ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Anyone got one of those Karcher Window Vacs? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1024689-anyone-got-one-of-those-karcher-window-vacs.html)

alcazar 17 May 2015 12:12 PM

Anyone got one of those Karcher Window Vacs?

My Mrs just ordered one after seeing a demo at Homebase...who were, or course, out of stock.

It LOOKS like it does a good job, but...............?

Plus the additive for washing is VERY VERY expensive.........

ALi-B 17 May 2015 12:22 PM

Its Italian and electrical.

I won't say any more ;) :D

ScoobLou 17 May 2015 12:31 PM

We have had for over year and my partner thinks its great.

I can't comment as cleaning the windows is a mans job. :D

lordharding 17 May 2015 12:32 PM

Get one
Brillant
Used to take the misses 3 hours to do the conservatory now less then a half hour
So easy to use
Don't buy the chemical cleaning stuff
Normal washing up liquid and a cloth / blade or a blade on a long handle from BM for a fiver give the windows a wipe over then scrape the cleaner downwards and over Lap slightly for a streak free finish
I bought one for work and the lads can clean 8 metres of large windows in half an hour so easy and saved me a fortune from £20 a week window cleaners

Occasionally on offer amazon / hot uk deals for £40 but worth every Penny

Chip 17 May 2015 12:56 PM

They are very good, did my windows yesterday, so quick and easy.

tarmac terror 17 May 2015 01:09 PM

I'll check back for the thread in about 3 months, where this unit will have spectacularly failed, or sucked out the seals on all the windows on Alcazar's house!!!! :)

You just know with his luck, this will not be pain free purchase!

alcazar 17 May 2015 05:51 PM

LOL, it's my wife as has bought it so I MIGHT be OK........Keep watching......

stevebt 17 May 2015 07:52 PM

Isn't it cheaper to use a window cleaner as if you buy one you will have to clean your windows and I could think of better ways to spend my time than washing windows.

alcazar 17 May 2015 08:13 PM

Dunno about your window cleaner, but we can't get ours to do the insides?

CREWJ 17 May 2015 08:21 PM

I've been looking at these too. Looks like a good buy.

stevebt 17 May 2015 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11683420)
Dunno about your window cleaner, but we can't get ours to do the insides?

The inside doesn't get the rain and bird poo so obviously doesn't require what is needed to wash the outside. I'm sure a damp cloth will be cheaper and easier :)

steve jackson 17 May 2015 09:40 PM

window vac

Wife said they are fine until you come down to the sill then they will not let you get to bottom of window, so you say turn it on it's side and go across that's ok unless you have collected water in them then it leaks out :-)

hodgy0_2 18 May 2015 08:08 AM

What's wrong with the traditional window cleaners method

What "problem" is it solving, getting rid of excess water?

Miniman 18 May 2015 09:22 AM

Got one. Does make cleaning windows fast. I use it regularly inside (though that is not required more than a few times a year). Also on the bathroom mirrors (where the kids have put pictures in the condensation that stays even after they are dry). Also on the glass shower doors (hard water area) and on the shower walls. We do have a window cleaner, but the dog paws the patio window to get in, so I do those outside too a lot more regularly than the window cleaner comes.

Solves a problem in that I can remove water better than any other way (wipers/cloths) and also use it for some cleaning window duties.

Mine doesn't leak on its side, unless the water tank is over it's fill level or not very well charged.

alcazar 18 May 2015 10:02 AM

We have two quite large windows in dining and lounge, I can NEVER seem to get them smear free. Inside.

Yes, this is supposed to do that as well as removing all excess water. i tried a decent squeegee, but it either leaves overlap marks or too much water on the botton and cill...or both.

Anyway, she wants one...so there we have it;)

silver-sub 18 May 2015 10:16 AM

Is this suitable for car windows too?

urban 18 May 2015 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11683643)
We have two quite large windows in dining and lounge, I can NEVER seem to get them smear free. Inside.

First world problems :)

alcazar 18 May 2015 11:54 AM

It's just me and glass.......mirrors are the same, you rub and rub with clean paper towels, you can still see misty streaks.

joz8968 18 May 2015 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by urban (Post 11683707)
First world problems :)

hehe

urban 18 May 2015 12:03 PM

You're just as bad :D
Can't get out of bed 5 mins earlier to make a cup of tea

AndyBaker 18 May 2015 01:02 PM

I've got to say ours has been brilliant and watching her do it is a treat especially the bottom of the conservatory doors :-)

ALi-B 18 May 2015 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11683721)
It's just me and glass.......mirrors are the same, you rub and rub with clean paper towels, you can still see misty streaks.

Try some Autoglym glass polish. (use sparingly to avoid dust, apply with damp cloth, wipe off when dry with a dry cloth) :)

kevo10 18 May 2015 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by steve jackson (Post 11683498)
Wife said they are fine until you come down to the sill then they will not let you get to bottom of window, so you say turn it on it's side and go across that's ok unless you have collected water in them then it leaks out :-)

Yes , this was my thought when i was looking at them. And on the TVad, they dont show what happens there

kevo10 18 May 2015 01:28 PM

Window blade and a couple of microfibre cloths for mw

joz8968 18 May 2015 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by urban (Post 11683730)
You're just as bad :D
Can't get out of bed 5 mins earlier to make a cup of tea

Totally. :D

joz8968 18 May 2015 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by AndyBaker (Post 11683750)
I've got to say ours has been brilliant and watching her do it is a treat especially the bottom of the conservatory doors :-)

:norty: :thumb:

+Doc+ 18 May 2015 08:44 PM

I think they are a great invention, streak free windows with no hassle and in no time.
Would be lost without it.

alcazar 18 May 2015 09:36 PM

Well, it arrived.

Fully charged. Now....do I have a go tomorrow, or leave it for her?

And if I take the second option, how do I remove the dust from it before using? LOL

BTW: I have a sneaking suspicion that the very expensive cleaning solution for glass is none other than dishwasher rinse aid..............:rolleyes:

Coc-ker 19 May 2015 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11684126)
BTW: I have a sneaking suspicion that the very expensive cleaning solution for glass is none other than dishwasher rinse aid..............:rolleyes:

The solution will just be a light detergent, mainly to assist in squeegee 'glide' but also to cut the slight greasiness that interior windows seem to get from condensation.

Just use Fairy.

Tim

ALi-B 19 May 2015 08:02 AM

It'll be anything that has a rinsing agent.

So yeah fairy, rinse aid etc will work.

Personally I'd try car shampoo (one with a rinse agent) as washing up liquid is very corrosive. Car shampoo is much more milder.