ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Fixed bucket seats (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1024538-fixed-bucket-seats.html)

orangeman 13 May 2015 11:12 PM

Fixed bucket seats

May be a stupid question but is it better for a bucket seat to be bolted in so it doesn't move or better bolted onto sliding rails.

ross_jsy 14 May 2015 12:01 AM

Better to be bolted on side mounts, however quality slide mounts won't be an issue.

Remember, a fixed back bucket seat is part of a safety system compromising of a cage and harnesses. You will submarine in a crash with a normal 3 point belt, and without a cage, if you were to flip the car, you have the potential to be trapped upright between the seat and the crushed roof, causing back injuries

jura11 14 May 2015 01:49 AM

Hi there

Depends on more factors,will be yours car using someone else than you(girlfriend or wife?) and he/she is different height than you,if yes then I would go with BuddyClub rails,they're best,we are run them on our wagon,without the issue

And they should be mounted/bolted to sliding rail if you want to use or you can go route of floor mounted base(I think this selling OMP or Sparco)

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

orangeman 14 May 2015 08:03 AM

Thanks for comments. So far I have solid bucket seats. 4 point harnesses. Omp sub frames, omp sliding rails and a set of side mount rails. Was just wondering if to use the sliding rails or just bolt side rails to sub frame. But I think fitting them so they slide is a good idea I case other people need to drive the car. And I'm a bit annoyed as I have just heard about the buddy club ones would have been a lot better I think.

Rescue Dude 14 May 2015 08:16 AM

Isn't it an MoT fail if the seats don't slide backwards and forwards?

orangeman 14 May 2015 08:19 AM

Dono it might be I never thot of that.

JonMc 14 May 2015 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Rescue Dude (Post 11681436)
Isn't it an MoT fail if the seats don't slide backwards and forwards?

Technically yes, unless the car is obviously built as a track or competition car in which case there is a check box on the MOT form (so I am led to believe)...

Rescue Dude 14 May 2015 08:27 AM

Just checked and it IS a fail though I think the MoT Dude would be a bit picky to fail it if the seat is fitted correctly and safely.

Rescue Dude 14 May 2015 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by JonMc (Post 11681438)
Technically yes, unless the car is obviously built as a track or competition car in which case there is a check box on the MOT form (so I am led to believe)...

Just reading that part now and you are correct.

orangeman 14 May 2015 08:29 AM

Never knew that learn something new every day. Will proberly attempted to fit it with the sliding rails and side mount rails.

Steve Whitehorn 14 May 2015 08:17 PM

Although sliding rails are more expensive than the bars fixed in that hold the seats in one position it is occasionally useful to have the ability to move the seat position.
I am a smallish bloke, but say on the rare occasion say Matty or say my 6ft 4 buddy in kent needs to move the car from A to B or onto a workshop then having a sliding seats is really useful.
Cheers
Steve

I would go for 5 point harnesses if possible to counter submarineing

orangeman 14 May 2015 09:04 PM

Cheers for the comment I have gone with the sliding rail option. Even tho the seats probs won't move it is handy as you say to move them if needed.

neil-h 14 May 2015 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Whitehorn (Post 11681753)
I would go for 5 point harnesses if possible to counter submarineing

Is submarineing actually an issue away from a race track?

Rescue Dude 15 May 2015 08:04 AM

The problem with having a five or six point harness is that if it's not tight enough, and by that I mean as tight as it needs to be in competition, and you have a heavy front impact you can fracture your pelvis.

I don't think that submarining is a big problem on four point harnesses that are done up really tight. The problem is I doubt very few people here do them up tight enough any way.