ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Dump value which isn't too loud? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1023845-dump-value-which-isnt-too-loud.html)

willshill 29 April 2015 03:41 PM

Dump value which isn't too loud?

Hi all!

I have a 03 WRX Blob and I'm looking to upgrade my blow off valve but I want something which isnt too loud when plodding but makes a nice noise when booting it.

I don't want to hear a loud WHOOOSH when i'm pulling out of Tescos car park at 15 mph :)

Any suggestions?

Much appreciated!

alcazar 29 April 2015 05:05 PM

PLEASE: do a search on here for dumpvalves.

Upgrade? No such thing...in fact many aftermarket ones will make the Scoob engine run badly, not to mention cause things like borewash, which could damage your engine/cat etc.

Stick with the standard, save your money.

If you MUST waste money, stick with the recirculating type.

And no...they don't woosh.

willshill 29 April 2015 05:28 PM

Hi!
Thanks for your response. I have searched on here and I am aware that Bailey and HKS are very popular. But lots of people mention that some are louder than others in their experience...I simply want to know which are the quieter of the BOVs used by people on here.

Much appreciated

Iqy7861 29 April 2015 05:48 PM

Do a search on YouTube dude, you'll get an idea of various Dv, there's loads, baileys HKS Forge Turbosmart etc, it'll give you a bit of an idea. Hope that helps

MaxA 29 April 2015 05:59 PM

you might think about a GFB which is adjustable

alcazar 29 April 2015 10:24 PM

Losing the will to live here...........

lordharding 29 April 2015 10:42 PM

Dumpvalves

Haven't had a thread for a few months now from a newby

Don't bother fitting one

If you wore flares and had a Nokia 3310 brick people would laugh at you
Same people would laugh off you had a whhhooossshhh valve fitted

willshill 30 April 2015 10:09 AM

haha understood!

Question 2... Are these valves fitted post MAF?

If I block the re-circulation pipe, Will the car cope with the pressure drop as it is?

Thanks!

alcazar 30 April 2015 10:35 AM

It might.......but they are fitted to stop turbo stall which can cause turbo damage.

Why risk it and borewash and an engine that runs badly in order to impress folk?

Just lean out of the window when you change gear, shout, "Pssssssh! Look at meeeeeeeeeeee!"

:D

willshill 30 April 2015 10:42 AM

haha! I think you can buy electric ones for non turbo cars!

excuse my ignorance.... I know they are replaced to deal with higher pressures when larger turbos are installed, but why don't they all recirculate? unless you have some serious airflow, anyone who vents to atmosphere is just doing it for the sound, surely??

BrownPantsRacing 30 April 2015 10:58 AM

:facepalm:

jaygsi 30 April 2015 11:17 AM

I have a Dv on mine and to be honest i like it, but to make it safe the car needs remapping for the DV, if this is the case then your worry free, if not i'd refit the standard Recirculating until you get it remapped, same as i'm doing.

BrownPantsRacing 30 April 2015 11:41 AM

I too have an HKS chav valve on mine. Car was mapped with it fitted. I'm a very old chav, but I like it so there!

beardo47 30 April 2015 01:50 PM

GFB deceptor for sale on the forum, fully adjustable from full recirc to full vta or anywhere in between.

alcazar 30 April 2015 02:14 PM

That's daft.........since the mapping ought to be looked at if going from one to t'other, has it an adjustable map too?

BrownPantsRacing 30 April 2015 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11673199)
That's daft.........since the mapping ought to be looked at if going from one to t'other, has it an adjustable map too?

You can buy a seperate link bar that links the dump valve to the ECU map. It's not cheap, but worth it! :lol1:

jaygsi 30 April 2015 03:34 PM

Your not a true chav unless you use the term headers and have your car stickered up, then your a true chav.

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing (Post 11673100)
I too have an HKS chav valve on mine. Car was mapped with it fitted. I'm a very old chav, but I like it so there!

BrownPantsRacing 30 April 2015 03:36 PM

I have 3 tiny stickers on my car and a small BrownPantsRacing sticker in the rear window. Does that count?

My headers are mint bruv! Innit!

jaygsi 30 April 2015 04:00 PM

No sorry mate, your car needs to be covered in them, like this.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzY0WDEwMj...VO1G2/$_57.JPG

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing (Post 11673254)
I have 3 tiny stickers on my car and a small BrownPantsRacing sticker in the rear window. Does that count?

My headers are mint bruv! Innit!

BrownPantsRacing 30 April 2015 04:06 PM

Does the default setting not apply then? I have a subaru, therefore I'm a chav?

I'm very disappointed.

willshill 30 April 2015 04:30 PM

haha! I have found that 1) Girls detest them and 2) everyone assumes you are a d**khead

But I am a d**khead...and I love the car... so :hjtwofing

The Trooper 1815 30 April 2015 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by willshill (Post 11673284)
haha! I have found that 1) Girls detest them and 2) everyone assumes you are a d**khead

But I am a d**khead...and I love the car... so :hjtwofing

:wall:

BrownPantsRacing 30 April 2015 04:35 PM

1). I'm married. Wife wants girls detest me.
2). I'm a fukctard already.

Dazzles Fiesti 02 May 2015 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by jaygsi (Post 11673249)
Your not a true chav unless you use the term headers

:wonder:

So every North American is a chav???

Barxy 02 May 2015 08:39 PM

Why do some people hate them? Ots each to their own really.
Personally i love them, and who cares if you have one or not.

Anyway how is it anymore chavvy than a noisy exhaust? Its not.

Oh and they dont blow your engine up :facepalm: noones ever blown their engine from fitting a BOV... If they have then give us some evidence?

alcazar 03 May 2015 11:19 AM

No-one said they blow engines up.

But they DO cause fuelling problems, which CAN lead to borewash, oil dilution, and possible bearing wear, plus burnt valves.

WHY risk it for something that gives NO performance upgrade, just a daft noise?

Barxy 03 May 2015 12:04 PM

There really is no proof. Theres more risk in people who rag their car to the limit constantly.

And im sure many will argue a loud exhaust is a daft noise only for chavs....

RedScoob 03 May 2015 02:31 PM

Just get a mushroom or cone filter, they make a surging noise when you let your foot off. Which is exactly why I've bought a standard airbox and filter to reverse the mod...

BrownPantsRacing 05 May 2015 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by RedScoob (Post 11674751)
Just get a mushroom or cone filter, they make a surging noise when you let your foot off. Which is exactly why I've bought a standard airbox and filter to reverse the mod...

Probably even worse for your car than a dump valve if you don't adjust the map for it!

edsel 05 May 2015 09:38 AM

Im running a forge VTA on a V2, I havent suffered borewash pugwash or carwash. The only valid argument I've heard about VTA valves is if you like the noise or not, but then Im not an expert with 2000+ posts like Lord Hardon. Talking about chavtastic cars, have you seen Lord hardons uk turdo, the bay looks like a 5 year old has been at it with a big box of crayola.
Call forge motorsport they will advise you on what dump valve to use, they'll also shim and fit the correct spring.