX had as that was brutle power, the delivery was like a sledge hammer, but it was years ago when i was new to Imprzea's so i never looked what turbo it was running.

The lad who bought it off me came with his mate and his mate said it was faster than his WRX, so not sure.

joz8968 23 May 2015 07:07 PM

If it's a 1993 saloon (or STi Wagon) it would indeed have been a TD05 16g as OEM fitment.

I agree. When my old 93 WRX had a 'stage 1' re-map to 282bhp (from std 237), I really dug it. Good turbo for the power/spool compromise. Has a decent, exciting 'kick' to it when it comes on song.

They're allegedly good for 340+ on a good day (supporting mods dependent). So you're covered (as you are with the other turbos mentioned on here).

jaygsi 24 May 2015 10:36 PM

I don't think it was a sti, it was registered as a 2.0L i think, i contacted DVLA to get them to change it to WRX.

So does the power delivery depend more on the turbo or the remap? As you said that kick and you get thrown back in your seat with a sudden blast of power, and passengers saying it will give them whip lash thats what i want.

joz8968 25 May 2015 10:22 AM

The way the mapper maps in the boost profile contributes to that feeling. But also, the actual size of the turbo is also responsible: the bigger the turbine and/or compressor, the more lag. And it is that which gives you that perceived powerful kick; that transition from nothing to 'whooaah!'

Now the 16g isn't a particularly a big turbo for a 2.0, but it does have a small bit of lag, then kicks quite hard. If you really like that delivery, then I'd recommend.

But if you like a more 'instant' low down and linear-type response, then the tiny TD04L is hard to beat. Albeit it'll start to run out of puff at the top end, which the 16g doesn't so much.

A good compromise between the two would be the STI 5/6's VF28.

But for a goal of 300bhp, you certainly don't want to fit any bigger a turbo than those mentioned... You'd just introduce FAR too much lag and completely knacker the driveability, and ultimately, the enjoyment. :(

Dc5_250bhp 17 June 2015 09:16 PM

Hi buddy got a vf23 turbo here if interested still

jaygsi 19 June 2015 12:20 AM

Cheers for info, i wish i'd taken notice of what turbo my past impreza had. But i was newbie in those days. It picked up so well and was amazing for over taking, aloud me to overtake safely on roads which the td04 struggles with, as it doesn't pick up speed fast enough. Where my old one delivered the power in a big lump.

As has been said a simple map might sort that out.

Originally Posted by joz8968 (Post 11687018)
The way the mapper maps in the boost profile contributes to that feeling. But also, the actual size of the turbo is also responsible: the bigger the turbine and/or compressor, the more lag. And it is that which gives you that perceived powerful kick; that transition from nothing to 'whooaah!'

Now the 16g isn't a particularly a big turbo for a 2.0, but it does have a small bit of lag, then kicks quite hard. If you really like that delivery, then I'd recommend.

But if you like a more 'instant' low down and linear-type response, then the tiny TD04L is hard to beat. Albeit it'll start to run out of puff at the top end, which the 16g doesn't so much.

A good compromise between the two would be the STI 5/6's VF28.

But for a goal of 300bhp, you certainly don't want to fit any bigger a turbo than those mentioned... You'd just introduce FAR too much lag and completely knacker the driveability, and ultimately, the enjoyment. :(