ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Decat question (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1024508-decat-question.html)

Matt23 13 May 2015 11:56 AM

Decat question

I've just got myself a standard STI spec d and was wondering if I can remove the 2nd cat pipe (after the downpipe), centre resonator and change the back box without it causing any running issues or engine lights coming up?

All advice welcome

Matt

MDscooby 13 May 2015 12:19 PM

I think the hawkeyes can be a bit funny with you if you remove any of the Cats and not map it afterwards.

What backbox you sticking on?

Matt23 13 May 2015 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by MDscooby (Post 11681017)
I think the hawkeyes can be a bit funny with you if you remove any of the Cats and not map it afterwards.

What backbox you sticking on?

Thinking of an afterburner raptor or blitz Nur spec S at the moment.

MDscooby 13 May 2015 02:07 PM

:facepalm: you do know that the D in Spec-D stands for discrete don't you? so its meant to look like a WRX but it's an STI underneath, great if you want a sleeper car. Stick on either of those exhausts and you might as well have just bought a normal STI.

If you want more noise change to a De-resonated center pipe but go for a RaceBox exhaust so it maintains the standard look. Remove any of the Cats and you'll need a re-map.

Matt23 13 May 2015 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by MDscooby (Post 11681090)
:facepalm: you do know that the D in Spec-D stands for discrete don't you? so its meant to look like a WRX but it's an STI underneath, great if you want a sleeper car. Stick on either of those exhausts and you might as well have just bought a normal STI.

If you want more noise change to a De-resonated center pipe but go for a RaceBox exhaust so it maintains the standard look. Remove any of the Cats and you'll need a re-map.

Great thanks for that info mate and I think I will just change the centre section and back box now as don't want to go down the remap route just yet :thumb: and yes I do know what the D stands for, but I just can't bear to not have that nice burble.

The Trooper 1815 13 May 2015 03:08 PM

The lack of burble is due to equal length headers, not the exhaust or the cats.

Matt23 13 May 2015 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815 (Post 11681126)
The lack of burble is due to equal length headers, not the exhaust or the cats.

Oh fair enough, I didn't know that so thanks for your input :thumb:

jaygsi 13 May 2015 03:50 PM

Yea stay away from those equal lenght exhaust manifolds, they take away your burble.

Jonnys3 13 May 2015 04:07 PM

Look at Scoobyworld's catback offerings ... I had the Racebox catback system to my bugeye and it gave off the lovely burble without being overly loud or enough to annoy my neighbours. Suffice to say I will be having this fitted to my Hawkeye when they have the racebox back in stock.

The Trooper 1815 13 May 2015 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jonnys3 (Post 11681159)
Look at Scoobyworld's catback offerings ... I had the Racebox catback system to my bugeye and it gave off the lovely burble without being overly loud or enough to annoy my neighbours. Suffice to say I will be having this fitted to my Hawkeye when they have the racebox back in stock.

You will not get the burble as you will have equal length headers, am I speaking a foreign language?

Lunchmoney 13 May 2015 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815 (Post 11681233)
You will not get the burble as you will have equal length headers, am I speaking a foreign language?

Yes, "headers" is american. ;)

The Trooper 1815 13 May 2015 08:52 PM

In my defence Your Honour I was thinking JDM and not exploding 2.5's.

Sorry.

Edmondo 13 May 2015 09:19 PM

Got to have a decat - sorry I think scoobies are made for decatting regardless of shape and spec

Lunchmoney 14 May 2015 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815 (Post 11681308)
In my defence Your Honour I was thinking JDM and not exploding 2.5's.

Sorry.

That's ok, I was just having fun. Hence the smiley face ;)

Norman Dog 14 May 2015 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by MDscooby (Post 11681090)

I bought mine because I wasn't a great fan of the ghastly interior in the STi.
They will never be a sleeper as such, still always get people wanting to take you on.:lol1:

Matt23 15 May 2015 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Norman Dog (Post 11681728)
I bought mine because I wasn't a great fan of the ghastly interior in the STi.
They will never be a sleeper as such, still always get people wanting to take you on.:lol1:

Totally agree mate, it's not really a sleeper in my eyes either and I didn't buy it to go unnoticed as such, I got it to make my own :thumb: